General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

my friend was looking to replace his i7 920 that had finally blown out (really a great cpu over the years), and asked me what to get. being a die hard AMD fan i said "easy, go and pick yourself up an i7 6700k". should go good with the 390 he just picked up. my legacy 1090t continues to truck along, ever growing wiser and more prone to the occasional "whoopsie daisy".

2. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

[Random suggestion]Asus Z170-K[\Random suggestion]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

so im just starting to realize how much money i have in parts. For example, i have one of THESE and didnt realize it cost that much. i got it in a quadra 950 for 10 bucks. I have other things like that as well. A couple cpu accelerators for macs, and some non mac parts as well. could make serious money if i started an ebay store. but my inner hoarder is telling me no.

4. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Well, Time Warner is getting a little nosey. It seems that one Imagine Dragons song and one movie were a little too much for them.

Come at me, boys. I'm waiting for you.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

They have noticed my extensive collection of legal Linux ISOs... However, they didn't notice any of the various games I have. Very well, carry on.

6. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

My ISP couldn't care less what I do, they blocked off the main few torrent and pirate sites but you can get by that with a VPN. Otherwise they don't seem to care.

7. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

OTOH I might upgrade to 300mbps for $80/month. Currently paying $70 for 30mbps and tv. With TV the 300mbps offer might be $110.

8. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Now, something quite peculiar happened to me today. I can't prove it so you guys will just have to trust me. On a Windows Server 2012 system I was working on at school (i5-2300, 4GB ram, named Odin) was running some CPU heavy stuff, and when I check Task Manager, it reported 101% CPU usage. I just wish I could prove it...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Panda_Panzer

Panda_Panzer
    Expand Collapse

Whelp... The magic of school computers ;)

although that might just be the computer's way of showing that it is being overloaded? Just a thought.

10. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

Ah yes, the glorious Time Warner Cable or as its called in the Aloha state Oceanic Time Warner Cable :p.

The cable/Internet monopoly of Hawaii lol.

11. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Turned day old Windows 10 install off, turned Windows 10 on, Windows 10 broke.

This OS is the worst experience I've ever had on a computer.

Finally got it fixed after 4 system restore attempts, I'll just not shut down in future or something :|

#4531 VeyronEB, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  12. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Congratulations! You have discovered hyperthreadings bigger brother, megathreading! Megathreading takes into account how long the electricity takes to travel when sending the cpu instructions. As the processed data is still in the cpu, but close to being on its way out, the next calculation is already on its way in. This allows the last 1 percent and the first 1 percent of a command to inhabit the cpu at once boosting performance by 1 percent. Trust me I'm a "doctor" of computer science.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AwesomeRacer456

AwesomeRacer456
    Expand Collapse

Guys I need help, Every time I started the computer up, the monitor said NO SIGNAL. It's on the right input, and no matter how hard I tried, it doesn't work.
    The last thing I remembered is playing Tasty Blue, but the low resolution error occurred, and I forced the game to make it work, then I crashed the desktop and now I'm stuck in safe mode. :(
    Untitled.png
    Any ideas? This is my first time encountering this problem.

14. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

hey, what's the current best half-height graphics card available?

15. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

There's a low profile 750Ti, probably the best you can get.

16. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Huh, neat

So how well would this game with an old c2d e8500? (I already know the 750ti does well with newer and higherish end cpus (such as my I5) but being the c2d is much less powerful, curious as to how it'd do (for other games, not games such as beam, although ill probably end up trying that anyway, probably the most played games will be minecraft, gmod, skyrim, farming simulator, car mechanic simulator, euro truck, that kind of thing))

17. AwesomeRacer456

AwesomeRacer456
    Expand Collapse

After 8 hours... I finally fixed the problem!
    I had a Windows Vista disk lying around in my box full of things I don't need.
    Untitled.jpg
    Yes I know, it's a Windows Vista but it's the only Disk I have here. while My windows 8.1 disk does the same thing as my Windows 8.1 Problem.
    I'll probably get a better OS later on.

18. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

it works quite well because i had a e6600 and 750 ti and stuff like gmod farming simulator and car mechanic sim and euro truck were the games i played with that and i colud get around 50-60fps most of the time

19. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

My boost clock is just a little inflated by windows logic.. just a little.

• Like Like x 2
  20. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Beam loves CPU's. There are a lot of games where a C2D is completely fine, but they really show their age when the compute power is needed.

In short: I don't think a poor, defenseless Core 2 stands a chance against BeamNG.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice