General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I have a PC that keeps slaughtering my MSI R9 280X's, to the point i'm surprized that SCAN will continue to RMA them as I feign cluelessness. But my cooling nightmare is neverending, I cannot keep it below 80 degrees under benchmarking stress. Even going to the length of pointing a desk fan directly at it with the side off. The stock cooler seems boderline inadequate for this thing when it's under maximum load and I believe I keep frying them.They have a lifespan of about 9 months in here. With constant dusting and stuff.

Really annoyed that removing the stock cooler voids the warrenty. I can see what my airflow is doing whenever I need to clean it, and air is moving over the card and my fans really do kick out a lot of air. I'm a bit stuck. To the point I'm thinking it'll be a good idea to sit a fan ontop of the power supply that blows directly onto the card from inside.

#4561 Hati, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  2. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

I'm an idiot. Of course I meant PWM.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

psu fans are intakes and could be half your problem if they're too close together

4. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

My PSU is actually now 'upside down' so it's air supply for it has nothing to do with the inside of my case anymore. Air in through a vent at the base of the case, and out the back of the supply.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

ah fair enough then.

Is the GPU cooler a blower style or open air?

6. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

This is where amd threw the r9 200 series in the garbage. The reference design was still hardly adequate when the hottest card they made consumed 180watts. Now they consume 100 watts on top of that and expect that blower to work. As a fun fact, someone broke the record for best over clock on air for a 5870 with the stock cooler. He took the blower fan out and using duct tape, attached a leaf blower to the inlet. I wonder if he filmed the whole thing in action. The 290x I have has a triple fan cooler and it runs nice and cool.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Had a quick google, open air twin fan. Some cases benefit more from blowers. Or some lack the airflow through the GPU region to keep the hot air from the sides of the cooler moving through the case. Might be worth looking at.

8. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

aye, I will. like I said, I was considering sitting a casefan inside my pc ontop of the power supply to shove air around more.

9. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Cooler came today, Installed it in the front fan bays looks better to me, cleaner.

DSC_1008.JPG

And heres some temps before with my 212evo and after with this AIO after thirty minutes of unrealistic load. (Small FTTs in Prime95)

10. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

just a question how much faster is a tegra 4i chip over a arm 11 chip?

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

From that info alone, not possible to determine. It would be like saying how much faster is an i5-2500 than an AMD chip. You are comparing a single processor model with an entire family of products, no direct comparison can be drawn. ARM11 is simply a core design and has been implemented in many models.

Either way though. The 4i uses a quad core ARM Cortex A9 core at 2.0ghz. The Cortex A9 can be compared to the ARM11, thats a core versus a core now. Far far higher instructions per clock on the A9, few Arm11 products ever reached more than 1ghz too so the tegra specifically has that bonus. Its also the newer ARMv7 instruction set rather than the older ARMv6 instruction set. Most ARMv6 devices did not have hardware floating point units, all ARMv7 ones did, even then, the ARMv7 one is far more capable than the old ARMv6 one ever was.

Cant summarise it mathematically. But effectively: significant.
    --- Post updated ---
    Those 212 evo temps, what??? Sure you didnt have some sort of issue with either airflow through your 212 evo or its mounting. I have a 110W package power being recorded and yet in the same test sit around the 45c mark.

12. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

You can probably get it a good margin over 5 Ghz like that.
    Ridiculous speed...
    Oh, you're right. I wondered at first, either.

13. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

The arm 11 is the one from the new 3ds 268Mhz-804Mhz

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

In that case your question is answered above. You tell me

15. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I'm fairly sure it was drawing much more than 80W at that overclock, I don't think HWmonitor accounts for extra wattage draw, just the max of what the stock CPU wattage is. My 212 evo was mounted correctly flat against the CPU with no play.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

HW Monitor does have some motherboard sensing, the wattage goes up and down on mine and doesnt actually correspond to my chips official wattage draw of 95W. Even so, that is unusually high. I'd query issues with airflow through the block in that case.

17. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

My 212evo wasn't in the best of condition when I last used it, I'd used it for experiments in the past and it's had fins broken off and dented.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Mine i got for £20 unboxed after a customer returned it to maplin before. was a pretty good buy I think

• Like Like x 1
  19. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I think I'm at the limit of my chip clock wise, 4.6GHz at 1.34v anything higher I can't seem to get stable. Still one hell of a lot higher than the stock 3.4GHz. On a P67 chipset too.
    --- Post updated ---

Just replaced the stock fans with my Arctic Cooling F12's, they do a way better job and have dropped my temps by at leased 4°C

20. Feinstein

Feinstein
    Expand Collapse

Extremely random question that I didn't think warranted the creation of a new thread: What is the reason behind so many people holding out against Windows 10 and sticking with 7? It doesn't make much sense to me; from my experience, 10 is very similar to 7 in most ways, and is an even an improvement in some ways, especially start-up time.
    To me, those people seem a lot like those who hated the new forum, but were perfectly fine with it a week later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice