General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

It all comes down to preference really, some people don't like how different it is, some people hate how it wants to harvest all of your data and information to sell to the highest bidder, some people think it's unreliable and buggy. I was one of the people still clinging onto windows XP as Windows 7 started coming out, purely because I didn't want to let go of XP, 7 was so different, but I got used to 7 and loved it. And now we have Windows 10. Nobody want's to let go of 7 mostly because they love it. Well that's my 2 cents anyways.

2. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

So should I get a Lumia 930 or 735? I don't care about 40€ more or less, just so much:

930:
    - 2.2Ghz instead of 1.2Ghz
    - 20 MP camera instead of 7 MP
    - 1080p instead of 720p

735:
    - Has a swappable battery where the 930 hasn't (Y u do dis, Microsoft).

3. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

In my case: it's because ive had nothing but problems with it(on one pc, start menu and taskbar constantly fail and need a complete restart, on another it constantly looses connection to the internet for no reason at all (both wired and wireless, not the adapter as it works fine on other os's), and on my personal pc (specs in Sig) it's, well its surprisingly fine but after the other 2 pcs problems, I don't trust it (and no its not a problem of needing reinstalled, or needing drivers or something, tried all that already)), while my 8.1 install still works exactly how I need it to, and I know how to get to everything, only reason I have 10 at all is because of dx12, but until dx12 games start coming out, I use 8.1 the majority of the time (also note that in my case I'm not sticking with 7, I'm sticking with 8.1 (I'm one of those weird people that not only like it, but even prefer it), that said I do have a 7 partition as well, albeit only used for games like midtown madness 2 and driver:sf)

#4583 logoster, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
  4. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

I love windows 8.1 too. i wish i still had it on this system.

5. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Confession bear moment: If I could still use Windows XP, I would. I had my 6-core AMD system running it, but that system has run everything. I started out with Vista on it.

Confession bear moment 2: I really, truly love Windows Vista.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Neither, get an x40/x50. They get Win10 which is much better than WP8.1. You can run the Win10 Insider (test) build on x30/5 phones, and it's stable enough for daily use, but it's got some annoying bugs and updates break things often.

TBH if you're getting a higher end device (8/9xx) you're better off with a mid range Android. WP is only really good for budget phones.

7. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Hooray! Someone else also loves Vista! It is my favorite Windows OS, by far. It was hated so much because at the time of release, only 10% of computers (the ones that people already had, not ones for sale) met the recommend system requirements.

8. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Nonone told me I couldn't run Win10 on the others. Damn.

The 950 is expensive a.f., by the way. I'm gonna ask if that can be made a partial gift, because I have birthday in two days and I wanna let my relatives bleed out, at least until they get their revenge. :p
    Otherwise, I'm just gonna go with a cheaper one (that I can't brag with).

9. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

> implying you can brag with a Lumia

Really though, for 950 money you might want to get an Android phone, Win10 is a great OS but lacks apps to do pretty much anything.
    If you don't need apps just get a lower end model (650) which does the same for less.

10. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

C'mon, if I'd tell them I spent 600€ on it I could manage it, maybe.
    Can't get a good flatrate for that. Galaxy J5 then? Or back to my Jolla (which I can at least guarantee noone else has :p)?

11. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I got bored...

DSC_1012.JPG

12. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

dat hard drive tho. looks precarious. what exactly ARE you doing even?

13. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Productive things like a productive adult child like myself should be. I'm actually just messing about with a old socket 478 pentium 4 3.2GHz hyperthreaded prescott. Windows XP gaming pc! If anything just to bring back memories, I need to find a huge ugly beige ATX case to throw it all in.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Just produced the world's first dated meme in BeamNG-orange.

Attached Files:

• i heard you like.png
  15. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I should invest in a sleeved cable set for my RM650.

DSCF9859.JPG

16. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Zip tie for life? Except if you have a window in your case (although I still don't understand why you neeed windows in cases), then why not.

17. bhorton

bhorton
    Expand Collapse

This weekend I will be swapping my 15m long VGA cable for a 1m long HDMI. The VGA was a relic of when I connected my laptop to my TV, now used to connect the monitor (also a TV) to the computer.

18. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Wait, you don't need your monitor to stand at the opposite site of the house?
    Oh wait, you're not the guy with the 55-inch.

19. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Case windows are to show off your incredibly good looking components and excellent cable management. I am one of the weird people without a case side panel at all... Bought the computer this way for $4, so it's okay. I just shove the case against a wall and don't look at it, as it looks terrible. But $4...

Oh right, I saw one of these on LTT... I wonder if he would send me the side panel...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Missing side panels are excellent for ventilationn, and you can save up to $30 of case fans. Also, you can show off you incredibly good looking components and excellent cable managment even more.
    And $4 is a good deal. Very good, especially if it still looks kinda nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice