General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

That HDR is not the same HDR that is being advertised lately.
    That one is some older tech: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_rendering

2. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Oh well. Not gonna be missing out on much anyway, I mostly enjoy the physics of beam anyway, I could run it at lowest settings if I wanted and still have an enjoyable experience.

3. luckyman

luckyman
    Expand Collapse

So update again! G27 racing wheel has been traded for a Brand new Core I5-4690K, just trying to get me a motherboard but don't exactly have the cash for now.

4. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

Windows Vista laptop update:
    It arrived this past weekend. It was really slow at first, and then I found out it was using the eco power saving plan. I put it on high performance and it was much faster. It was also running service pack 1, so I updated it to service pack 2. The new heat sink and fan work fine, and windows open pretty quickly. So far, Windows Vista was looking like an ok operating system, especially after the updates. The only real big issue for me is that the internet won't work.

5. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Built myself a sleeper. I5 2500K, Corsair Dominator 8GB, Asus GTX 660Ti. Glued the facia from a old IDE DVD drive onto a modern SATA drive, gutted the Floppy drive and hid a pair of USB ports inside it.

DSC_0636.jpg DSC_0640.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  6. Xinon

Xinon
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the previous answer guys.
    Anyway, i'm looking for a new headphone right now.
    Should i go for HyperX Cloud Core, or saving up money for Cloud II? Or is there any other options?

7. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

It depends, the Cloud II and the Core are the same headphones, however the core has fewer accessories, for example you dont get an inline controller for mic and sound settiings, you don't get the aeroplane adaptor (weird two prong thing) and you also don't get the swap able ear pads (default is leather and the others are memory foam and cloth).

I own the Cloud I and honestly haven't used any of those accessories much at all so if its not something that you see yourself using much I would totally go with the Core considering how much cheaper they are and there isnt anything else at the $59 price range thats really competitive with them.

As for my experience with them, they have been going great for over two years now and are super comfortable and strong.

8. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

both my laptop and my computer have been getting this Avast message lately:
    avastgfyasdtgjhkdsgdjhgdsfghjjs.png
    The message just pops up out of nowhere. Opera on my desktop computer and Safari on my laptop are getting this message multiple times. I ran a few virus scans using multiple virus-removal tools (Adwcleaner, JRT, etc.) and nothing comes up on them.

is anyone else getting these?

#5748 Godzilla!, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Hype Hype Hype Hype

On a more serious note Ryzen looks pretty solid. Slightly better performance compared to current gen Intel at lower prices. Hopefully they aren't hamstringed by the choice to put a million cores in a CPU rather than fewer very fast ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

hyyyyyyYYYYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPPEEEEE.
    No, but really: 40% IPC meant that they would be like 5% behind.

11. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

They aren't behind at all, the top CPU is 9% faster and at half the price. There is nothing not to like.

You took the 40% IPC thing completely wrong. They are talking about 40% IPC over the previous AMD CPUs not 40% over the best intel CPUs, they arent wizards.

12. mtslittow

mtslittow
    Expand Collapse

And according to them, it's actually risen (ryzen) to 52% from their previous 40% Zen goal.

13. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

hmm, i am not so sure, what is the reason why the R7 1800X is 100$ more expensive than the R7 1700X, they both have Xtended Frequency with only the difference being a 200mhz bump, why is there such a price bump for such a small amoint of MHZ bump

14. nicknfs

nicknfs
    Expand Collapse

It was something along the lines of higher grade cpu. So in theory the 1800x will overclock higher then the 1700x even though they are the same.

15. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

ahh, ok, thanks, although i dont see myself getting an 1800x

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Binning, alot of 1700Xs will be 1800Xs that failed to run as stable at high clocks

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

For me the r7 1700 would be pushing what I am willing to spend on a CPU by a fair amount. I am very interested to see what the r5's are like.
    --- Post updated ---
    For other people who may mistake what you are saying. This does not mean that a 1700X will not be able to reach the 200mhz higher that an 1800X runs at. All it means is that they picked the top percent chips to be the 1800X's if the difference is in fact binning. So a 1700X will still overclock absolutely fine, just likely at a higher voltage or with some other compromise.

18. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

You could run another switch from a switch without performance issues, right?

19. Acid_Bubble

Acid_Bubble
    Expand Collapse

Which one of these computers would you guys choose:

CyberpowerPC: intel i5-7400 3.0 GHz, AMD Rx 480 4GB

or

ABS Sentry Guardian: intel i5-7500 3.4 GHz, GTX 1060 3GB

I can get a good deal on the ABS Sentry Guardian but im not really familiar with that brand idk.

20. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

I would say wait, for slightly cheaper you will be able to get an AMD 5 1300 or 1400x which is also unlocked and has hyperthreading. As for the GPU, the RX 480 is a good nudge ahead of the 3gb 1060.

You will also save a decent amount building it yourself, if you're up to it. Brand wise I would say Cyberpower is probably more reliable since they are well known. A lot of pre-built PCs come with just awful cheap PSUs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice