General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

No I have a gtx 1070

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Then what is wrong with the system, when everything checks out and why shadows are what cause this CPU load, I'm telling you it is a bug in driver or BeamNG unless someone can say what settings or thing causes this.

I just made clean install of latest Geforce drivers too, there is no change, so what it can be?
    --- Post updated ---
    Custom loop, then you can get bit more out of it while Ryzen prices drop and then get Ryzen with less premium on it :)

3. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Pretty much my thinking. Besides, I think my AIO is failing. Making gargling noises every now and then.

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That sounds like if there is air in a loop, not sure about these modern closed loop systems, there is no way to add coolant easily? Maybe that would get sorted out by custom loop too.
    --- Post updated ---
    Well there goes theory about Nvidia driver bug, unless it is something weird occuring only in specific situation.

All I know is that all benchmarks show CPU and GPU performing right where they should, only thing is that with given settings with specific places on map like I posted CPU gets on it's knees, because shadows and other graphical effects that run on that single thread are causing that much load and my fps drops below 60, nothing seems to change that, I have tested a lot of things and no chance, so this retarded idiot needs ideas, these new fancy names are not helping in finding root of the issue, if it is issue with my system, which looks quite unlikely based on other tests and software.

I have read other posts about it too, so it's not happening only to my machine.

Update: There is nothing I can do about CPU maxing out with 6 lights on Romer and previously posted settings, clean reinstall of BeamNG is not affecting it, clean reinstall of Nvidia drivers is not changing it, from power management everything is maximum performance, all updates are checked, benchmarks show correct figures for CPU and GPU, I can run Intel burn in tool whole day without temps going past 50C, everything is rock stable.

Os is Win 8.1, even that should not affect, would not make sense, there is nothing which would cause a game to use more CPU than it should, it can't be throttling because it would happen also in benchmarks, so what is causing it then?

It's ridiculous, with these settings fps drops below 60fps, increasing mesh quality increases CPU load, increasing shadows increases CPU load too as well as increasing shader quality and all load up single core of CPU, there I run out of CPU power again.
    upload_2017-3-3_4-9-10.png

It is not my system, I think it is people not testing with all addon lights on roamer or something, it is not possible for only single piece of software to run at too high CPU usage, that does not make any sense, so call me idiot again or tell what it could be, because I'm clueless as an idiot, but everything does point to direction that it is BeamNG.Drive that needs more single core performance.
    upload_2017-3-3_4-11-50.png

#5824 fufsgfen, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  5. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I need some help with the particle system in Blender :/
    I was trying to make some sprinkles, but it just explodes.
    View attachment 240591

6. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I never got close to 60fps with my pc at ecu is there something wrong then?

7. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

I mean at least it looks cool...
    --- Post updated ---
    It's the 750Ti, a pretty weak card especially next to a pretty much top tier i5.

8. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

yeah you´re right but im waiting for the vega cards just to know whats up with them and maybe get one of them

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I still can't find anything wrong with my system, but still Roamer with roof lights and L+R spotlight is too much for CPU on East Coast town if high beams are on, I don't understand what is going on and how it could be that it is not happening for everyone. I don't know if with higher graphics setting and more powerful GPU load is transferred to GPU from CPU, probably not, but there is not much else that would explain under 60fps on East Coast, Cinebench looks fine to me.
    upload_2017-3-3_19-11-33.png
    --- Post updated ---
    There is even video about it, try with same settings (you have to have spotlights + rooflights added) if it does not happen then I'm most curious about what could be the cause because CPU performs just fine, even @Nadeox1 might not be able to explain what is going on here, clearly GPU is not limiting fps, with different setting I can lower GPU load as I wish, does not affect FPS much, I can lower or increase overclock of GPU without any effect to FPS:

10. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

That video looks exactly what everyone else has.

None of the cores are maxed, which means it is a GPU limitation, why its not using it 100%, who knows.

11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

But wouldn't lowering GPU clock frequency then lower FPS too? That does not happen, if CPU is 80% or over FPS can start to drop, increasing GPU load by adding for example AF is not lowering FPS, thus it is not GPU limitation.

Lowering CPU clock does lower FPS a lot though, testing this by disabling turbo frequency.

Everything points towards CPU limit, why CPU is not reaching 100% is a mystery though.

Update:
    This for example is one of the freakish things ever, if I enable SSAO in that situation, there is no change in FPS or maybe slight increase of FPS, GPU load of course increases, for me this is indication that GPU is not at limit here.

Update2: Sorry from many updates, but I fiddled around more, disabling dynamic reflections, not much of change in GPU load, big change in CPU load and increase of FPS, for me that is another indication, that GPU is not the issue.

#5831 fufsgfen, Mar 3, 2017
  12. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Press J if your FPS shoots up you got a CPU related bottleneck, if it doesn't it's GPU related.

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I get quite bit of increase, but I think that that rule does not apply here as CPU load is from graphics processing, physics run on different core. Last one on bottom row is where physics run, you can see CPU load increased as I did unpause physics, bottom row and left most is where graphics runs and pausing physics causes perhaps tiny bit of increase in CPU load and unpausing makes load go up and down bit more, averaging perhaps bit lower.
    upload_2017-3-3_20-43-40.png

One of the crazy things, if I minimize BeamNG, that is how physics thread gets to run without graphics limiting updates at all, here BeamNG was minimized, then I brought window up and graphics thread increased load while physics thread decreased load as physics are waiting graphics:

upload_2017-3-3_20-42-1.png
    If I would then disable two of the cores in Bios, I would get faster frame rate as CPU would boost to higher clock speed.

I'm quite sure it is not my system, it is how BeamNG just works at the moment, on some addon maps same effect causes even higher CPU load and more fps drop, number of shadow and shader effects processed at once or something like that is my guess, it really would be interesting to test Ryzen or GTX 1080 to see how things change, it could be there is difference in different hardware, maybe different settings will balance load over GPU and CPU differently.

CPU and GPU are waiting something, each other or something else here, why that is happening is unknown, I'm quite sure with this hardware I should not drop below 60fps with those settings.

I loose few fps when recording video, around 4fps and get more fluctuation, but you can see effect of SSAO to fps here if you don't believe that it is not GPU, you all know how heavy SSAO is for GPU so seeing not much of any change in fps like this certainly shows it is not GPU that is limiting here, I know I'm loosing lot of frames because CPU is not at 100% too, really big mystery why such is happening, with bit different settings I can get CPU to 96% or so:

So as this happens on many maps and I like to drive at night, it is really an issue, finding faster CPU is what I can think of to fix this.
    --- Post updated ---
    Problem with every CPU load monitor is that they are too slow, CPU load goes up and down very quickly, whenever it reached 100% even for a short moment, that creates a wait situation for the GPU as CPU has to process graphics data so that GPU can proceed.

Once again, you have to do things by yourself to get them done right, so I coded CPU load monitor to see if I'm hitting 100% CPU load and yes I am, it just does not show up on task manager:

Only fix is faster CPU I guess.

Updated better video, note how task manager is not showing even close to everything what is going on with the threads.

I usually try to set details etc. so that I will never get 100% CPU or GPU load, because that always causes hiccups, so I have vsync on and I aim for steady 60fps without dropping under that, even that 1050Ti is not very fast, it is enough to keep up way I'm setting up details, however high CPU load by graphics thread is the issue here and I'm quite certain same happens for others too if they know what to look and not masking the issue under GPU limits.

#5833 fufsgfen, Mar 3, 2017
  14. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Oooohhhhh

IMG_7843.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. eeEtilt

eeEtilt
    Expand Collapse

Don't mind me and my puny i5-2500...XD

In other news, the 2600K will be in my hands soon.

17. Acid_Bubble

Acid_Bubble
    Expand Collapse

So I think i'ved found that the CPU fan is what is causing the squealing noise i'm hearing because i unplugged it and it stopped so...

Im looking at a CPU cooler on Amazon and i'm wondering if it will work with the computer I have. So Here is my Computer:

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HFZWXBPMK9ZWB0G98KD1

And here is the CPU fan i will buy (if compatible):

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...4-40b1-8da6-7c1c9eb81d33&pf_rd_i=desktop&th=1

So would this work?

Or is there something else i should do?

#5837 Acid_Bubble, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  18. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Im quite interrested in how well its going to run beamng because theoretically it shouldnt be so good but it could still surprise us

19. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Let know how well it runs Beam :D

PS- Can you guys avoiding insulting each other?
    This a simple discussion thread, keep it so.

#5839 Nadeox1, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Will do! I should have the motherboard and ram within the next couple weeks. This should be fun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice