General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

We can't afford a new PSU. That 260X wants 500W, we have 480 to work with. It may run on it, but I'm not taking the risk.

Our money situation is really weird, a 650 Ti maxes us out.

If it wasn't for that power supply, he'd be getting a 7850.

2. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

I'm running a 260X on 430w no problem whatsoever.

3. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

You don't actually need 500W. Use a PSU calculator.

4. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Screw those calculators. The guy who built the thing used one. Now look where we are.

Factory recommended goes a long way.

5. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

What CPU do you have and how many hard drives?

6. monte379

monte379
    Expand Collapse

What is the best and safest way to overclock a GPU? Thanks:D

7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, EVGA, Sapphire all have their own overclocking utilities. AMD's driver suite has one built in, which works just fine.

8. monte379

monte379
    Expand Collapse

Ok thanks:D

- - - Updated - - -

amd.PNG how high should i put things that wont hurt the computer?

9. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Try 50MHz steps, play for a while and check temperatures. Overclock as much as possible while staying under 80*C. Remember to increase the power limit as you increase clock speed or it will become unstable.

10. monte379

monte379
    Expand Collapse

For every 50MHz how much percent should i put the power limit?

11. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

A Core i7 of some description. Bloomfield core, that's all I know. It's a 2 spindle rig (optical drive, 1 hard drive) with a capture card... And I think a card reader, but don't quote me on that.

I might also add in that he wants to overclock by a hew hundred MHz while staying on that PSU, I say it's maybe possible with a low wattage card, but that I don't recommend.

12. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I'm running at 105MHz over factory OC and +8% power limit, it's stable. I would clock higher and do a slight (manual) overvoltage but the voltage slider is disabled for some reason :|

13. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Wow. I sold my old 650ti for that much about 6 months ago. Good timing I guess.

14. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

And it's not like it's some off-brand. It's a really nice MSI. One hell of a deal.

15. monte379

monte379
    Expand Collapse

your talking about your voltage slider right? so for every 50MHz just put up the power limit by 4%?

16. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Bloomfield was the first gen high-end i7 architecture. All Bloomfield CPUs have a 130W TDP. A 260X has a 115W TDP. Add ~150W for chipset, hard drives etc and you get 395W. It's actually a bit less.

If the PSU is 80+ certified (or 80%+ efficiency), it will work.

Edit: If the 260X doesn't work, the 650 Ti won't either. It has a 110W TDP vs 115W for the 260X, there's almost no difference.

- - - Updated - - -

I almost bought a 650 Ti Boost when I upgraded from my 6670. It's a pretty decent card, similar performance to a 750 or a 260X.

17. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Mine was an EVGA 2GB.

18. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

It's cheap because it's a 1 gig card. It's pretty similar to his 6770, it just performed ever so slightly better.

19. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

My question is: Why the fuck would you build a PC with an i7-9xx and a 650 Ti? It's horribly unbalanced.

20. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

You don't honestly think I built this thing? I may have built some shit in my day (my rig pre-Intel, to be specific), but I would NEVER have built something as broken and horribly optimized as the hell box that was given to my friend.

I also honestly don't understand how asking for recommendations for a cheap, relatively powerful, less wattage hungry card turned into what is essentially a new computer. Nobody can afford any of this.

I mean, honestly! You people are telling me how I don't need a badass PSU for this thing. I'm getting "It'll run on 480W" when we just killed a power hungry card on it. I've measured the intake of my rig, and I'm right up against my 550W ceiling.

Here's a quick lesson on computers and power requirements:

You guys are talking about TDP, or Thermal Design Power (also referred to as Thermal Design Point). This is the amount of heat generated by the particular piece of equipment. For example, the Haswell line of Intel Core CPUs have a TDP of 84 watts. This DOES NOT mean that they use 84 watts of power. This is simply a unit of measure of how much heat is generated by the particular device. A good rule of thumb is 1.5 times the TDP gives you the actual used amount of power. So, if we apply the newly acquired logic, the Intel Haswell chips actually use 126 watts of power, NOT 84.

I did see something right though, you allotted ~150W for extra power expenses like Hard Drives and Capture Cards. That is usually a good rule of thumb, no matter how many "toys" are present on your rig.

So, let's look at the Nvidia GTX 650 Ti. The chip uses 110W of power, that is NOT the TDP rating, but the full power utilization rating from Nvidia's website. If we couple that with the i7 Bloomfield chip, which has a 130W TDP, the actual used power of the chip is 195 watts. So, we are at 305 watts for the CPU and the new GPU. If we add on the ~150W for the extra components, we get 455 watts of ACTUAL used power.

It's simple math guys. This is why PSU calculators are junk. They don't take these things into account. So, because they don't make a 455 watt power supply (at least, not consumer grade), 460 watts would work fine. But, because we have a 480 watt PSU, we can run the 650 Ti with some headroom for other devices in the future, granted, not many.

You guys treat me like I'm stupid, I may be, but at least I can TDP.

Here's another good rule of thumb, take what the PSU calculator tells you, and add 20%.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice