General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

I'm just trying out different GPUs, and despite it being equal or better on paper, my 1.5 Gb GTX 480 gets worse FPS on lower settings than a 1gb 7850 did on most things maxed out. (On Beamng) Is this just due to lack of optimization? Or am I missing something else?

2. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

You're missing the fact that the GTX 480 is a) first generation Fermi architecture and b) is ass old. Did you try frying an egg on it while testing, btw?

The HD7850 is using a DX12 compatible architecture that can still be found in one way or another in modern AMD GPUs. These are the current Polaris cards, and they run the GCN architecture, just like the HD7850, albeit in a more streamlined and better performing flavour.

3. Rolph

Rolph
    Expand Collapse

4. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Makes sense. Certain games are just far more optimized for the GTX 480 it seems, such as offroad drive. Also I tried grilling a bagel, I got some grill marks on it, but my hand got tired. Ill have to try with my case inverted sometime. It is seriously hot and loud, it is just as loud, and seems to put out more heat, than when I ran 2 5970s. (and those are already dual gpus)

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I thought you were talking about Furmark for a second when you mentioned the bagel there xD

7. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Ah, yea, the good ol' fuzzy donut of death. I love that benchmark.

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

My 560ti is Fermi too. Just a slightly quieter and cooler version of Fermi with less flames :p

9. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I remember my GTX 470 used to sound like a jet taking off while gaming and ran hot enough to heat a whole house during winter... Fermi The Pentium 4 series of GPU's.

10. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

i somehow liked that on my old pc that it got so hot i then could save money on heating the room

11. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

*Thermi

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Actually, forget what I said about that, cause my GPU received a firmware update from Gigabyte a couple months after launch in an attempt to stop cards failing so quickly. Turns out the 1Ghz clock speed (factory overclock from 822Mhz) that was the cards main selling point was a little too hot to handle for many of the cards even after their binning process.

The customer reviews are pretty damning: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125369

Mine is still absolutely fine though even if it was a little unstable for a while, guess I got lucky xD

13. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Why exactly do you have two different GPUs?

14. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Because GPU compute, essentially CUDA. I don't really do rendering all that often, but the extra 50% performance the 560ti adds to the 970 is something I really appreciate when I do. Equally if I don't care how long it will take to render something but want to play some games, I can tell the 560ti to render it while the 970 plays the games, meaning I can still game while rendering.

Same also goes for if I need to do video compression or format conversions. Since Any Video Converter can get the GPU to deal with it rather than the CPU.

The 560ti also acts as a physx card, but who really cares much about that xD

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Well, here I am again, doing another reinstall of Nvidia graphics drivers. They keep completely crapping themselves. Shadow play starts refusing to open, and trying to open the nvidia control panel crashes. How does this software ever pass QA. I am eternally baffled by how awful GPU drivers are.

The drivers are now so shoddy that it sometimes renders to the wrong screen. So my centre screen will be black, while taking mouse input, then the 1050p screen will start trying to display 1080p content. If you move the mouse over the 1050p monitor to click something there will switch to the desktop, since there is nothing there.
    Earlier today it got so confused that it took 30 seconds to try and full screen BeamNG with all of the displays randomly flickering black with the game appearing full screen (with a windows window around it no less) on every single display multiple times before it finally picked which one it wanted to render to.

At least this time they didn't totally screw up my desktop icons. All I wanted to do was record some gameplay footage.

17. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

they tried atleast.
    Screenshot_20170602-021832.png FB_IMG_1496366316770.jpg
    great scale

18. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  19. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

When you're rendering something, compressing something, and starting up ATE Playgrounds for the 1st time in BeamNG.drive, all while listening to music. When's the BSOD :p Screenshot41.png Screenshot39.png Screenshot40.png
    Update - Closed BeamNG.drive xD
    Screenshot42.png Screenshot43.png

20. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice