General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I'm on my phone so I can't see your signature. If your processor is a i7 and your lagging with two cars somethings definitely awry. I agree with Rolph try that.

2. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Welp, I've run out of thermal compound again, and I have an HTPC that needs a Core 2 Duo stuffed in it.

I might try something other than Arctic Silver 5, maybe IC Diamond. Or I might get a tube of AS5 for my personal system then a tube of Generic Compound #7™ for my everything else.

3. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Ill try it tomorrow its a i5 6600k with 16gb of ram a 750w power supply good cooling so it doesnt run hot and a 750ti the game is at normal settings

4. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Pay £1600 for a laptop with a shitty keyboard and a soundcard that starts to distort at 50% volume.

DSC_1034.jpg

Look at all that lovely clipping, 440Hz at 100% volume...

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Got a brand new in box HP 5500 CRT from eBay a couple of days back for using with my XP machine. Not the best monitor ever made by any means, but quite nice to have a brand new tube.

Might even end up replacing the CRT I use on my main PC as secondary screen since its had 12 years of school use on it before I got it, so its not got too much left in it.

Attached Files:

• IMG_0414.png
    • IMG_0421.png
    • IMG_0417.png
    • IMG_0418.png
    • Like Like x 1
  6. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

so after a quick test i found out that it definatly is the gpu because the fps dont increase if i pause the physics

7. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Bash on Windows, the best thing Microsoft has done to Windows. I'm never using the GUI again, I know the Ubuntu shell better than the command line :p
    Guess I can uninstall my Ubuntu install :)

8. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Make & model?

9. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone know where or how I could pick me up an vintage Apple computer? I've been looking at a couple of Macintosh Classic iis on Ebay and they claim they work for sometimes 60 bucks or 200. Which is a price that seems legit and would average out for something so?

10. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

MSI GT72 6QE

11. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

If you're from the US goodwill often has stuff like that and for pretty cheap. Craigslist is also a good option, really anywhere that is collection in person only is alot cheaper than anything you'd see on ebay with shipping usually. About $60 isnt bad for a working unit though.

12. iTzPolipolo

iTzPolipolo
    Expand Collapse

My MSI ge60 2pc apache overheats and crashes with the summer

13. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

By the way, did you manage to fix that other monitor?

14. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Hello, resident vintage Mac enthusiast here.

In all honesty, it's completely based upon physical appearance. Unfortunately, people buy up these vintage Macs (usually broken) for the above prices then just let them sit as a decoration item. That being said, if the $60 one works when you get it, it's a steal. However, this is assuming it comes with a matching keyboard and mouse. If the $200 one comes with peripherals, that's your better bet. It'd be less expensive in the long run, and they'd likely be the ones that came with the system.

I'd say that your better investment opportunities are in PPC Macs if you want to see rapid appreciation. Pre-G3 PPC Macs already carry a fairly heafty premium, but G3 and post are starting to appreciate heavily. For instance, I picked up a PowerMac G4 broken for $10 (plus about $40 for shipping) and I can break even all day long without fixing it.

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Nah, bash on windows has been done prior to microsoft releasing it, and the prior implementations are far superior.

16. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Oh, yeah I forgot to post about that. I ended up replacing the cap and the internal fuse as expected, then I went to power it on and nothing happened. Turns out it also had a problem with the rocker switch on the front (common failure on these as well) and sure enough the contacts were really dirty so cleaned all that up and got it looking basically new again.

Then I plugged it in after, the second I flipped the switch it made a loud popping sound, then another and thats more or less where I left it, haven't got around to looking into it but best guess is the fuse went again along with something else new. Aside from the popping it didn't appear to do anything else, so no LED, display or any tube sounds.

I'll get around to working on it again at some point probably but its a little beyond me when it comes to fully diagnosing a board like that.

17. Racermon

Racermon
    Expand Collapse

What would be better, getting a 10 series gpu sli-ready or a lower end 9 series that is also sli-ready, I may use my 950 gtx in a sli setup so bear that in mind (idk if 9 series can sli with 10 series)

18. Rolph

Rolph
    Expand Collapse

As far as I have heard, only gtx 1070 and up from 10-series are possible to run in sli. Also not a lot of games support sli, so I doubt it's even worth doing it if you could

19. Racermon

Racermon
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm then I may just double up the 9 series

20. ¿Carbohydration?

¿Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

It's funny that a song made in 1999 about technology is still relevant today.

#6580 ¿Carbohydration?, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice