General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Oh man, you're so lucky to get that for the price

It's literally better than my PC which cost about £400...

2. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

You paid $8.99 for a $300 computer... That's an absolute steal...

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Well no sh!t sherlock.... Whoever decided the price of that is very ignorant... But it's amazing to find ignorant sellers lmao

4. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

finna bust a cap in someone's anooseeee

it shouldn't be this difficult to get >400MB/s network transfer speeds

windows raid sucks too much to have a windows host for my nas

smb multichannel is too crappy on unix systems

round-robin bonding is the only bonding mode that actually increases speed for one connection but windows doesn't support it

three days later and I'm still unsatisfied with vsync on linux on my desktop and don't have bonding working

year of the linux desktop my mans

5. Racermon

Racermon
    Expand Collapse

Recently drilled holes in a side panel to fit a 120mm fan, The holes aren't perfectly aligned but it was my first time drilling something

Attached Files:

• IMG_5204.jpg
    • IMG_5205.jpg
    • IMG_5207.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Well I expect to be murdered by the IT Technician tomorrow at school, after using up all of my Photocopying allowance by printing revision guides, hopefully I don't get told off (I get £2.50/mnth and it costs 1.5p/page) so hopefully no one asks me to print anything else off (I printed revision guides for literally all my friends :p now I have 7p)

7. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Cheapest Canon DSLR + 20 year old lens I literally found in the cellar = pretty cool shots.
    IMG_00781.jpg IMG_00771.jpg IMG_00751.jpg

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

We got £5 at my secondary school/sixth form, 1p per page. You should have seen the admins faces when I (and the rest of my class) had to ask for more to finish printing computing coursework.

On a seperate topic, feels weird to see a computer monitor floating. Project racing Sim rig might actually work...
    IMG_20170622_175535.jpg
    Quite impressed with £18 for the monitor stand (with 2 day delivery), seems nicely made and robust.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

The Chinese have really been stepping up their game lately with some pretty solid quality stuff IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

My up to 27" 3 arm monitor stand is really decent quality too, it does sag a bit at the ends as they all do, but its less than an inch out. All in £37 shipped from England and a good £10 or more of that would be shipping weight.

Seems like quality on alot of cheaper stuff has went up lately, at least above the super cheap.

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

This one barely sags at all (around 3mm total), all movement comes from the clamping mechanism since it came with 3m branded (who knows if real or knock off but they felt legit) rubber sticky pads to protect the desk, the desk also twists slightly. I can even use the original monitor stand as a fairly sturdy arm rest xD
    I am leaving the original monitor stand on the monitor since I need to be able to move it between my desk and the arm depending on what I am want to use it for.

Everything is really solid, there is black plastic bushings on all of the joints to allow them to move smoothly, as they wear down over time you can tighten the joints up with an allen key, I have only had it for a day though so can't comment about lifespan of the bushings, I have been flinging it around all day though and they are still fine, so will likely last a long time before needing tightening.
    All of the paint is a really smooth to the touch black, it is rubbing off on high wear locations like the slider for the vesa mount (which has a screw for permanent attachment, cause the screen will fall out when upside down without it).
    There are cable tidies on both sections of arm, plus the one on the shaft comes with two hex shaped holes specifically to hold the included allen keys so they don't get lost. All the screws and mounting hardware come in a single bag with many compartments to keep them separated (the picture below shows the ones I didn't need, they are because different monitors use different screw sizes). It came in 3 sections that needed attaching (the base, the shaft and the arm). The instructions were clear.

Here is the branding for anyone interested:
    IMG_20170622_232904.jpg IMG_20170622_233708.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Same brand as mine, I have the dual monitor version.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Blender 2.79 is going to change the 3D buisness, with the new "Principled Shader" and De-noise features. Hype!

14. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

So I said "fuck it". Instead of getting a 90's Mac, I decided to go with the PowerPC macs or maybe a polycarbonate intel or aluminum idk. I'm having trouble deciding whether or not I should go for the newer 2007 iMac or the iMac G4 and anything in between.. The G3 is too big and heavy so no. Powermac G4 and Powermac G5 is alright. I'm personally leaning to the Powermac G5 because it's rather sexy even though it's 14 years old.

15. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

So I finally figured out what this graphics card was. Turns out it's a 1GB AMD Radeon 7470. It is slightly more powerful than I thought, I thought it was a 512 MB card. Definitely not something you can play BeamNG on, though.
    20170623_121410.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Can't believe I never uninstalled any of this CyberLink crap off of my mum's laptop... And it's been three years.
    upload_2017-6-24_0-53-40.png

17. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Hey people, do you think a 60$ second hand NZXT S340 worth it ? I much prefer the Elite but it's not cheap...

18. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

It may have taken days of work, but I finally got some cheap ~$30 quad port NICs working via UNIX round-robin type bonding for an effectively ~4gbps single TCP connection.

feels real damn good man
    --- Post updated ---
    now that I have this working the next step for my total transfer to linux is to get a windows vm with gpu passthrough working

for 95-99% bare metal game performance

get mad daniel

19. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone know how to retrieve money from YouTube, i checked the analytics page and it says $40 over the lifetime, is there a way to like turn this into a check or something. Like I know the Ads sense has something to do with it but I can't remember anything to do with it (Idk what I put) so I don't know. Will have to wait till Monday till I can use a Desktop PC

20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I think there is a threshold you need to be over before they will let you take it. I think it is $100 but its been years since I have looked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice