1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I looked into it again a couple days ago actually. Since I found out my local retro games store sells second hand blurays at decent prices. Turns out you can get a decent second hand bluray player for around £20 from ebay. The issue I then have though is that due to my speaker setup I have no way of switching audio between my PC and other stuff, equally I have to use my soundcards Bass CrossOver functionality just to make my current setup work. So to find a blurau player that also supports that particular set of features would be hard work.
    The local games store also had a broken PS3 Super Slim (without controller and hard drive) that they were selling for £5, which was something I had to think about for a while, since it could play blurays. But for the price of adding in a harddrive and buying a controller it wouldn't be worth it assuming it was a simple fix. They also had a PS2 for £5 that didn't read disks, afaik that is an easy fix, but I would rather emulate PS2 games on my PC where I can run them at 4k supersampled etc.

At which point I start to think, what's the point anyway? There are already more games than I could ever hope to complete and the last thing I need is more reasons to not be productive. Not to mention my movie knowledge is so limited I don't even know what I would watch. The only thing I can really think of right now is baby driver whenever that comes out, but even then getting it second hand would be difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Ah, didnt think about that but the second hand market is probably a pretty good way to go and eBay probably has a decent selection. The PS3 is a reasonably good cost player if you can get a working one for cheap but I would pretty much agree with you, only time I end up watching movies is when I feel like doing nothing, so not very often and definitely not worth the investment considering.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also on another note, my logitech G700s mouse has developed a weird issue where it breaks any computer I plug it into. It seems to stop the taskbar and any of the window buttons from responding plus any windows you click are deselected, however it works just fine on the desktop.

Even if you totally unplug the mouse receiver the computer will stay bugged out in the same way with any other mouse or touch pad until you restart, happens on linux too.

My guess is its finally had it after 3 years of use (and lots of dropping).

3. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

So I have currently massive problems with my PSU again the power plug wont connect properly to the mainboard like it did for the past 4 months since i got it and now the my pc randomly turns off im thinking this psu is slowly killing my pc that way also i have currently problems with my second screen wich goes dark from time to time what could that be? Could it have to do with the power supply too or is it a problem with the iGPU wich the monitor is plugged into?

4. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Does the monitor litterally flick off and back on, like someone unplugged it and plugged it back in? If so you could have something causing noise on your power lines, like a cheap ac adapter or a device with a faulty arc supressor.

5. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

It goes completly black and then normal again like a cable isnt pushed all the way in but theyre all plugged in correctly (except the mainboard cable stupid thing) also whats an arc supressor?

6. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

I've had the beta since June/ July (whenever the public release comes out)... It's ok on my phone, but there are some weird and random bugs that should be fixed now (speaking of, 11.1 was just pushed out to the beta groups).
    I have the official release running on my 6th gen iPod Touch and for a device that's less than a year old, 11 is really draining the battery on it (Compared to 10)...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

An Arc supressor is usually a capacitor usually 0.01µF somtimes in series with a 100ohm resistor across the main power switch of a device. Completely black? Does the power light on the monitor go off and on too or just the screen?

8. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

I do the same thing up at college... I have my new desktop running games and doing whatever online assignments I have. For class I take my 4 year-old Mac for notes and whatever other academic related purposes. I have a cheap Samsung tablet that i'm using for my e-books.

9. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I dont know if the powerlight goes off or not due to the way the monitor is placed its also just a split second so i am not fast enough to look there and the screen goes completly black

10. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Intel 8 series CPU's have dropped. Apparently they are pretty decent too.

11. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

about 7-8 months after the 7th gen chips were released (for desktops)... I'll pass, thanks...

12. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

All the I5's are 6 core/ 6 thread CPU's
    All the I7's are 6 core/ 12 thread CPU's

Its probably the most significant upgrade to Intel's CPU line up since they started the I3/I5/I7 line-up. The benchmarks are looking impressive enough too, with the CPU's being competitive with Ryzen in multithreaded workloads while having good single core performance too.

13. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

So i just noticed that when my second screen turns off the powerlight stays on so its probably no power problem then so this means either theres a problem with the screen or the igpu but when it was connect to another graphics card it worked fine

14. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately for Coffee Lake, the consumer platform is still way too restrictive to be compelling to me. 16 PCIe lanes on the CPU, 24 in the chipset. However, all but 8 of those lanes are pretty much dedicated to something, whether it be PCIe storage, Thunderbolt, USB 3.1 Gen 2, etc. The consumer really only realistically has 8 lanes to play with. Sure, you're not bottlenecking even a 1080Ti with that, but that's not the point. What if I need a GPU and for some reason a RAID controller card for RAID applications outside of 1/0/10? Or perhaps a dedicated sound card, or 10Gb NIC, or a wireless NIC. You STILL can't do that with a consumer grade Intel platform. What's more is you can get a 6C/12T CPU on their X299 platform, too. And X299 has an upgrade path, quad-channel memory, etc., etc.

Their entire CPU lineup is still a complete fucking mess, no matter how powerful they are.

15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

That is true.

Having said that, I do run dual GPU's plus a sound card and a PCIe USB3.0 header through a sandybridge I5 system with PCIe2.0 (I also have 2SSD's, 2HDD's, plus a DVD drive). So personally I am not all that fussed about how many lanes there are since its already not an issue for me and with PCIe 3.0 its even less of an issue.

It would likely be a different story if I was running hardware raid on a PCIe controller, with high end network card etc.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

So the new retro thinkpad is out. I am so disappointed.

1899usd laptop.
    7500U CPU, 16gb of RAM, 512gb nvme ssd and a 940MX GPU rendering to a 1920*1080p non touch 14" display.

However for 1649, you can have an xps15 of the same physical size and weight, only fitting a 15" display with slimmer bezel.
    It has a 7700HQ, 16gb of RAM, 512gb nvme ssd and a GTX1050 GPU also to 1920*1080p non touch display.

Other source of confusion. Lenovo claim a 48Whr battery capacity. Then claim 14 hours of battery life. This, does not add up at all, even with that CPU and GPU low TDP it does not add up. They then later claim its got a 3 cell fixed battery and a 3 cell removable battery, now 14 hours from a combined 96Whr of capacity could make sense, but it is not clear whether this is actually the case or not, if it is, well, the 7700HQ can do 12 hours on 97Whr and has a higher TDP, 14 becomes a tad unimpressive, though theres many other things also draining battery and there could be mixed benchmarks etc etc.

The design is classic lenovo, thats cool, the rest is really meh. NVidia have stopped making the 940MX, lenovo must be using old stock, which kinda sucks when the MX150 (which is literally just a desktop GT1030) has replaced it, demonstrating longer battery lives in the machines that have upgraded to it and also demonstrating *double* performance. Yes the MX150 has a slightly higher TDP, but it does mean achieving almost double performance on it, it doesnt have to work as hard to do the same work, and more importantly pascal in mobile is capable of incredibly underclocks when not needed.
    2017-10-07--1507371160_804x547_scrot.png
    Really look at those numbers. the xps15 has the 1050. 67fps in tomb raider, versus 21 fps in the lenovo, its also not confirmed that the lenovo is using the full 23W version and not the 15 or 20W throttled versions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

I'll be honest, I dont know alot about laptops atall, but I know the 10 series of Nvidia cards (the desktop ones atleast) use massively reduced power when compared to the 9 series. If this is the same with the laptop models, then it makes no sence that they'd use older cards, especially at that price for the computer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

It's Lenovo. They don't care about raw power for their ThinkPad line, it's more about pure reliability. Generation old hardware is usually more bug-free, better validated, and better established.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Nah. The 10 series at peak utilises more power. What's changed is performance per watt, it's insanely high. There's also more tools available to allow it to underclock and conserve power usage in mobile devices. The 940MX is a 23W part, the MX150 replacement is a 25W part, yet it's roughly double the performance. This also goes for desktop cards with most being about 10W more than previous gen counterparts

Argument against the 940MX on reliability front. A) lower max temp. B) nvidia stopped making them entirely. They were outright discontinued and nvidia offer no support for it. A bit contraire for the ThinkPad really

• Like Like x 1
  20. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

The ThinkPad 25 is a disappointment. We got nothing we asked Lenovo for aside from the keyboard, it's a T470 with a T420 keyboard... Not to mention it's not avalible in the UK (Allegedly)

#7340 Eastham, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1