General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Oh I meant the Windows 7 one, well I haven't seen or used a Windows XP MCE PC (or pirated that copy)

2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I use a logitech G25 gear shifter with the Leo Bodnar USB adapter. I must say that the adapter works 100% flawlessly. The logitech gear shifters work pretty well, apparently the thrust master gear shifters feel quite a bit nicer to use, but they are also around £100.

3. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

ill probably go for that then also with my graphics card i decided to wait as they are way to expensive for the power theyre delivering currently

4. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for the double post but does someone have some dynamite i could use to blow up that stupid corsair psu? That stupid thing randomly looses connection and brings my whole pc down with it in the last 20 min it crashed around 5 times like someone pulled a plug i hope that ill get my money bqck so that i can get a proper one sometime

5. Racermon

Racermon
    Expand Collapse

I thought corsair was reliable :p
    I have a TR2 from thermaltake (i think) and it is said to be horrible. I have been using it since the beginning of this year

6. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I normally am the one person who gets the most unreliable stuff so ig i get my money back ill probably go back to be quiet as that one worked for 10 years even with me using the pc

7. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

I've heard that Corsair PSU's are meant to be terrible. I think it's the 750 one in paticular, which is known to be abit of a bomb

8. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Welp, seems like my thinkpad has a bad motherboard. The SSD I'm running works fine in every other computer but it makes a loud high pitch sound and crashes at power up or later at the windows login screen everytime on my T420. Yet it works fine on my mums T410, and to make it even more confusing her SSD works fine in my T420...

Main reason I think its the motherboard is all the other weird issues I've been having with it too, sometimes it takes up to a minute to even post, one time the BIOS just wouldn't open then I moved the laptop turn it off and it just popped into existence.The BIOS also refuses to update, tried it from an EXE as well as booting off a CD and it just fails no matter what.

At least the guys I bought it off are super nice and happy to have it returned but it is kinda too good of a deal to return :p

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

In other ThinkPad news, I found myself staring at this today:
    Screenshot-2017-10-16PowerPointPresentation-feet_installation_guidepdf.png
    Thankfully I managed to find the rubber foot inside the hinge and therefore didn't need to spend £15 on a 4 pack of rubber feet. Its now stuck on with Selotape branded double sided sticky tape, which I don't trust too much, however it has been very successful on my Wacom Tablet far outlasting the original adhesive. So hoping it works out well here too...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

In even other ThinkPad news. Since I don't have a replacement heatsink on hand for my T42P I've Macgyvered up a temporary solution, drilled out the rivets holding the old dead fan in and taped on the fan from an Intel graphics model T43. Also found a 1GB DDR SoDimm in my RAM bag so I bumped up the memory to 1.2 gig's thing flys along in Linux Mint now... Not literally of course.. Also stripped it down to clean out the digusting stank it had. Mister Keignaert, you need to learn how to clean your laptops, although considering you glued the DAMN HEATSINK ON. I doubt you care about the cleanliness... I assume this sticker on the bottom translates to "property of Keignaert" Not quite up to date on my French though, assuming it is French..

DSC_0418.jpg DSC_0420.jpg
    --- Post updated ---
    Bummer, maybe use it as an excuse to upgrade to a Planar with the Nvidia chip?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Racermon

Racermon
    Expand Collapse

Hmm
    We may have both heard biased opinions or one of the people are right

I would kinda hope the people who told me they are reliable was right

I know for a fact my tr2 isn't
    It seemed to be that it would kill the motherboard
    That was the main problem by my understanding
    So far my tr2 isn't causing any problems, just my board from the damage it received (which was not the psu's fault)

12. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I have the 750 one and i habe the suspison it bent the pics of my mainoard as my old psu now wont fit anymore

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I've never had an issue installing Corsair PSUs and honestly if the suspicion is bent mobo pins, I'd blame the mobo or user quicker than a corsair
    --- Post updated ---
    The non modular ones are. Modular/semi modular ones are great

14. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Installing my Corsair 450 bronze was a pain to get into the motherboard socket. It's a common thing, as I've researched, and the only fix is warranty. So I just shoved it in as far as it would go and hoped for the best. It doesn't luck with the plastic piece, but the friction of how tight it is keeps it in, even when my wheel is bouncing the entire computer around from it's FFB.

15. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I have the same problem even when someone in the house slams a door itll come undone but i dont think sending it in will help as my old one now wont fir in as well so i probably bent the pins upon trying to get the cable in gonna have to take it apart again today and see if i can somehow fix it

16. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I don't think it's bent pins, I checked for those, but that the plastic covering is too big. I was shredding some plastic off when I pulled it out and put it back in, meaning it was too big to begin with. The icing on the cake though is that the plastic piece doesn't lock, meaning it doesn't matter how far you put it in, it can still come out. Maybe electrical tape might help? Glue, if you're not going to replace it, but I don't know too much.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. sarkarsvt

sarkarsvt
    Expand Collapse

hi, i have a small problem with beam but i don't know if it's my computer or the game.

so every time i click steam to play nothing happens even though i wait for long periods of time. Then i tried clicking the desktop app: same problem. so i went to the forums and downloaded a mod. that finally worked. but i play beam a lot and if i don't fix this either the game or the computer will crash when i try to open the in-game mods menu or worse, the game itself.

if anyone knows this bug it would be a big help

18. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Thats good to know they probably changed the cables as my first one did click in. Also ill try electrical tape then as i want to keep the option to have it changeable knowing my luck with pc

19. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Was thinking about it but had no luck finding one for a reasonable price. I was thinking I could get a normal board at about £25 then an i7 CPU for about £35 but at that point I would have basically £100 into it which I could just spend on a working i7 model easy enough.

20. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Good point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice