General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Bummer, when I had my T420 my battery was under recall, Lenovo sent me a new one and let me keep the old one. Still wish I never sold that laptop.

2. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

I've currently been web browsing and using discord for about an hour now and it's at 66% which i assume is not what i'd get with a new battery.
    HWMonitor says the battery is 32% worn, too

3. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

If you look on eBay you can get some good condition used 9 cell batteries for £30 give or take a few quid. I also wouldn't turn my nose up at a quality aftermarket battery either. Only the 30 series and up ThinkPads are locked down so you cant use aftermarket ones.

4. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

I'll take a look.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Do Duracell even do aftermarket laptop batteries??
    Edit: checked. Nope. Most of their laptop batteries are simply Duracell rebranding another company

#7425 SixSixSevenSeven, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  6. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Oh well. I suppose I'll have to check around for a decent brand or do what Eastham said, and buy a secondhand one.

7. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that Zenfone 3 that I accidentally went swimming with is now drawing 1.4watts from the wall, i can't find my USB doctor thing so i used a Kil-O-Watt style plug and when the phone is disconnected it uses 0.0W (probably just less than 0.05w) and when plugged in is drawing a grand total of 1.4watts, earlier it was bouncing between 1.0 and 1.9w but now its steady at 1.4watts. Hopefully it doesn't go crazy like blow up or something :p i think its toast but hey it might be charging the battery inside (how idk, but yeah)
    edit**
    its actually got warm! (but no response to power button etc)

#7427 Michaelflat, Oct 30, 2017
  8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Trickling
    Eh, theyre sold with a duracell warranty so I doubt they're garbage by any means. They carry batteries for my busted macbook actually, might buy one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

*breathing intensifies* i plugged it into my PC and it makes bonging noises!!!! the PC detects a device! Qualcomm HS-USB loader 9000 or something im so excited!
    I think its dead actually, but still there is hope!

#7429 Michaelflat, Oct 30, 2017
  10. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

I'm planning on getting a 250GB SSD. So far I'm looking at the Samsung 850 Evo. Anyone have any other recommendations?

11. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

im using a samsung 250 evo 250gb for a year now and the only complaint i have is that its a bit to small but everything else is perfect

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Are you planning on getting a new motherboard/platform anytime soon? If so, wait until you get that so you can get an M.2 ssd. Otherwise, samsung SSDs are pretty much the best you can get right now. You could probably save some money for a small performance sacrifice and get ADATA or Crucial.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

I would quite like to get a new motherboard and a bunch of new parts in general, but money, so I doubt that'll happen any time soon.

As for the SSD's, I can get this Crucial drive for the same price as the Samsung: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156150

It has a bit more space but is slightly slower, which I suppose could be worth buying instead.

14. Panda_Panzer

Panda_Panzer
    Expand Collapse

I use 2 525GB versions of that Crucial SSD in my system right now and they have been flawless- worked out of box. Speeds are good, although mine are in raid0 so I can't really compare. If you know you're not going to need that bit of extra space go for the Samsung, but otherwise either will be perfectly fine. You can also look at getting a smaller drive (128GB) and putting only the OS/fav games on there, just to save some money towards other components.

15. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I've never understood how to read computer specs, but after looking further into minimum/recommended requirements for a couple games, I think I understand this stuff even less than I realized. My laptop's specs don't seem too far below the recommended specs for a couple of games I can't run well (ex: Wreckfest) and at least one that I can't run at all (JC3). I've been okay with low/medium graphics for everything, but now that there are a couple of newer AAA games on the market I am interested in (NFS Payback, Assassin's Creed Origins, Ghost Recon Wildlands) I would like to understand this stuff better.

I'm not at my laptop right now and don't know the specs off hand, but the internet says my laptop has an Intel i7-4500U (1.8GHz/3GHz max turbo speed, dual core, 4 threads), 8GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M. Anyone able to translate that into English for me?

16. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

It basically means your laptop is perfect for stuff like microsoft office and youtube but not powerful enough for games it can play them but not well so you probably need to get a new one soon but id still wait a bit as pc parts are more expensive currently

• Like Like x 1
  17. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

So I ended up sending back my Thinkpad T420 and started searching for a new one. Finally last night I found a good used X220 tablet for cheap and went with that. Should be here pretty soon.

The only downside I really see is the lack of a HDMI which I need for my TV, does anyone know what sort of adapters should work for Displayport output to HDMI?

18. jetcoasterfan

jetcoasterfan
    Expand Collapse

Should I upgrade my Intel(R) i7 6700K CPU to a Intel Core i9 9700X I want to be able to support my 26 mile long virtual roller coaster in No Limits Roller Coaster Simulation 2.

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Pretty much any displayport to HDMI adapter will be fine, unless it's a mini display port machine in which case any mini displayport to HDMI adapter will be fine

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

What you are describing seems like a limit by not enough RAM or VRAM, or most likely, the engine itself can't handle it. A 6700K is still great for all games.

#7440 Nissan Skyline, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice