General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

True that.
    Remember the days with tool-less battery access. Oh those were the days :)
    Although in fairness the batteries usually do last the 2 years lifetime of a phone. But why is the lifetime of said phone so low?

2. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Simply for marketing reasons. Low phone lifetime = more likely for consumers to buy the new stuff = more money for data providers and phone manufacturers. I know, it's annoying, but that's pretty much the only way for most phone manufacturers to truly persuade people to buy their new phones.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

So tool-less you could simply drop the phone to have the battery fall out, and people worried that they'd lose the back of their phone or the battery more than the screens cracking. That, and swapping your battery with someone's dead one to keep their phone going. That was always fun.

Anyway, even though most phone contracts only go for 2 years until the phone is replaced, this isn't the case for me atall. I normally just outright buy the phone, and just pay for the sim on it's own. Up until early 2017, I was still using an Iphone 4S, which lasted around triple the '2 year lifetime'. Aside from the camera being abit out of date, and it being abit slow (though, now I know why...), the phone was fine until the battery gave up. Infact, even though I'm not using it anymore, that phone is still working. If it got a new battery, it'd still probably be fairly usable today.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, old phones can still do phone tasks. Just can't run games which I'm fine with. But when all my friends are like check out snapchat/Instagram/Facebook where all of the apps are not optimized battery hogs that push CPUs to the limit just don't run properly on the older phones.

5. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

It's true that the newer apps like that don't really run that well on the older phones, but really, phones back then were fairly slow anyway, since they were still fairly new, and battery life was occasionally being a problem.
    Like, I've currently got a OnePlus3T, and unless they intentionally make an app slower, I don't see that phone struggling with, for example, Snapchat. Even several years into the future.

Aren't phones able to do VR like stuff now aswell? Like, I'm trying to say that phones are incredibly powerful now. There's really not much reason for them to get any more powerful, atleast for now. Honestly, if it weren't for the phone companies not letting us get proper replacement batteries in the future, there'd be basically no point in buying a new phone. The only people who really benefit from the top of the line, brand new phones now are the people who just have to have the latest thing.

6. C747

C747
    Expand Collapse

Is an Intel Core i3-3120 better Than a i5-2450?

7. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

So it begins...

--- Post updated ---
    I'd say they're pretty much equal, both hyperthreaded dual cores at 2.5GHz, the i3 supports upto 32GB and the i5 only 16GB though I don't see why you'd need more than 16GB of memory in a laptop like that, the i3 has slightly better graphics performance but not by a noticeable amount.

• Like Like x 1
  8. C747

C747
    Expand Collapse

And a Intel HD graphics 4000 is better than the 3000?

9. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

A bit maybe 10FPS differance give or take. Doubt either would run Bamn.

10. C747

C747
    Expand Collapse

That twin is good running games with 2 GB of RAM?

11. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Not happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

2gb of ram is enough to boot windows and open a small office document. 4 is absolute minimum for day to day pc operation and 8gb for gaming. Hd3000 and 4000 are both very similar, neither can run games at all

13. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah the newish phones won't slow down that fast anymore as new CPUs aren't getting better that fast, only efficiency improvements. For example SD821 vs SD 835 is only up to 10-20% improvement. But efficiency it is more.
    I agree. Even a Snapdragon 800 equipped phone from a few years back can still be viable. You just don't get the shiny new efficiency improvements. But if you can swap the batteries then it doesn't matter that much.

14. C747

C747
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the help

15. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

No, i5 has Turbo boost which can go to 3.1 GHz. This allows better single core performance.
    However the i3-3120M has a better fabrication (22nm vs 32nm). this will make it more efficient. So you have longer battery&less fan noise (or thinner laptop).

16. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Upgraded my main PC...

Specs list :

-I5-4460
    -Sapphire 7950
    -16gb ddr3
    -Samsung 850 evo

upload_2017-12-29_22-2-2.png

I should get a Pure Rock Slim soon, mostly for noise, knowing the stock intel cooler do its job.

Thanks @Nissan Skyline , The W10 key is working great.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Awesome. The cable management is really great, and once you get a new CPU cooler that will look even better! Glad the key worked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Me too! Well cable management is really easy with the S340, gotta say I love this case. Though it stock fans are kinda loud, I might look into that. I wouldn't be against a little bit of rgb.
    Don't plan on changing much until some times. Though if I can find a god deal on a gtx980 or i7 4xxx why not. Either that or maybe another 7950, for crossfire, but eh, not sure it would really be of any use other than being even more noisy.
    Not sure my actual PSU would handle either the 980 or another 7950 tbh. Not buying a new PSU any time soon.

19. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone know how to remove dark blotches off an LCD screen?
    I've heard that it's because of pressure. It had quite a lot of stuff ontop of it in storage..
    I also read somewhere it's the polarizing filter.
    Anyone it's not critical. The monitor is 13 years old :p

*anyway*

So i have come up with the most inefficient "Phillips Hue" copy...
    So i hooked a raspberry pi up to a projector :p
    250 watts, uhhh yeah. Very efficient.
    At least i don't need to have the radiator on.. (i don't think that will balance the projector's heat output).
    i do run it in eco mode, so it's around 170 watts...
    So a powerpoint with different colours does light up the room in weird colours. Who knew i could turn my room pink :p

#7599 Michaelflat, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  20. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

My T440P got here today.

First and foremost getting the TrackPad working, after checking the TrackPad fuse I found it to still be good, I moved onto the connector, my guess is that because the connector was missing it's clip the cable didn't have enough pressure on the contacts, so I got a peice of old Christmas card and Squeezed it in between the cable and what I presume are metal fingers which the clip would force down the cable causing it to make contact with the contacts in the connector. Add some Kapton tape to hold the cable securely in place and voila, a working mouse and a upgrade to a T450 TrackPad direct from Lenovo no less!

DSC_0775.jpg

Ugly but it works.

Next onto the screen, the T440P comes with two screens, a 1366 x 768 and a 1600 x 900. I decided to upgrade to a 1920 x 1080 panel from a T460 Part number: B140HAN01.2

DSC_0776.jpg

A little more Kapton tape to prevent and kind of shorting.

Lastly. For now... A old SSD I had laying around, should speed things up considerably, lower power consumption and weight.

DSC_0778.jpg

All back together and lookin' real fine.

DSC_0784.jpg

Planned future upgrades include a M.2 SSD, New palmerst with finger print reader and a backlit keyboard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice