General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

No it's pretty comon, they just give inaccurate readings.

2. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Common indeed. I used to have an AM3+ ASRock board that would read 200°c on the chipset. Needless to say, it was horribly inaccurate.

3. Racermon

Racermon
    Expand Collapse

I've gotten false rpm and false temp readings
    If you are truly concerned I guess look for a damaged part

4. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

My ASUS Z97-C has odd readings like that too.
    Capture.png

5. Tsutarja495

Tsutarja495
    Expand Collapse

How would a 1st gen i7 (e.g. i7 920) compare, to, say, a Bulldozer APU like the one in my PC?

6. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Raw power they'd be pretty similar with the Bulldozer chip on top ever so slightly if we look at the 920 clocked at stock specifically. But Bloomfield is known to come alive overclocked or in a CPU like the 950.

Graphics power, well, the Bloomfield CPUs don't have iGPUs so the APU wins by default.

7. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Work is giving me a monitor for free, not sure on it's specs but I'm finally going to have dual monitors!

8. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Woohoo monitor! Wait, where TF do I put it?
    20180126_165730.jpg

9. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

You have the same problem as me now for me it stands right on top of my pc but my desk obstructs the bottom right of the pc screen

10. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I fixed it a half our later, took the big shelf thingy off my desk so the monitor would fit, but neither satellite not mobile data would work to upload an image. Now that I'm in the city though, here's the pic:
    20180126_172200.jpg
    The monitor on the right (my main 1080p72 monitor) has a power cable that just barely reaches the surge protector that my PC is plugged into. Now that the shelf thing is gone though, I may be able to plug it into the surge protector my alarm clock and echodot/speaker is plugged into. That's where I plugged in the other monitor.
    The new(ish? it's an old monitor from work) monitor is an ASUS 1440x900 16/10 panel, and runs off of DVI. I'm wondering if I can plug it into my motherboard so my integrated graphics can power that monitor so there's no slowdowns on my GPU when gaming. Is that possible?
    In the topic of internet, someone moved out a week ago opening up a slot in the box for DSL, so I snatched it up withing ~5 seconds. It's being installed today! How's it going to be ping-wise and Netflix-wise?

#7630 BombBoy4, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  11. C747

C747
    Expand Collapse

Question: how much does costs the CHEAPEST steering wheel available in Amazon?

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Why yes, that is possible! I did it for years with my 4690K. In BIOS, enable your iGPU (You'll have to search for that option, I know MSI hid that shit like it was fool's gold), then install the drivers and you're off to the races.

13. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

DSL is installed now and damn it's so much faster. Not much better in terms of download/upload, but because of the major ping dropoff and better consistency, websites load 100s of times quicker. I can also now watch videos at 360p without buffering!
    --- Post updated ---
    Did that, and somehow my PC feels faster. I've restarted my PC somewhat recently, so nothing there, but it does feel faster.

14. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

My pc is running the same way but only because my graphics card only has dvi and mini hdmi wich would mean id have to buy a mini hdmi cable and a dvi adapter

15. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone ever gotten/seen a BSOD that looked like this?

upload_2018-1-28_20-6-47.png

This mockup "fancy BSOD," generated by Windows XP, ditches the plain blue background for one similar to the login screen, which it shares with the annoying startup CHKDSK screen. I know I've seen one somewhere (possibly in an unpatched OEM version of Home Edition?), but I can't find any other examples. Am I remembering wrong?

#7635 vmlinuz, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  16. Racermon

Racermon
    Expand Collapse

If you mean the error, I've gotten it
    If you mean that particular screen then no ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

I mean the particular screen, but thanks anyway. It may be extremely rare, possibly resulting from a crash occurring during CHKDSK, or perhaps it simply does not exist and I'm losing it.

18. C747

C747
    Expand Collapse

Nice blue screen....

19. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

That's usual for Asus boards, those Temperature readings are related to fan speeds. Try playing with the fans using Speedfan.exe or something and you will see them change.

Anyway I've realised, that surprisingly my MacBook Air, late 2010 has stood the test of time really well. It is 7.2 years old at the moment and is still going really strong, it matches the performance of many new laptops (Celeron N3350s) including graphical performance. It also has decent battery life of around 2-3 hours of use! Longest I have had on a laptop.

20. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

My parents have a 2008 iMac that my younger brother uses, has never been factory reset it trash bin cleaned, no routine cleanups, been in 4 different houses, but it still runs almost like new.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice