General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

The game is just as slow as it is on a HDD is what I mean, the big delays on all the menus and the long loading times, it might make a slight improvement but I haven't noticed it when going from HDD to SSD, especially compared to other games and applications which are noticeably quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm quite busy with outdoor sports these days, but I write quickly something before falling to bed.

Processor usually is CPU (Central Processing Unit) but technically GPU is a processor too (Graphics Processing Unit), but usually people refer to CPU when they write processor.

GPU has major impact on framerate, but it kinda depends, if CPU is slow enough, then that fast GPU is not going to get enough food from CPU. It depends then from the game where is the point where CPU is not able to feed the GPU. GPU speed and CPU speed of course affect that too.

In BeamNG, graphics are quite CPU intensive and you really need very good single core performance from CPU to be able to keep GPU fed.

SSD improves loading times. Nvme like what I have is fastest kind of SSD, but with your laptop, I doubt that type is going to work well as it requires slot specifically meant for that drive type and I doubt laptop with HDD would have such slot.
    Also if SSD cost 2x of HDD, then Nvme SSD can be 2x of SSD, so you would pay easily 4 times more for capacity of HDD from Nvme, so probably best to forget Nvme.

Professional that would swap your HDD to SSD would take care of transferring your OS and everything in your HDD to new SSD so that you can continue using your computer like before, they would take care of cloning and I believe that would really be best option for you.
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh, I don't find Beam being much slow on Nvme, sure menus are taking that 1-2 seconds to open, but nothing too horrible.

I read people complaining some maps loading slow, but I don't find different maps having that big difference in loading times. I think I wrote my loading time for American road review, can't remember now and I hope to get bed soon. Not sure how big difference there would be for SSD, never have had such, I jumped from 320GB Seagate HDD to Nvme.

Windows 8 boot time is around 7 seconds to desktop, monitor is slower to wakeup than computer, my understanding is that SSD is really quick in booting to windows too, just don't know how quick.

Horribly bad video, but you can see my loading times here:

#7762 fufsgfen, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I take it that a basic SSD is still on the table? While I'd be more than happy to swap the HDD with something stronger, I understand if the computer can't take it. I wouldn't want to risk damaging it.

And that's just it, I'm guessing that the CPU on that laptop isn't the strongest, though it's stronger than the one on the computer I'm using right now (the one on the latter only produces 1.50 GHz). Unfortunately, I don't remember how many GHz the CPU produced on the other one.

And like I said in a post not too long ago, BeamNG says I'm good on GPU, so I'm not too concerned about that.

Another thing I should add, BeamNG is not the only game motivating me to consider replacing some things other than the HDD. Another would be Cities: Skylines, a game that, at least on that computer, had loading times that I think felt more dreadful than BeamNG's. The frame rate felt passable, but I wouldn't mind improving that.

Now, what about memory/RAM? How would that affect their performance?

I don't know if I'm right about this, but I've thought that if I swapped the CPU with something stronger (like maybe one that produces around 4.0 GHz), and maybe the RAM, then frame rates and loading times on both of those games would improve.

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You can't upgrade CPU or GPU on a laptop. In some very rare cases such might be possible, but 99% of cases it is not possible.

Only thing you can do is get SSD and maybe upgrade memory.

If you want more CPU or GPU power, your best bet is get a new or used desktop machine, laptops generally are not so great in gaming and laptops you can play tend to cost quite a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

If that's the case, I'll just settle for getting the computer back up and running.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I've ultimately decided that SSDs may be too expensive for me to pick up, so I'm going to settle for a HDD.

What would you all consider a good HDD for a laptop? Right I'm hoping to get one with a storage space in the TBs.

7. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

This if you can afford it: https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8TK4TD1939

The 1TB version is about $12 more and will give you double the storage space, if you can upgrade to that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

9. SimplyGaming

SimplyGaming
    Expand Collapse

Is there any way to get files off a trashed PC? Windows forced an update that removed support for the graphics card it uses(It might have been a virus also) and it won't launch. My dad got it to launch in safe mode but nothing was working, and now it won't even do that.

10. Leon1996

Leon1996
    Expand Collapse

Either unplug the HDD and connect it to a different PC (I recommend plugging it into something with Linux, since it may have been a virus), or burn a boot CD/DVD and boot WinPE or Linux from it (you can also use a USB flash drive once you get Rufus set up for bootable ISOs, for the boot CD I recommend Hiren's Boot CD, since its WinPE is pretty lightweight and should work on pretty much any computer). Edit: Don't forget to actually copy the data over, too.

#7770 Leon1996, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  11. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

So my tablets battery just died and a replacement costs way to much as the screen needs replacing too so what is a good tablet with a ten inch screen for around 350 euros?

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

It’s getting warmer, decided to see what systems of mine survived the winter.

HP Pavilion a520n: powers on, no post, suspected faulty motherboard

Powerspec K6 machine: powers on, boots to BIOS, hard drive failure (fuckin Fujitsu)

Dell Dimension P4 system: unknown, have yet to test

Dell Optiplex 360: Powers on, boots to bios, hard drive failure (fuckin Western Digital)

iMac Indigo: Lives inside, runs flawless

Can’t wait to find a different Socket A motherboard for the HP. That Athlon XP 3200+ it has was a beast in its’ time. The rest I’m not so concerned about, I have no plans to revive the other machines that are dead due to lack of funds and ideas as what exactly to do with them.

13. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Tomorrow I'm going to get a new HDD from Amazon. I haven't figured out where I should take the computer to get the cloning and HDD swapping done though.

14. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

My old secondary monitor died of old age not too long ago. So I decided to get an LG 24MP59G. Only problem is that there's a lot of backlight bleed, and is pretty noticeable when I'm playing a game set at night or a dark place. So I'm sending it back.
    I'm looking for a monitor again with the following...
    1920 x 1080
    Around 24", doesn't have to be exact.
    At least 75Hz
    IPS panel
    Decent Freesync ranges.
    Good reviews with little/no complains of backlight bleed.
    Budget? As long as the price is reasonable.

I've found a good candidate or two, but availability in Canada seems to be an issue... Anyone have some recommendations?

15. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

upload_2018-3-23_6-5-1.png
    I am trying to get some files off my parents laptop drive because it won't boot but every time I go to access the users folder it freezes after a few minutes and then windows crashes.
    It is hooked to my tower via USB 3. Any ideas on how to fix it? I need to at very least get some pictures, pdfs, and office files off it so they can be transferred to another computer but I can't do that without getting inside the users folder.

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

cmd (Command prompt or whatever it is in 10)
    F:
    cd Users\Username\Documents
    copy *.pdf <destination path>

Same for images, *.jpg etc.

If that fails because of user permissions, then take ownership of whole drive contents. It might be it freezes if trying to take ownership of only users folder.

Next step if above fails would be boot to Knoppix live CD and do copying from there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Apparently I'm mad for my cooling setup. Sure, it's capable of achieving incredibly low temperatures with a nice decent thickness 240mm radiator and EK pump. But I have fans and pump set so low it actually stabilises at temperatures in low 60s under max load.
    Temperatures that aren't gonna kill a 2600K, and if they did, well it's an old chip and I'd just upgrade.
    Just to be, I value the lower noise more than the low temperature

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

upload_2018-3-27_15-40-47.png
    is this real?

19. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, not too sure. I've never used hotmail but I got a similar date for my old outdated windows 10 install (i'm running version 1607) and the updater took alot of effort to be stopped from reinstalling itself and forcing the update, so I would think you should have been getting the same pop ups, warnings etc.

I'd ignore the email completely though and check for updates through the normal update window thing and if it needs them then it'll download them.

20. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

that's what I'll do

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice