General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I got some good news, the new HDD has been installed into the computer and it is now back up and running. I got it back just today.

However, the guy was only able to transfer my personal files and no program files, so I got to start fresh there.

I also still have the old HDD, which I'm keeping in the box the new HDD came in.

2. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

*sobs a little*

So i lost my phone, and well im using my 2010 MacBook air and well it is hardly keeping up with my web demands! It's a bit slower than my Snapdragon powerhouse and very loud compared to it.

During normal use for me the fans are up at around 3000RPM but when plugged in around 4000RPM.

Now some update process has come along and the CPU is pegged at 100%, laptop is hot and the fan is sounding like a jet engine.

Almost 8 years of use is really not doing this machine any favours. The battery is on it's last few legs, the fans are probably caked in dust. The outside of machine is really grubby (i need to clean oneday).

But it isn't pleasing, having to put up with load times of pages around 1-2 minutes when background processes are happening.

I think i'll ditch this machine by 2020, maybe earlier :( It's really struggling, even hits 70c running MS Word (like 20-30% cpu load!!, why MS? I don't think i need 30% of CPU used by typing. And moving pictures causes CPU usage to hit 80%

3. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

I believe my CPU Is dying slowly at this point.

I'd like someone to reply to me to see if i have possible CPU Issues. Well, let me get to the point.

When i play BeamNG, or FH3, After about 60+ minutes of straight gameplay, the game either crashes or stops responding. Then my background goes black (here's my background if wondering: 1e0eb72f39f26979f724a6c9c09c260ea632dd01.jpg )

Then most of the time after my background goes black, my entire system freezes, and i'm forced to shut it down (using my tower's button.) I'm getting nervious if that's CPU Ware, if so, i'd like to know!

The CPU Is about 3-4 years old, if wondering.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Components don't wear, they either work or fail, I'm thinking your issue could be overheating, RAM or video card issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

So does the i5-8600 basically not exist? I've only found 2 stores that sell it and it's only $10 cheaper than an 8600k.

6. Tsutarja495

Tsutarja495
    Expand Collapse

Fail.jpg

Anybody have any insight into this particular stop error?

Attached Files:

• 21A70A83-35E9-4675-B56D-7BAC57E5E8B2.jpeg
    • 9236B4DF-76D0-49E1-8CD4-A79431FD02FD.jpeg
  7. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Asus Zenpad 3S10 or whatever the hell they call their flagship 10 inch tablet. Has the iPad size and resolution display (bright too) but the camera is appalling and questionable MediaTek gaming performance. Also battery life isn't crazy, maybe 6 hours of real world use. If you want there is the LTE version with a bigger battery (so with LTE off it will have more battery) and a Snapdragon 650 with higher GPU performance. But i don't know if that is within 350 euros.

Wi-Fi performance is annoying me soooo much. I can't find a good position for my receiving antenna and the speed drops when the computer is under load!! I am waiting for Forza Horizon 3 to download but it isn't good when i fire up BeamNG and my download speed halves :(

8. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

just put linux mint 17 in a brand new hd and popped that in a 12 year old aspire I have lying around as a storage server, works pretty good for a single core with 512mb of ram I eventually want to up the ram a bit as the board can support 2gb, I am amazed how much stuff came with linux right out of the box, it even has a good office alternative, anyone know of a good one that works on windows 10? I don't want to pay $300 for office o_O

9. Tsutarja495

Tsutarja495
    Expand Collapse

google docs, if you don't mind being online 24/7

10. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the advice but i already bought a galaxy tab s2 for 335 with a 75 euro gift card as a bonus so it was quite cheap

11. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Office 2007 Enterprise (a.k.a “Blue Edition”). No key needed, easily found, compatible with DOCX. What more could you want? I’ve used it for years with zero issues to report.

12. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

upload_2018-4-11_11-49-11.png
    Well done microsoft, well done

• Like Like x 1
  13. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

my specs are (second PC)

AMD Ryzen 3
    2 TB mechanical hard drive
    8gb DDR4
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050

14. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, I am a bit annoyed at PC gaming at the moment. My PC is just that bit underpowered, can't hold 60FPS in FH3 on medium settings (~50fps) but I'm not sure if I will upgrade it because when I leave secondary school I might not have the free time to just do PC gaming. Most of the time I'm just driving around on BeamNG (relieves my stress, I have no clue why but I do love driving like that) but eventually I'll have a car and well that's driving isn't it. But then again fuel costs money and so driving isn't as free as in BeamNG.

PC gaming is great fun, but quite expensive if I'm honest, and I have been waiting a long time for the mining craze to go down. I'll pick up an R9 Fury maybe, that will satisfy the 144Hz monitor. But I don't know if its really a good purchase :( I suppose from time to time I'll still have a holiday that I can fill with PC gaming

15. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I don't do things like this very often, but I've concept drawn a rather ambitious project. Meet the Epsilon Systems© Dark Stand™ RGB

"The last word in premium PC nightstands"

Concept Art: DarkStandRGBdimensions.jpg

Design: Experience true elegance and unmatched build quality with Dark Stand™. Constructed entirely out of durable laminated melamine particleboard in your choice of an almost unlimited array of finishes, completed with a glass see-though top, Dark Stand™ is built to last. And last it will. Dark Stand™ is designed with upgradability and compatibility in mind. Supporting Micro-ATX motherboards, ATX power supplies (or SFX with the included adapter), and full length graphics cards, Dark Stand™ is the last system you ever need to buy. Every Epsilon Systems© Dark Stand™ system is designed and built by hand by a master team of technicians and woodworkers.

Performance: With available Intel© Core™ or AMD Ryzen™ processors, Nvidia or AMD graphics, and aftermarket cooling options, Dark Stand™ is fast and quiet. Experience 1080p gaming with Dark Stand™ Light, 4K gloriousness with Dark Stand™ Power, or light up your world with Dark Stand™ RGB. Get your very own Epsilon Systems© Dark Stand™ starting at just $1899 for Dark Stand™ Light featuring AMD Ryzen™ 3/5 or 8th Generation Intel© Core™ i3/i5 processors, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti or Radeon RX 570 graphics (configurable up to GTX 1070Ti), and 16GB DDR4 3000MHz ram. Dark Stand™ provides an unprecedented quality/price ratio.

Epsilon Systems: Quality and power, affordably

Copyright Epsilon Systems, Inc 2018. All rights reserved.

#7795 redrobin, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  16. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

Libre Office, OpenOffice or WPS Office. It's nice to use actually.

17. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

I got libre office since that is the best version of open office

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

I hate how my new laptop's Nvidia sticker keeps falling down. Besides of sticking some tape, is there anything else I can do?

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Try searching for anywhere online that might sell such stickers.

20. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

That just happens with any laptop stickers, the type of glue they have just means that when you lean your wrist or whatever on them they slide. Only way I can think to fix it is a drop of super glue but thats pretty permanent, so up to you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice