General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. ladafan01

ladafan01
    Expand Collapse

I like it too.
    Best looking Windows.
    I have it on a VM and had it on a PC.
    No problems, it ran good.
    May be due to the fact that I have given the VM 8 GB RAM and the PC had 2x8GB DDR3 1333MHz, but hey, it runs good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tsutarja495

Tsutarja495
    Expand Collapse

Looks nice, but runs like arse.

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Every time I go riding mountain bike, I seem to end up with 20-40GB of video which I would like to find some cost effective way to store for later use. What other action camera users are using, burning to disc?

4. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I don’t understand the hate it gets. It had many pluses like gadgets and DX10. I liked it quite a bit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

When its 90 degrees Fahrenheit (around 32 Celsius) and your missing a fan and the only other intake fan is on the back of the computer so you put a plastic bag filled with ice behind it and remove the side panel to allow more air in to prevent overheating.
    And it somehow works even though your computer illiterate.

#7865 Copunit12, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Acquired a GTX 1070 to replace my GTX 970 with its 3.5GB of vram issues.

Have really big performance increases in all games now (though beamng runs exactly the same). Cooler is crazy quiet on this too, can't even tell the difference under load and idle.

Plus most importantly Substance painter can manage projects without using all the vram.

• Like Like x 2
  7. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Going from Crossfire 380's to a GTX 1070 is one of the best decisions I ever made. My Strix card runs fanless unless I'm having to push my full resolution through it, or if I'm gaming more than an hour. Fantastic card, will be staying for a while.

8. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

I sold my R9 390 during the mining boom for dual GTX 970s (and a decent amount left over), really regretted doing that but worked out in the end since GPU prices came down and I was able to get the 1070. Couldn't be happier with it, runs fanless and hits about 62c at its highest, definitely my best card so far.

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, these 10x0 cards are really nice, it takes a while to warm up, but even then fans blow every now and then, that is with dual fan 1050, so 1070 might actually be even quieter, if it remains in slow constant fan rpm instead of ramping up for fan startup constantly. Even still 1050 is really nice and quiet, only in BeamNG I really could use faster card for 1080p, but BeamNG seems to be hardest games on GPU.

With Skylake and GTX 10X0 card PC can be pretty close to completely silent even when gaming, while there might not be huge performance boost over previous generation, there is this sound aspect, for me who has been listening cooling fans from 70's, near soundless PC is quite a relief.

• Like Like x 1
  10. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

So I did this today

11. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

how much diffrence is between a 1070 and a 1070ti actually? is the ti worth the higher cost?

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  14. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Just wondering is it possible to make a car instrument cluster work with games like beam? The cluster would be from a bmw 3 series e90 or a subaru depending on wich is cheaper

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Yes. Is it easy? No. Neither cluster choice there is easy to work with though

16. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

What would be a better cluster for that or are there some special ones for pcs?

17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Any that operate over CAN and have their protocol fully documented. Did I mention, you're off to make custom electronics? And write custom code
    Or, any that take a plain square wave input of varying frequency fully documented? Again. You're off to build custom electronics. And write custom code.

On top of that, the cluster must not rely on other parts of the car being present to operate, which rules out the Subaru and ford clusters which both have crazy links to the immobilizer and won't actually operate without it, unless you build more custom electronics and code to spoof that.
    You didn't think this would be plug and play did you?
    I've done this conversion for someone with an RX8 cluster, it still wasn't easy just getting to point where it was a serial device you could address from the PC. Writing game integrations was friends task.
    --- Post updated ---
    Apple no longer support OpenGL or OpenCL

#7877 SixSixSevenSeven, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  18. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I know full well that it wouldnt be easy making custom electronics is not the problem as im a electrician i just dont quite know what you have to do to get it to work as i dont have to do much with cars

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Considering your track history, why do I not believe you. Besides, an electrician surely knows that electronic engineering is different from electrical. If you knew the field, you wouldn't be asking the question. Nor does being an electrician cover programming the microcontrollers you'll be using

20. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

Is there any good sites to get used graphics cards? I've looked on eBay, Kijiji (I'm in Ottawa), and a bunch of other sites.
    I'm looking to get another EVGA GTX 660 (non ti) so I can sli them on my other pc.

What would you guys recommend? Get another 660 and sli? Or get some other 600series card/700series card? I have a limit of 100cad, I don't want to spend much more that that. I want to sli my 660 because they are pretty cheap used. I just don't know where I could get one used in my price range. If there's anything that someone could recommend i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice