General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I agree, go for maybe 128G SSD and stretch to RX470/480 or 1060.

2. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Using a program called "MediaCoder" to convert basically every single H264 video into H265 :p Using the NVENC it's quite fast, it's chewing through some SD TV series at 500FPS. Going from 300MB to 100MB. I wasn't too generous with the bit rate :p (source is very low quality, but it's usable).

3. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

I ordered Mac OS X install discs and they required a signature. I wasn't home, and I won't be home tomorrow, so I won't see them until Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

They came to my house later than I thought.
    tmp-cam-214316390.jpg
    Also, 420.
    tmp-cam-913691732.jpg

5. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

If you do the math, if the time was 12:40PM, it would finish at 4:20PM, pretty interesting

• Like Like x 2
  6. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Windows 10 is pissing me off so much, have been working all day clearing file explorer cache and killing/reopening the explorer task as it "working on it..." always.
    Now it won't let me open settings. It just crashes. And when it is loading, if I minimize the app and then reopen it it crashes or doesn't render.

a restart later and it's ok. But i wish my machine was as stable as Win 7 days.

#7906 Michaelflat, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I must be the only person on earth whose never had an issue with Windows 10...

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

*High fives*

• Like Like x 2
  9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

On my laptop I have had issues with it automatically updating drivers (causing blue screens [I would blame synaptics for their crappy drivers, but it is Win10 that decided to force them out]), had issues with updates leading to not booting, as well as the odd blue screen in OneNote. However, since the laptop is running professional, they let me fully turn off Cortana, so that is nice I guess?

My Grandparents Win10 tablet is totally buggered, the Win10 installation was irreversibly broken with no Win10 apps able to load and general random issues, then Windows Photo Gallery also broke (the legacy one) meaning they couldn't look at their photos. So I think my Uncle has reformatted it now.

I will shift my desktop over to Win10 when I get a new CPU. But I am hoping the current one will hold out for a while, currently the clockspeed degradation seems to have slowed, so hopefully all good. I still very much enjoy Win7, despite having Win10 on my laptop and having used it extensively for uni.

10. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Yes you are, I've had nothing but issues with it

11. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Lucky me, my computer uses Window 7 ('Ultimate', to be specific).

• Like Like x 1
  12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Greetings from a ComputerLab International vintage Cherry Black terminal keyboard

And now greetings from a Chicony KB-5181 SMK Monterey ISO keyboard

And finally greetings from a Corsair K70 Cherry Blue

I'm so happy.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

*sigh* here comes some annoying things that i have expereinced:
    I found out that OBS on Custom Output mode FFMPEG doesn't do multitrack audio, so i recorded a 40minute thing using the normal mode, using H264. Then i re-encode it to HEVC using MediaCoder (using NVENC) so i can push the lot to YouTube fast. But whilst that was happening i opened VLC to convert the .mkv file to .mp4 and save it at Desktop, well it converted the thing into a 1kb file, so i did it again (and the filepath changed to the place the source was), i was impatient and so when it said over-write i thought it would overwrite the 1kb file, but no it overwrited the video. Lost 40 minutes of FH3 :( except i got the 26minutes that encoded whilst i was faffing before the file got overwrited.

Now i'm left with half a video, and two 1KB files thanks to VLC.

Then i find out i could have just remuxed it using OBS in 5 seconds.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

When your mom asks you what you did at the library this afternoon...
    IMAG1653.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I don't know what is going on with Microsoft's Defender these days, but it really is turning into something un-usable.

For the last week or so, I have been getting 1-2 seconds of 100% cpu usage on two cores every 10 to 30 seconds and that has been Defender doing it. Even opening folders has been a trouble as double click was not recognized every time, opening start menu might have 10 second delay etc, all was because Defender having bad updates or that is only thing I could figure out being the reason.

According to tests it has really good protection level, but you can imagine what such behavior does for gaming, so really had to start looking alternatives.

Also Defender has caused explorer.exe to hang and freeze or even crash a lot during last year.

Everything was fine without internet connection, but right when opened connection, I got very high CPU usage and this intermittent spiking. Of course that leads to think there is some malware or virus, but as checked with several different scanners and nothing could be found, I could only blame Defender.

Finding alternative used to be easy, but these days there are ton of faux sites claiming to be independent AV testers and figuring out which is credible is a days work, at least, how internet has turned to this crap it is today? I guess money is answer to that as for everything that is ruined.

So had to put something else in with pretty much guess method and at least cpu load is lot less and computer is faster to operate and all aforementioned issues are begone. Who knows if it is because of non existing protection though, might be just because of bugs Defender update brought or because there is some boogie which is just not detected by major online scanners and anti-malware tools.

I think probability is on Defender going to crapola.

You all know how in BeamNG there are hiccups as you turn around when map is freshly loaded? Those are hardly noticeable now, when with Defender those were really huge, loading times are shorter too.

Really shame what they have done to which was best of the best software before MS acquired it.

16. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Its probably one of those weird issues that affect a few computers that just happen to have some specific oddity in their configuration.

My understanding is that defender is decent, and a good line of defense, but not as good as other paid offerings. It doesn't have as much active monitoring as its competitors, hence its lower performance impact. But that comes with security and 0 day protection trade offs.

A lot of anti virus software comes with a crap tonne of bloat these days too. Some now even have their own skinned versions of Web browsers that they install. As well as trying to push VPN services to users based upon fear.

I guess when people are no longer willing to pay for products, the quality of those products seriously suffers, as they resort to ever more desperate ways to try and earn enough to not lay off a bunch of staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, it is just antivirus, not so much of web monitoring stuff and other things. Sadly recently it was really impossible to live with. Might be that it is Windows 8.1 only issue, they probably not making too much effort for old windows versions in that.

@PriusRepellent yeah, mbam is part of my 'kit', used to earn living by fixing computers so I have that just in case kit of various programs and tools, though it is less and less updated as with age interest of fiddling with something that works is not so interesting anymore, used to be that computer problem was fun to encounter, now I rather would watch snail race or paint drying to wall than deal with computer issues, with age more and more KISS and don't fix if it is not broken principles and less touching the better :D

I don't think that I have ever had issue with virus myself, most of pc's that I have cleaned have had F-Secure, Avira or Norman (that was long time ago though), but more commonly infected had no hardware firewall and using IE.

I had issues with Defender sometime earlier too, removing and reinstalling did cure those for a while, but didn't want to start fighting with it again.

Performance vs detection is always bit of tradeoff, as I'm browsing web JS disabled most of the time and quite heavily modified browser for searching stuff, I though that I go with more focus on performance for now, time will show how poor my choice is, but for now I got great improvement for performance aspect.

I have no idea how credible this site is, some of data is really old there, but I did read forum post where author of that site wrote a long and in my opinion quite good post about testing methodology and at least it appeared to me that there was genuine will to make scientific comparison of different software, but you never know as things change so quickly when money gets involved:
    https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/

From there I spy that Microsoft (Defender) is slowest of all, it has not always been so, but that is test done April of this month and sure enough, I can agree with that.

BitDefender is at good position in many sites and tests, might try that too, I chose another though, but then again for my purposes as long as it does not make system performing poorly, almost anything goes.

So which I chose?
    I'm not really willing to tell actually, because from some odd reason discussion of chosen brand of AV is very quickly turning holy war of religion, like AMD/Intel, if differences are mostly within 2% between those who have been long in the game, is there really other to choose than personal preference of options, UI and performance impact?
    Some work for some, other for others, if company has been around for eons, I guess that is just fine, I really don't need antivirus, it is just there for worst case scenario :D

It would be nice to have very light firewall that controls outgoing programs and not much more, but there really is no such thing, it is always coming with bloat and while Zonealarm was nice more than 10 years ago, it became something horrible long long time ago. There just is more trouble from those than benefit so often.

Update: Forgot one thing, Malwarebytes seems to give quite high number of false positives.
    It claimed something like Machine learning / Malware 96% but program which it claimed that was something I had written by myself.
    Just simple piece of code to log temperature from Arduino via serial port and show temperature as analog gauge reading as well as scalable graph and writing readings to database.

#7918 fufsgfen, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

So I decided to test Comodo firewall in addition to change in antivirus as according to Internet contest would be mostly between Zone Alarm and Comodo, latter winning hands down.

It has not been perfect trip so far, after booting it took almost a minute to see desktop after login, firewall kept using 15% of CPU, but next boot has mostly cured those issues, but on default firewall likes to windows leak all it wants and to prevent that it seems one needs to turn settings to annoying questioning level.

We'll see what comes out of it eventually.

There is one odd curiosity though, Logitech gaming software is wanting to access Comodo firewall exe constantly. Other programs don't behave like that.

Update: Comodo Firewall was short experiment, it prevented computer to return from standby reliably.

When uninstalling it broke network side of windows, had to manually fix services as it had disabled network location awareness service and services that rely on that did not start, which meant no working internet, wonderful.
    It might be good, if it would not make starting computer to be game of Russian roulette.

#7919 fufsgfen, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  20. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

I found an AOL diamond CD from 2000, still sealed

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice