General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

same really, I'd have it over a DS or Nintendo switch, but I doubt I'd ever buy another console anyway :p (I don't understand why they sell so much, I'd rather have a device that can play games and can do productivity tasks)

2. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

the switch and ds are really only good if you wanna play games the PSP can do multitasking nicely but more on the gaming side too as you basically can use it for emulation of old games wich is nice and the switch is a blast with friends

3. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I have to agree, it's a shame that split screen multiplayer doesn't exist really on widows. I really do miss that feature from consoles.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

It does in some games.
    That said. I love my switch, fantastic little machines

5. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

sadly there arent alot of new games just alot of remakes

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I think my GPU is dying, was playing Forza Horizon 3, and it's typically at around 80% GPU usage on lowest settings at 1080p (with shadows on), but this time it was 100% no matter what, even tried going for 1280x720 and turning shadows off but still 100% utilization even when it looked like a potato on screen.
    I was recording with NVENC and that dropped to 10fps roughly.

And no my card wasn't throttling, it was at 58c the whole time. At 100% utilization and 58c is mad, it's not consuming enough power

Also, can GDDR ram be used too much? Like can it wear out. Since i have a 2gb card and all the time the memory is probably being thrashed, like forza was using 5.2gb of vram and so there was a lot of swapping i should imagine.

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Maybe PSU or power parts of GPU or some software glitch which is fixed by restart.

Win10 is horrible as it updates drivers constantly hidden from user, so with that bad new driver is always on option.

I liked driver installation where there were no exes, you had to point .inf file of new driver, you got only driver and process was reliable, efficient etc. These days everything is bloated nonsense which just increases fault probability.

KISS is truly forgotten at this era.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I think it might be something to do with Windows 10, I'll reinstall GPU drivers and go from there. Don't want to have another windows reinstall again. It's only on Forza Horizon 3, that game really annoys me, still really glitchy and won't receive any updates :(

9. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Im guessing the problem is with forza as its a broken mess of a game it cant even manage to save my game settings

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Basically. And trying to explain to my console gaming friends that no my PC isnt a potato, most of which don't understand the term "optimisation". But I digress, I hope FH4 is better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Another speculative execution attack discovered in Intel chips, this one called "Foreshadow." It breaks something called SGX - I have no idea what that is, but from what I've read, it sounds important. However:

"As in the case with Meltdown, we believe our processors are not susceptible to the new speculative execution attack variants called Foreshadow or Foreshadow-NG due to our hardware paging architecture protections. We are advising customers running AMD EPYC™ processors in their datacenters, including in virtualized environments, to not implement Foreshadow-related software mitigations for their AMD platforms." - AMD official statement

I am never buying an Intel processor again. Intel clearly has some serious ligma in their products.

12. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

I bet that in 10 years ARM will conquer the computing space, since the Intel-led x86-based chips are lagging on power consumption and lack of true innovation IRL.

13. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Finally, the return of RISC! PowerPC kicked ass back when it was new. I'm sick of computing on the same old glorified Intel 8008's we've been using for the past 46 years.

14. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

But honestly, I always prefer x86 over ARM due to it's versatility and performance, but still, the days of x86 is going to end.

15. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Forza Motorsport 7 is somewhat better so hopefully horizon will be better but lets wait and see the other annoing thing is that ot costs 100 euros and often doesnt quite run im also hoping my graphics card will manage fh4

16. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I suppose it depends on the resolution you want to run at, 750ti at 1080p might be a stretch on a Forza game, my 960 struggles enough at 1080p. Scraping 30-40FPS on Low

17. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

i manage to make it run on mid to high at 1080p with 30fps but i dont have stuff on like DOF and blurr and so on wich usually costs lots of usage

• Like Like x 1
  18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

So I have heatsink on M2 SSD and also 12cm fan blowing air to it's general direction, but trouble is that GPU is placed on top of it, so GPU kinda covers SSD, so it is kinda hard to get good airflow there.

It tends to get up to 50C when playing, which is not horribly hot, but still quite warm, considering normal temp for it is 36C.

There is another slot, but it is sitting under CPU heatsink, making it kinda impossible to get airflow there.

So I guess that PCI-E M2 card would be my only option to keep SSD at lower temps, however that would then easily be either on way of GPU airflow or PSU airflow (PSU is fanless, so it requires hot air to be allowed to rise to case).

Sometimes motherboard designs are not helping good cooling.

Maybe I get 5 more fans to case, as there are 2x fan places at side panel and on roof, as well as 1 at back, maybe overall airflow would make situation better. Anyone has experience of this kind of situation?

Update: I'm getting something like 7-10C lower peak temps with SSD placed under the CPU heatsink, but idle temp is almost 4C higher, also cools off after heavy use slower and I'm still getting thermal throttling.

Need to figure way to get some airflow for SSD.

Problem with fast Nvme is heat it produces, without heatsink, when copying really large files, people have measured over 100C with thermal cameras.

I have large fin copper heatsinks on it, small ones and several for faster cooling after load and big fins help to dissipate heat to air better than flat surface, however without airflow it still is not quite as good as I would like to.

#8018 fufsgfen, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

There is about 1% of i7-6700 CPU's that are faster than mine:
    upload_2018-8-17_11-58-42.png

In fact, average 6700K is slower in quad core computing than my 6700 and in SC mine is only 6% slower:
    upload_2018-8-17_12-0-19.png

Even 8086K is only 18-19% faster in single core computing, but that is of course not whole truth as with K series there is overclocking possibility.

With overclocking average 8086K gets 160 points in single core while mine gets 'only' 118 points, so that is seriously faster CPU, but with mb price of upgrade is just too insane and still it would be only around 35% faster.

Still need to optimize this system bit further, managing SSD and case temperature should give little help to large file copying / video recording performance as SSD is still throttling bit too much for my taste. In normal use it does not throttle that bad anymore, but Copying 10GB can bring speed down to 200MB/s which is totally unacceptable.

GPU is enough long to act as a wall in case and most of heat it makes goes up, so above it there is CPU cooler and SSD under that gigantic CPU cooler, which then is kinda bad for keeping all the bits cool.

Side panel mounted fan is bit close to CPU cooler and there is still just very small gap between GPU and CPU cooler, where that fan attempts to blow air to SSD:
    upload_2018-8-17_12-41-46.png

You can kinda see SSD with copper heatsinks there, but not really:
    upload_2018-8-17_12-51-51.png

Also, another interesting point, from some reason, as I have SSD at upper slot, all three GPU fans are working, but when I have SSD at lower slot, only two GPU fans are working, that is beyond my brain capacity to understand why it is so, I did test this numerous of times so it really is working that way, maybe it is some bug in MB?

Anyway, next I try to put fans on ceiling and see if I can promote enough vertical airflow, to alter SSD temps with that. If not, then there really is not much more to do about it. Motherboard with SSD slot placed in lower right corner of MB would work much better.

Update: Ceiling fan is not helping much at all, sure there is hot air exhausted, but then again around same amount happens without fan too as case is quite free flowing.

So there is not better than sidepanel mounted fan option so far, that however is tad too noisy option.

Sidepanel open and having a desk fan nearby does work so much better still, but that too kinda misses the point of silent build...

If GPU would be 1cm shorter, I could put it on lower slot, but of course not possible. For i3 with iGPU case and MB was fine, but seeking more performance certainly does have certain downsides.

Update2:
    Quite interesting, having side panel closed and fan attached to it has MB temp up to 36C and SSD temp around 40C
    However while having case closed if I put desk fan to blow even slightly towards computer case MB temp drops to 30C and SSD temp to 36C (idle temps).
    Even mesh at side of the case is quite free flowing, that still seems to be too restricting for case fan as even slight airflow improves performance of case fan so dramatically.
    Also note that case fan runs around 1000rpm without desk fan and around 470rpm with desk fan, but there is no way desk fan airflow would reach MB or SSD, all air must pass trough case fan.

So mesh in side panel is too restrictive and need to remove good part of that to reduce noise levels and improve airflow.

Update3:
    Removing mesh from side panel, so that there is nothing restricting fan, did lower temps by 2C on MB and SSD, but less than I hoped for.
    Helping case fan with a desk fan lower SSD temp 3 degrees more at idle.

#8019 fufsgfen, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  20. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

50c really isn't that bad, it's solid state, no moving parts to overheat. It's just silicone, should be good for 80+c, obviously you don't want it at that temp all the time, but 50c idling is fine, no more than 70c and you should be good.
    --- Post updated ---
    I found why forza runs so bad. So it runs fine at the start, around 60fps or so! (low settings 1080p). Then as i play through and cover the whole map, the gpu memory rises and rises, and eventually it just bogs down my machine until it sits around 100% GPU usage and 30FPS. It also causes stutters on my recording (now doing it through iQSV). A

Overall, on Lowest texture quality, Forza uses 6gb of vram ish. Completely unacceptable when the minimum requirement is 2gb.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice