General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Some new features in them have no much use for now, but are interesting, especially AI related part that I did read about.

Something BeamNG.Research might use maybe.

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

They advertise that there is only 50 000 of 8086k CPUs made, making it limited edition.

How true you think that claim is?

For example Ferrari has made such claims of certain models and then there still is quite lot more of that model in reality, would Intel do the same?

Intel has had some claims in history which have not been quite same level of reality with me at least...

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Too slow...
    upload_2018-8-26_6-35-19.png

4. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

How much faster is a ryzen 7 2700x than my i5 6600k?

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Not much, unless you do rendering and run lot of cars where it has more speed:
    upload_2018-8-26_14-8-54.png

If you want fast for BeamNG, get i3-8350K or upgrade to your current motherboard 6700K, 7700K, cost difference might be minimal and at least in Germany they seem to be selling still 6th and 7th gen CPUs new:
    upload_2018-8-26_14-11-52.png

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

I would look 7700K new or used if I were you, it has enough multicore speed and one of the fastest single core speed, which BeamNG needs, especially in WCUSA and something like half of mod maps, it will run 7-8 vehicles just fine and with overclocking can get as fast as fastest 8th gen chip is on stock.

Cost would be 300-400

Overclocked 8350K might be faster in single core speed, but it will not run as many vehicles and cost with quality motherboard is same or more, however it will open upgrade path to 8th gen.

While new Ryzen is fast, even single core speed is quite ok, it still is going to cost CPU + MB and speed gains in multicore are not that much in practical world, even my Skylake non K is hardly ever reaching 100% on all cores, only if I would do rendering and then I can render so much faster with GPU.

Every day I'm limited by single core speed, one core is constantly hitting 100%, observe your CPU and you probably are using less of multicore capacity of your CPU than you think, probably in situations where you would need more computing power it is single core that is still limiting, there are monitoring tools for that and it is revealing when one uses those.

While I do love how AMD is coming back to game really strong and in a future software is probably getting better of using multicore power, it will take long time until importance of single core performance is becoming less important than multicore performance.

Sure many mainstream games have long been using more of multicore performance than single core, but from web browsing, to desktop use and especially for BeamNG single core performance is most important even today.

I doubt that overclocked new Ryzen will be faster than Overclocked 7700K, however one might need to delid 7700K which is one big annoyance. Another point is that AMD tends to run hotter and use more power, so bigger PSU requirements usually are true, however I haven't checked this new one, so better do research on that, but then again in your case I don't see that AMD best option.

Because you have 6600K, 7700K is straight fit that is something like 300-400 total cost with new one, less with used one, just make sure you have latest bios before swapping the CPU.

Also if you don't have good cooler, Hyper 212 is cost effective and should fit to most cases.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I was just wondering because a friend of mine bought a new PC with the Ryzen 7 and i wanted to know if mine can compete with that frame wise if i have a new graphics card someday but his graphics card is a 1080ti so

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

In BeamNG, depends probably from how far you can overclock and how far your friend can overclock, but on stock clocks your friend might have bit of edge, with several vehicles, a lot of edge :D

Your CPU probably will be probably holding back faster GPU than 1060 in BeamNG, but no need to be sad, your friend will not be in any better situation unless he overclocks Ryzen a lot.

I have about same single core performance and to get 1080 fed, it takes really light map, pure grid is CPU limited still, can get only 900fps and around 80% GPU load when CPU single core is maxed out there.

As long as game runs solid 60fps, it is fine though, so with faster GPU you should be fine.

Then on some other games, you don't need to compete, that Ryzen will gain a lot with all those cores.

8. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

ok so im gonna do some research on overclocking now. Also a 1060 with 6gb from zotac costs 200 euros and a normal 1070 costs 320 euros are the 120 euros worth it when im in the long run and wanna maybe upgrade the cpu later on again?

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

With 1060 you would probably look upgrading quite soon again, if they had to tap on quite bit on GPU power to make WCUSA to run, with Italy it probably is safe to say that 1060 will have some troubles?

Also if you can get used 1070 that would give you 1070 for price of 1060.

10. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Oh i already ordered a 1060 now

11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It should be fine, but I'm not 100% sure how it will handle WCUSA, probably no dynamic reflections at all, might need to keep SSAO off, but should run high details otherwise, afaik. That is 1080p @ 60fps and not dropping below 60fps at all which is a goal with a FFB wheel as FFB is weird below 60fps also some sounds can be weird below 60fps.

I know that 1080 can hit 80% at times in WCUSA if I have all bells and whistles on, faces per update can be used to bring GPU on it's knees, even 1080Ti I guess, but there is 2080 now...

I did order that 8086K for 440 euros + motherboard for 150 euros, all motherboards seem to have heatrapping ugly plastic covers and silly lights these days, was difficult to find one bit more conservative that would still have good M2 placement. Add postage to that and it is bit over 600 actually.
    8700k was priced at 390 euros so thought that for a price difference it is same to get selected chip for bit better probability of that 5Ghz if needed.
    gtx1080 barely used was 400 euros

Still need to upgrade to faster memory 2666Mhz DDR4 CL15 is not slow, but could be faster, so that will cost some 250 euros with a postage and sometime future I hope to add another 16GB and also SSD upgrade but that might take a year as paying all the debt from this spending will take time.

Sure next year intel will come up with faster CPUs, but I'm not sure how much single core speed increases when everyone is focusing on multicore speed. Will take quite many years until software really is free from single core performance limits.

Selling old hardware should bring total costs down a bit, but still quite expensive to get even near the top of the line performance. Latest Nvidia cards are pretty much faster already, but price with those is ridiculous TBH.

20 years from now, I probably won't need computer, if I get 2-5 years of solid performance, that is fine, probably can't see anything after 5 years anyways.

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Look, you're going to be just fine with a 1060. Leave high anti-aliasing and high dynamic reflection quality alone on a normal/normal-high mix of graphical settings.

When maps get massive is when you'll start running into some problems. 4096x4096 maps make my 1070 strain a bit with the camera pointed at busy portions of the map. Some of that good ol' Torque3D graphics engine awfulness.

13. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

And how about other games? Also its a zotac amp Edition so its overclocked from factory will it make a diffrence or is it vram wich will make problems?

14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

My experience is that overclocking is nothing these days, some 25Mhz on 1000Mhz or more is not many percent, Pascal GPUs are kinda overclocked by design, they automatically adjust clock speeds and there is quite little more to have by overclocking.

BeamNG is one of the GPU heaviest game I know, it is also one of the CPU heaviest games I know, so if it runs BeamNG, it will run other games incredibly well.

15. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Do i need to reinstall my pc or can i just remove the old drivers and install the new ones

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You have Nvidia card already, so just take old one out and put new on in and enjoy, that is how I did it :)

17. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

So no need to change drivers? Thats perfect!

18. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I'd recommend reinstalling your display drivers just in case. Download the latest WHQL driver from Nvidia, then use Display Driver Uninstaller. Hit "Clean and restart", your screen will flash a few times, and your PC will reboot. Install your newly downloaded display driver and you're good to roll!

MAKE SURE to download your display driver BEFORE using DDU as a safety net.

And in case you need it: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is same driver package for all cards, afaik. So as you have drivers already installed to system, it will just put correct settings etc. in next boot, screen might be ridiculously low resolution for a moment etc. but it will get it done.

Also if Win10 it will call microsoft and ask what to do, then it will do many odd things, many unnecessary things and somehow all will work sometimes, often needing to revert to older driver version or something :p Yeah, I have things against Win10 :D
    --- Post updated ---
    CPU limits my FPS on automation track, but it is 72-74fps with around 80% load on GPU with everything cranked up, dynamic reflections have 140m and detail one notch down as it is too crisp at full details, but faces per update is at maximum, if I take AA off, there is practically no change to direction or another.
    View attachment 455753

This is 1080 of course, 1070 might do those settings and that FPS too.

With 1050Ti, way to get dynamic reflections was set all dynamic reflection settings to minimum, texture size could be bit up and distance 60-80 meters.

Without dynamic reflections I'm getting 116fps with around 5% less GPU load than 74FPS, it acts bit funny as CPU limits again FPS, dynamic reflection is heavy also for CPU.

Now if I limit FPS to 74, I can see that GPU load is only 48% so 80-48 = 32% GPU load from heavy dynamic reflection settings alone, CPU load is around 40% less on thread that was loaded most heavily with dynamic reflections on.

To put that into perspective, 1050Ti can do something like what is around 42% GPU load of 1080, 1060 is perhaps 55-60% (I have to make wild guessing here as I have not done testing on 1060), I would think that 1070 is about 80% of 1080 and 1070Ti is pretty much same as 1080.

Minimum settings for dynamic reflections increase my GPU load only 2-4% and CPU load around 6%.

However do note that this applies only to test situation on that screenshot, CPU load and GPU load varies wildly depending from situation, map, car, etc.

Anyway I thought it would be interesting to see exactly how heavy dynamic reflections are and they are heavy, only on few maps I can keep them at full setting while having constant 60fps, it is also a CPU limitation as dynamic reflections are really heavy on CPU too, on some maps GPU hits 100% on some CPU is limiting far before hitting 100% on GPU, on some maps I can't keep dynamic reflections on as it is so heavy on CPU and such maps are already so heavy on CPU.

AA and AF, I can't tell really difference, there might be 1-2 fps or 1-2% of CPU/GPU load, but it seems on that situation and with my hardware, there seems not to be huge effect, it is 116-117fps or with locked to 74fps CPU and GPU load jumps around same numbers. However I remember AA having somewhat large effect with 1050Ti on some situations at least, might be bigger effect when GPU is at 100%, but it is surprisingly small effect with modern hardware between 0x or 16x AF.

20. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Damn

E8986E41-448A-48B7-AFE6-B2ECA7AE2AFC.jpeg

190MHz worth of early 90's awesomeness

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice