General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

currently my cpu is still limited by the 1060 in beam sometimes and in other games its basically 100percent gpu and 70 percent cpu so i think my pc is relatively nicely balanced

2. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

my GPU is roughly at 40% use, i could change settings but some maps are wayy more GPU intensive than others.
    I've got a 144Hz monitor, but because I have multimonitor then it screws it up and goes to 60Hz.

3. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

i have a 60Hz one i think i should probably do some research it

4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I have a 144Hz monitor, in extended mode with an ancient 60Hz monitor (1280x1024). So everything is limited to 60Hz. Not a massive deal as I can't hold 120Hz in any game anyway :p

5. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

i can now only get up to 80 in forza maybe higher in a older game

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think that in BeamNG currently no one can hold 144fps, unless turning shadows off, hiding UI and having graphics normal or low to avoid CPU load.

Then again, even gtx1080 can't hold 144fps on high if dynamic reflections are set to max and ssao on maps that are allowing higher framerates without CPU limit, so game can be also GPU heavy, but it varies by settings and by map.

So for this game, 1060 is really ok, 1070 might be bit faster on few maps, but I doubt there being any practical difference between 1070 and 1080Ti on most maps and for other games 1050Ti plays most games I have tested 60fps on 1080p with all settings cranked up or on high, so 1060 should do fine on other games too as it is much faster than 1050Ti.

That is today, what is tomorrow in BeamNG, only devs know.

For fps generally anything over 60fps is wasted on 60Hz monitor as you get only 60 updates per second, so when you have solid 60 frames per second, it is kinda beautiful match and on my very slow and cheap monitor that 60fps works best.

Vsync is kinda such that it sends frames only when monitor can draw them, so you give chance for hardware to buffer something, computer runs cooler and is more silent too, it works fine as long as you make sure without vsync you can get more than 60fps in all situations, then have vsync on and it is butter smooth, but if it ever drops even to 59fps vsync makes it to 30fps or something like that for short time.

That is then where people get this idea that vsync is causing stuttering, while it really does remove stuttering, however things break down if you can't keep up 60fps.

Hence my obsession to run this game 60fps and never drop below that as it looks terrible when I get such drops, equally as bad as running 100fps or 70fps or 40fps, which don't differ much at all from each other as when I turn everything moves in big chunks which is stuttering kind.

So keeping vsync on and making sure I never drop below 60fps and it is smooth, not sure if it has to do with my slow monitor or what.

Freesync etc. are really cool in there as you don't need to get that constant 60fps, so at least in theory 100fps and 40fps should be stuttering free, well not sure what are limits of the technology there, but that is the idea.

Now 60fps without vsync is not smooth either, some frames are lost as monitor is not ready to take them in, so that is why there is vsync to send frames to screen so there is no missing ones.

It is kinda like a rotating disc with 60 holes in it, you send something trough at one position only so if hole does not happen to be on position when you send, nothing goes trough, vsync makes sure things work.

In WWI they had to synchronize machine gun to shoot trough propeller of plane, that is bit similar thing, although shooting propeller would be much more bad :p

One of the issues with vsync is input lag and to cure that there is option in nvidia drivers called triple buffering, here is bit of something about it:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2

There is lot of all kind of guides at the net though, some are more based on facts, some less, thing is all depends from monitor and your preferences too, so some things are never going to work same for everyone.

Live for speed is terrible though, no matter what settings I put in, when I turn at the corner everything vertical goes back and forth or moves in big chunks, not sure what has gotten to that since it was not that bad in ancient history with slow hardware.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I can hold 120fps initially, but it drops to around 100fps as I see more vegetation etc. This is in ECUSA, and that is really going for it with quite low settings. WCUSA is a dog though, 60 is my target for that, and in city especially around that building, I drop to 20-30.

In grid map 144Hz is possible, but that is grid map :p

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

If I keep dynamic reflections off, but have everything else full, WCUSA lowest is around 70fps and highest around 175fps (go to the big bridge and look away from the city and you can tell even iGPU runs WCUSA at 60fps... ), this is with D15 incar view.

Mostly it is 80-110fps outside the city and 70-80 inside the city.

With low dynamic reflections it is barely keeping 60fps as minimum, CPU just is not enough fast on that map.

WCUSA is using more GPU than other maps, for that to run 60fps on high, I would guess 1070 might be needed, but turning ssao off, should allow 1060 6GB to run it at 60fps, if CPU is enough fast as there is that CPU part too which is heavy on that map.

This 1 car result 40.305 tells something about single core performance, which again is something WCUSA needs quite a bit. 8700k @5.2Ghz seems to be getting bit over 50 according to Banana benchmark thread, my 6700 non k gets this bit over 40, which is pretty fast for 3.4Ghz. Good 6600k with overclock should get to 46 or so and 4790k should get 43 or so.

I did not see horrible lot of over 40 results in Banana benchmark topic, that just means really lot of people are CPU limited at WCUSA, considering my single core speed limits it to around 60fps with dynamic reflections on.

Update:
    @skodakenner your 6600k is plenty fast for BeamNG, especially with an overclock it should be faster than any AMD, only when you want to use more than 3-4 cars some other CPU might do slightly better, but still that CPU will outperform even Threadripper for most part in BeamNG, because car graphics are still single core limited, so add more cars and multiple cores are not helping because core that runs graphics is the bottle neck.

#8088 fufsgfen, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

im gonna try OC the next days but first i gotta do research how warm it gets as i dont want it to get to hot
    Edit one(sorry for pokemon on one screen its just a youtube vid) this is beam without OC im now gonna try the inbuilt oc mode from my motherboard and see if it is running faster
    upload_2018-9-2_18-24-45.png
    Edit 2 now running 4.1 GHz
    upload_2018-9-2_18-33-32.png

#8089 skodakenner, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That looks good, with overclock your CPU is bit faster than mine in what comes to this BeamNG graphics bottleneck and that should help to keep your GPU fed and happy :)

For example here fastest AMD is 4823 points, my CPU gets 5097 points and 8700k gets 5910 points. That tells mostly how well CPU can handle BeamNG graphics bottleneck and is important for keeping that GPU fed for keeping that 60fps minimum:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks

Some good samples of 6600k can overclock quite high as there is no hyperthreading to heat it up, some 7700k can get higher scores in single core benchmarks, but 6600k can get quite close and 8700k is not a lot faster with maximum clocks what I have seen, sure it is faster, but not hugely faster.

Sadly AMD is not good at that, but it is really good at more threaded tasks, if BeamNG improves on that CPU graphics part, that would help a lot with AMD processors and it would allow all CPUs with more threads to be utilized better, so that more cars could be run, but there is not knowing if that is possible.

However with your 6600k you can outperform most CPUs and for example Ryzen would not be quite as fast in BeamNG, only after 3-4 cars it would start to be faster, but still probably not keeping up framerate because of this CPU graphics bottleneck.

It just is way BeamNG works.

11. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Just wondering what i could do now to make it faster as im currently happy with cpu and gpu Performance what else is there to do now?

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Keeping software running on background as low as possible is always good goal for speeding computer up.

Memory and SSD, CL14 memory is faster than usual CL16, also Nvme ssd is really sweet for boot up and loading speeds.

Also you need to update your signature :D

13. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Turns out there's a cybersecurity company called Fortinet. They make firewalls and other things. I did what their marketing department couldn't:

upload_2018-9-2_15-6-49.png

Bill Gates announces Security 2, now with battle royale mode

#8093 vmlinuz, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  14. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Updatef the signature and the ssd is something im gonna buy if its on sale but the ram is really expensive my current one cost nearly a hundred euros more than when i bought it

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, 16GB of fast memory is 200-300 euros currently. You have Hyper-x memory?

I have 2666Mhz CL15 Hyper-x and running XMP with it, but there are faster ones out there (I'm getting over 30GB/s fast ones are 40GB/s), so I'm trying to figure out which of those would work with my coming system, problem is mb manufacturer of course don't lists fastest memory under lower cost motherboard compatibility list, what would be selling point for more expensive mb then? I guess it will work, in luck we trust...

16. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I had those routers in my school. Someone pointed at it and shouted fortnite and everyone laughed :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Yes i have the Hyper x Fury 2x8gb 2666mhz ram but dont know the exact one if its a CL15 or a diffrent sort

18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You can find out with CPU-Z program, that shows memory timings, but Fury is CL15 unless I remember wrong. They had CL16 too, but at least CL13 model was called something else than Fury, probably CL16 version had different name too.

Probably same as this, albeit I have 4x4GB as I did have only 8 first, then I upgraded later with another kit of the same. Upgrading to 2x8gb faster ones would make room for 32GB later on.
    upload_2018-9-2_22-31-22.png

I did read that this memory should be good for 3000Mhz or even more, but with my CPU I haven't had luck of getting faster than 2666Mhz.

19. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Going to look it up tommorow as im not on my pc anymore

20. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I did understand to examine only dual channel memory results now, it seems fastest can put out 33.4GB/s:
    upload_2018-9-4_10-6-0.png

I'm getting 32.2GB/s and 27.6GB/s, but it varies a bit, I have seen 28GB/s for latter:
    upload_2018-9-4_10-7-22.png

So to get 40Gb/s one would need quad channel, not very huge differences?

Going by average bench percentages, at maximum I might get something like 20% faster with faster memory, however need to see how much difference faster CPU makes on this, but 2666Mhz CL15 Hyper-X might be just about enough fast to there being not much gains with upgrading.

That is if it works with new motherboard, which is not perfect marriage by memory compatibility charts, I see 2 sticks is supported, but not my 4 sticks, but situation is same even for my current motherboard and there are no real issues, XMP used to be bit unstable, but it is better with latest bios, so lets see what happens, if it works, I might wait longer and upgrade to 32GB two sticks sometime later, as speed gains might not be very big, even in BeamNG.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice