General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

I'm so excited that I have to go back to hospital tomorrow to know wether or not I have to go through surgery or some kind of therapy. </sarcasm>

2. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

That sounds like an IT nightmare. I assume they're set up to reload from a clean OS image on reboot?

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Ours boot an OS image from the network over PXE but it is a computing server. Applications are also loaded from a server.
    Clean configuration data each bootup. We dont have full admin, but a large amount of normally admin settings have been unlocked.

There is 1 room with machines booting locally rather than PXE. We have 100% admin access on these. Settings dont get cleared.

4. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Sounds really easy for someone to screw things up, intentionally or not. Giving non-IT people admin/root access doesn't seem like a great idea, even if they're CS students. But I guess if it works, it's fine.

5. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Oh yes, first ever interview and got offered the job on the spot. Working at a place called Greenbridge Technology. I start Monday, looking forward to this! :D

6. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

i loled at this. i remember the good old days of having a d series. simpler times.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

2 things to say:
    Happy Australia Day!

Also: Brendan O'Carroll (Irish comedian best known for playing "Agnes Brown" in "Mrs Brown's Boys") is an absolutely amazing bloke, whilst here in Australia on tour he heard the tragic story of a pregnant mother in Hobart, Tasmania being killed after driving her husband to work. She was travelling home with her 2 year old son in the back when her car was struck head on by a 15 year old in a stolen car, her 2 year old son survived & doctors were able to deliver the unborn child who also thankfully survived. Brendan O'Carroll just decided to donate 50 thousand dollars to her family. What an awesome person.

• Like Like x 2
  8. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

meanwhile in bathurst....

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Nope, but they ghost the computers occasionally. Any computers that start running into any issues are usually ghosted quickly. I have only ever had an issue once where a computer was keeping the hdd at 100% all the time meaning it didnt work properly, so I just used a different computer and it was fixed by the next time I was in there.

As for storage we either have to use OneDrive (through Uni) or any format that we like, so USB sticks or any other cloud solution. Since everyone uses the admin account. The computer science computers are not attached to the rest of the school system, so our local accounts and local sorage are not attached to them in any way.

There is also full Campus wide wifi, so I can connect my tablet to that if I feel like it which also allows me to work from University seating areas and so on. I presume that the Uni does have some form of content filtering to block nsfw content, but I have never ran into any filtering while being here. For example 100% of steam works on the University network on both wifi and computers.

So yeah, It seems to be on a please be responsible system and it seems to work.

#23049 aljowen, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

no issues with ours too although computing provides us with our own personal ftp and mysql space and our global uni account storage is mapped onto our computing accounts too

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

They used to do that here too (minus the accounts on comp sci PC's). But this year they have switched to using ms Azure, pain to setup but seems to function fairly well.

For example my Web Authoring Assignment from last semester: http://webauthalwyn.azurewebsites.net/index.html

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

oh yeah I've also got personal web server space. Ftp/sql/web are under a seperate Linux server. Can be reached off site

13. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

They are pretty reliable engines if you take good care of them* My dad has one in our 96 civic sedan 300,000 kms and the rocker cover hasn't even been taken off yet (under our possession at least)
    Still runs like it did when it rolled under the assembly line in Nelson.

*well at least the ones that were hand assembled in NZ yep the one in my dads car was hand assembled by men.

• Like Like x 1
  14. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Throw in some rods and 75mm Suzuki vitara pistons and you have an engine that will hold 450 horsepower. Really great motors for anything!

• Like Like x 1
  15. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

"Did we run anybody over?"-Mom, 2016

16. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Uh

17. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Enough lighting ? :p

Attached Files:

• upload_2016-1-26_2-25-27.png
  18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

yeah you would be surprised. Cross marque piston replacement, not first time I've heard of it

19. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

You better not have the audacity to think that is an acceptable house.

20. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

It's an office building you daft Australian :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice