General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Great, so apparently the price increases in university fees also effect students who are continuing. Its not that the increase is big, its only £9250 compared to the £9000 it costed before (per year). But to throw that on students who are 2 years into studying and signed up under the impression that it was going to cost them £9000 a year is a bit of a scummy move. Since its not like anyone is going to call it quits after already paying £18000 over a £250 increase.

This isn't to say I don't empathise for new students who are going to have to pay more than me, its more that putting the price up in the middle of a service that I can't really back out of is super slimy. Especially since this isn't forced upon universities.

2. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Fucking really Air Canada, this is the best you could come up with?

It's literally the most boring, generic livery conceivable. It's sharp. Fine. But it has no symbolism whatsoever, and it's just boring. I mean this is a flag carrier, essentially the face of Canada overseas, and what does it say about us? I wasn't a huge fan of the old ice blue design, but at least it was unique and had meaning. I honestly can't even think of a single way to make this one worse.

Look at these alternative designs:

3tfn5ryw2qmx.png

Not ONE of these was better? Is Air Canada just too broke to afford red paint or something? The one they chose looks like it took five minutes to make, and even then I could probably make something better in that amount of time.

/rant

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

It looks like the Texaco logo :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

What was Air Canada thinking in the livery department? Shit, I like the livery AC used from 1965-1988 better than that livery.
    air-canada-boeing-727-200-fsx1.jpg

I agree with you 100% on your opinion of Air Canada's new livery. The classic 1965-1988 livery looks sharp, and has symbolism considering Air Canada is Canada's fucking national carrier, and it could not have shown the face of Canada overseas, considering the logo on the tail is a fucking maple leaf inside a circle. Why couldn't Air Canada design a retro livery that uses the 1965-1988 livery?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Exactly, it's not unique. Change it to say something other than Air Canada and it could pass for anything.
    I literally just set a timer for 5 minutes to see if I was right, and I think I came up with something pretty good inspired by that livery. Just working out a better rendition now.

#29445 Googlefluff, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I like it. It's simple. No need to be flashy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Captain. Adam

Captain. Adam
    Expand Collapse

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Most of the old things look better than new things, same with Air Canada now I guess.

Maple leaf is red on very dark blue, I might not know what color works on what, but I would say that is one of the worst ones.

Canada is white/red for me at least, that dark blue is like saying we are Americans now, which leads me to ask if Air Canada has forgotten what Canada is in their name?

I hope that if we see Air Canada planes in BeamNG, they will use that very nice old design.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

5 minutes.

ac.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think this one has identity of Canada, they should of paid you that ridiculous sum they most likely did pay to advertising office from stupid design, it would of been money much better spent.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

It's actually black, not blue, but you're right. Putting red on a dark colour is a pretty big no-no in terms of graphic design. This isn't the worst use of it I've seen, but it could be better.

Overall, the more I look at it, the less I hate it. I still think it could be a lot better and it definitely doesn't make me think "Canadian", but the retro design is kind of endearing. The one thing I definitely like is the black cockpit surround, but other than that it gets a "meh" from me, now that the initial surprise has worn off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

>
    Whatever happened to the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Why can't Air Canada leave the livery the fuck alone?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

It's fine for stripes and designs, but not when legibility is a factor (as in writing or an intricate maple leaf). You'll notice all the logos, numbers, and things that need to be legible are in higher contrast. Imagine the Z-Line logo as red or the lettering in the Rheem logo as black and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, here's my five minute design:
    mcmstt8n.png
    (the idea and a quick sketch took five minutes)

• Like Like x 1
  15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

You can make a perfectly legible logo with red and black. The problem is that Canada's flag is not red and black. But I can see what they were going for, they wanted to make their brand appear more upscale and classy rather than modern and younger. So they took a more retro aesthetic in order to reflect that.

16. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I love red and black as a color combination.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Well, I love red, black, gold, white, tawny brown, and black as colour combinations. (I'll leave it up to you to guess what WSL liners used those colours). Hint, those WSL liners had 4 funnels.

18. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

wat
    weirdsovietunion.png

• Like Like x 1
  19. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

The Olympic class of course. Shouldn't orange and yellow be on that list too? The Titanic and Olympic had orange funnels, and I think the Britannic had funnels that were more yellow than orange. A lot of color pictures I see of the vessel, its funnels have a yellow paint job.
    --- Post updated ---
    Ponies, they're everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  20. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

The colours of the funnels on the Olympic-Class liners were often referred to as tawny brown, or more of a beige colour, but never yellow. No expert or historian has ever suggested this. Unfortunately, this belief still persists, and there is a great deal of misinformation that perpetuates this belief. The colour name for the funnels are often referred to as the "White Star Buff".

However, due to the misconceptions surrounding the White Star Buff, many models get the colour of the lower portion of the funnels wrong due to the White Star Buff's lower portion being incorrectly recommended as either lemon yellow or mustard yellow, which is both contextually and historically wrong. Be careful of names, because they stick. White Star Buff is not an easy color to describe. No color within the range discussed is easily labeled, and even the dominant hue is modified by a few others. Saying “yellow” is misleading, as is “tan” or “brown”. Using one term or the other may help characterize it or distinguish it from another in your mind, but remember that it’s not a pure color. When you hear a one-word descriptor of the color, remember that White Star Buff can’t be described that way.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice