General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Wild Hog

Wild Hog
    Expand Collapse

There's already a patch for Windows XP and up but that doesn't do anything when there's a infected computer in your network obviously... so I just disabled all that local networking crap I didn't need anyway just to make sure

2. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

Why waste time to disable stuff when you already have another OS that has non of that. But Linux has its disadvantages that are slowly fading away, that it can't run some Windows programs (especially games).

3. Wild Hog

Wild Hog
    Expand Collapse

I'm so far quite pleased with what Win 7 offers me. I have used Linux in the past and while it was a pretty good experience I still think that Win 7 is better for me. Maybe when the extended support of Win 7 ends I'll try it again but as for now I'm more than happy with it.

Note that it is not my intention to start an argument here.

#31163 Wild Hog, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  4. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

There maybe some ranting in some parts.
    In short if you don't want to read, Windows was a nice OS line, maybe switching to Linux if Windows starts going bad, ranting of 10 S, and I miss using XP & 7.

Yea, let us not start a flame war about which OS to use now. Everyone has their own preference. Anyways, I might be just switching over to Linux completely if the Windows train goes downhill too fast (the reason why: 10 S (aka The Store Only option that locks down your system.)).
    They claim that it is targeted for education. If you looked long enough in the store, you can see some nice surprises. All that 10 S is a money grabber designed to lock down your system til you pay the 50 dollars or change the OS. Broken system of Microsoft's. Wish they stop. But they won't. They want everyone to use their new fancy Spyware in a OS. (If you don't know what I mean, install some internet tracking program like Fiddler or Wireshark and open them up and start typing.)
    Been using Windows 10 for quite a while, so I miss Windows 7 a bit, and even more, XP. I updated to 10 because it was a new OS and was free at the time, and knew some privacy concerns going on a the time, so disabled those parts of the OS. Windows 7 will eventually go out of support, so took advantage at the time. Nice things like Windows 7 and XP don't last, sadly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

The new YouTube layout seems to have disappeared for me, the opt in button no longer works, meaning I can't get the dark theme back. This is terrible.

On the topic of OS's, I am a student, and get free Windows 10 pro keys to use on my own devices. As such, my PC is staying on Win7 until I have no options left. At which point it will have to move to Win10 pro.

I have an SSD with Linux installed. I haven't booted onto that physical drive in months though. So far my experiences with Linux haven't been all that great. Some things about it are awesome, but I struggle to be productive with it, since I generally find I have to spend ages fiddling with it to make it do what I want. At which point it generally tends to crash (most likely KDE's fault) and I lose the will to live, then switch back to Win7 and get on with what I was trying to do.

For me user experience is everything, if an OS is ugly and difficult to use, I don't really care too much about it. As such Linux tends to fall pretty flat for me. When someone makes a desktop manager for it that is well supported, function and beautiful to use, I may be tempted to try some more with it.

#31165 aljowen, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  6. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I have long hair. I'm really tired of it. I want to buzz it off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Fixed it for ya :)

8. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

That is why there is multiple desktop environments. I find Xfce quite nice. It depends on perspective though, so for some, Windows 95 could be beautiful while for others, Windows 95 could be ugly. Applies to just about everything.

9. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

My hair grows out, not down. Any time I get my hair cut I give the shop a nice carpet of hair.

10. Wild Hog

Wild Hog
    Expand Collapse

The new Youtube design was the most stupid, awful to use and the most ugly experience I ever had with youtube.... and it broke YouTube Plus

So glad I don't have to deal with it anymore

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

You never had to deal with the new YouTube design, you could turn it on and off at your own will. It was still an opt in beta feature.

The reason I liked it was because it had a built in dark mode, which I much preferred.
    ScreenShot2017-06-28at204322.png
    On the left is how the new UI looked, on the right is the old one.

I don't use any browser extensions for YouTube since I try to keep my browser as lightweight as I possibly can in terms of extensions. So compatibility with them doesn't matter to me, they would get updated to the new UI anyway.

12. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I have sorta wavy hair. It grows down. I've been growing it for two and a half years. It's pretty much down to my armpits. I'm tired of dealing with it. I'm tired of it being in my face when there's wind, I'm tired of not being able to enjoy a car with more than one window down, I'm tired of it all sticking to me in the shower, I'm tired of getting stuck on low hanging tree branches, I'm tired of having to push it out of my face all the time.
    It'd feel soooo good to just buzz it off. I really want to but I don't want to do anything rash..

13. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Strange, so dark theme seems to be back online again, but the left side bar is totally screwed. I guess the YouTube servers must have got messed up.
    ScreenShot2017-06-28at212039.png ScreenShot2017-06-28at212620-fullpage.png

Main reason I like it though is the dark theme video pages.

14. Wild Hog

Wild Hog
    Expand Collapse

Oh was it? Then why did they randomly redirected me to that new design every time I went on YouTube? I never asked for it, I didn't even know about the new design until YouTube forced it on me.

Was a nightmare to turn off too, for some reason, the 'Back to the current layout' (or whatever it was called) button didn't work half the time.

15. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Making sirens mods that utilise jojo38's siren mod is easy... That's why I love making siren mods.

16. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Serving spoons! Either that or you can make them into eating spoons by cutting your face open Joker style.

17. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

so this is my cable one "high speed" connection
    20170628_193626.jpg
    and yes, I am connected to wifi
    20170628_193649.jpg

18. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Hey, what are your thoughts on this photo taken on Mars?

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a flying car?

19. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

It's just a rock with some odd lighting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tesla66

Tesla66
    Expand Collapse

that's what they want you to think!

"X-Files theme intensifies"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice