General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. EcoNadder77

EcoNadder77
    Expand Collapse

Did you perform a clean installation, or did you update it via the app from the App Store?

2. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

Can't use App Store to downgrade (it says that this version of macOS is too new), I have to use the Disk Utility mode.

It's currently starting in that mode.

#33582 Godzilla!, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  3. EcoNadder77

EcoNadder77
    Expand Collapse

Every time I install a new OS, I copy my important files over to a flash drive, completely wipe the hard drive, and install the OS via disk utility. Using that technique, I'm able to run the latest MacOS on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro without any lag or performance hits.

4. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

I made a new partition and it's installing Mavericks onto it right now.

#33584 Godzilla!, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  5. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

NSW Police on daylight savings
    NSWPolicefacebook97.png

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

If you think that's bad, try using a Core 2 Duo equipped MBP from early 2009. Supports 10.5 Leopard all the way up to 10.11 El Capitan. I remember how snappy it used to be running Snow Leopard. Skipped Lion, I ran Mountain Lion for 30 seconds to install Mavericks. That was the last well running macOS on that laptop. Yosemite was almost unusable, and El Capitan leaves the poor little C2D T9550 pegged. I wanted to try hacking Sierra or High Sierra onto it, but I think I might just downgrade it to Mavericks and call it a day.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

My 2007 Macbook pro also with a c2d was just fine on el capitan. Idled at like no CPU usage at all, could handle chrome forced to CPU render and discord also forced to CPU render while Xcode is open across 2 monitors and debugging an iPhone

8. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

So sick of applications/games with bugs, that are reported, but not fixed for up to half a year or more.

Unity crashes on me twice a day or more, Visual Studio's intellisense breaks randomly, meaning i have to restart VS and wait for it to stop lagging for 5 minutes :|, BeamNG crashes all the time for seemingly no reason (or just sits at "Spawning Player").

These may seem like small annoyances, but when BeamNG has crashed probably 100 times now, Unity has crashed probably 100 times now, and VS has broken even more than that. Well, let's just say I've literally screamed at the top of my lungs at all 3 of these programs before :|
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh and this list wouldn't be complete without Rocket League! They do some crazy stuff when you try and use voice, and usually instead of using voice instantly like most games, the game LAGS AS IT TRIES TO GET ACCESS TO YOUR MIC.

(or completely freezes during a competitive game)
    upload_2017-10-1_12-19-45.png

/RANT

9. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

I'm not saying it is in all scenarios, but are you sure some of them aren't caused by your computer? I don't know alot about Unity or Visual Studio whatever, but when I played it, Rocket League never seemed to crash. BeamNG doesn't crash awhole lot either. Got a driver issue or something?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Visual studio doesnt crash here, beamng doesnt crash here, rocket league doesnt crash here, he also experienced a bug in payday 2 that when i spoke to a dev personally, they hadnt ever heard of occuring, not just a rare bug, one they literally couldnt even force to occur and had never been reported in thousands of crash dumps

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Pressing the voice key in Rocket League will cause a freeze. The worst one was that one I posted, when it happened during a competitive game.

I've had so many stupid crashes from BeamNG.

Select a forest brush
    "DAE NOT FOUND"
    Try to place it regardless
    Dae is NULL so it CTD's

among several others. Including some crash with collision triangle debug :|

ALso VS doesn't crash, it just breaks, a lot. Probably in relation to Unity and the way it handles projects.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also kind of tired of being told every time I run into an issue that it's my computer.

This has happened over multiple pcs , multiple os's, and multiple fresh os installs.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also kind of tired of being told every time I run into an issue that it's my computer.

This has happened over multiple pcs , multiple os's, and multiple fresh os installs.

:| WTF . See, shit like this happens to me constantly. I clicked reply ONCE. and didn't even refresh.
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh also, Midtown Madness 2.

If you stop at a certain spot on a certain sidewalk in a certain city in certain cars the game goes into an infinite loop. Nobody would have ever reported that to the devs. Yet it happened. To me and other people who tried.

12. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

How good is he? I need a scripter.

13. ¿Carbohydration?

¿Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

He is 9 :rolleyes: Probably dont want him.

14. Giraffinator

Giraffinator
    Expand Collapse

What has he been able to script?

15. ¿Carbohydration?

¿Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

He is working on some zombie apocalypse stuff right now.

Annd back OT. please.

16. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

just give me his username, and I will end him a message.

17. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

I'm not saying it is your computer, but I am saying it's a possibility. If other people don't have problems with these crashes, then there's no reason you should have to put up with them either.

As for Midtown Madness 2, it does crash alot. The game's almost older than me, so it's not surprising. It didn't have 64bit OS', multicore CPU's and DDR3-4 RAM in mind. I run it fine on a computer from the time it came out, but it doesn't like Windows 7

18. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Midtown Madness 2 doesn't crash because it's old. It's because Microsoft is a terrible publisher and gave the team about half the development time needed for that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG vanilla has never crashed on me, it only happens when I'm installing GPU drivers and try to play the game (like today).
    Rocket league I don't play much, but has also never crashed on me.
    Unity and VS I don't use often so I don't know how often they crash under more intense work.

20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Are you legitimately asking for the contact details of a random 9 year old, because you want them to do scripting for you?...
    --- Post updated ---
    BeamNG has quite a few bugs in it. However it is very rare for me to ever get the same one twice. I think the last CTD I had was changing the aerodynamic debgug from "off" to "none".

As for VS, I find it to be pretty reliable. Unity is ok, my only two major gripes is that they can't handle accidental infinite loops and how stupid the autosave system is, since it will delete the latest autosave whenever you launch Unity. So if you launch Unity after a crash it will delete your autosave. Meaning you have to copy the autosave to another directory before opening unity to prevent it from being deleted before you can recover it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice