General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Of course they aren't if you're a moderator who is forced to deal with them. But if you are just a spectator...all this immaturity and bashing each other is a real show.

2. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Yeah thats true, by far the most important thing to me is decently accurate simulation for mods. I personally have no issue with models that are ripped or downloaded from model sites (original is always better of course) but as long as there is work put into them to make them suitable for the game and the jbeam is well made its fine by me. Personal attacks on modders for it are too far though and don't really help much.

3. corvette81

corvette81
    Expand Collapse

Personally think people are edgy at the moment cause of the lack of content/game updates of note in the last 12-18 months, and personally think for the most part a new official bus is not what a vast majority of players want so they have been acting out on other forum members cause they feel its the only way to get the attention of the developers.

May be wrong but some more transparency between devs and customers could relieve tensions.

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

That's a good way to get our attention.
    Absolutely not appreciated, and terrible if you intend staying on this forum.

I doubt that's the real reason, and if it is, that would be pretty.. idiotic...

I believe we are quite transparent now (at least that's what we try to) (with margins of improvements still ;) ).
    We have a devblog that gets updated from time to time, a developer section for all our snippets, we reply to user on the forum (if needed/when possible). All of this often done during free time for most of the team, while they are not busy working on the actual game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

I haven't posted much lately because of how various things that happened were dealt with, for example, the recent repo bug caused all kinds of lower quality mods to get into the forefront of the repo and I don't see any chance of rollback to previous download/sub numbers happening which to me personally feels like a huge F U.

It also doesn't help that we haven't seen a new vehicle for a while now.

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Modifying those kind of things (download stats) is kind of ugly.
    It's on our ToDo list, but there are other things that have higher priority atm.

I don't see how the lack of a new vehicle in the last few updates could be an excuse for people to threat each other like crap, to be honest?
    If that's a thing, those people need a break and go outside/do something that they enjoy and relaxes them.

7. corvette81

corvette81
    Expand Collapse

I mean Tdev has been here responding to people because of said drama so it isn't that far fetched.(Also I wasn't talking about myself I wasn't here when it went off)

I mean that says it all right there doesn't it "from time to time" and the last page of blog posts have all been changelogs not devblogs as the name would suggest.

I dunno maybe the only way to change it is to bring in like 10-20 volunteer moderators who can have a watch over the forum and enforce every single rule. People would soon learn that they have to shape up.

8. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

Well I'm happy that at least I got some feedback on this issue (which I'm very thankful for). About the vehicles, I think many people consider new cars to be the best part of any BeamNG update, which in return left the forum in it's current form with all the previously active members moving on for the time being, due to the lack of new cars to play around with.

9. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

I am really, really tired to repeat myself over said issue. Report the content and move on. We will not empower random ppl to do our dirty laundry.

10. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to respond. This is definitely not a fun thing to talk about and I can tell that you guys must be sick of it at this point.

For me, it feels like whenever something big like this happens it seems like it just gets deleted and seems like no public action is taken to discourage this kind of behavior. I'm not an expert, and I understand that there is a lot of things that I don't know about moderating the forums, but to me it seems that deleting the drama and not making a final statement (such as telling people to knock it off and/or addressing the concerns in a manner that leaves both parties happy) is pushing it under the rug.

Please don't take that as an insult though, I have the utmost respect for what the BeamNG team does, and I know that there are many times when a moderator does address the problem, and resolves it well.

I can definitely see why last night went so badly though, the way that things were being said was well past the point of being constructive and I think the user that this was centered on took it personally as an attack on himself.

11. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

One thing. At one point you considered adding "Trusted Members" of some kind.

This is an idea I had. Why don't you make a "Welcome Center" group that all new members are directed too. The group admins are staff and "trusted members". Trusted members only have limited moderation powers in that group. This group would be useful to create a welcoming environment for new users and allow them to ask questions without other members causing flamewars. Not a super polished idea yet, but I'm wondering what you would think.

12. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Still generally speaking (like my previous posts above).

Yes, but it's not appreciated over here and really dumb.
    Causing mess is not a nice way to get someone's attention.
    If you need to get our attention, do it like a normal person.
    It's not hard to reach us out :)

You are true on that.
    Writing a nice devblog takes time (usually done in spare time). Such time is currently lacking for most of us due actual game development.
    That's also why the microblogs/dev snippets, as they can be pretty quick.
    We will try to address that for the near future.

Sure do, new stuff to play with is definitively cool.
    The lack of new vehicles although is still not an excuse for behaviors as seen lately.
    It's not a complicated topic, I believe it should be pretty obvious for anybody who claims to be mature.

Speaking for myself, yes I am.
    It's not hard to behave like normal people, so why not do it?
    The same effort that goes into insulting/harassing another users could be put to better use with something more constructive.

If that's how things are going, we will start to be more heavy-handed on this kind of stuff.
    Of course, it would be much more appreciated if we aren't forced to reach such points (because if that is reached, something is obviously not right)

Thank you.

Pretty much what happened.
    I mean, what are people expecting when they threat another user like crap?
    Words can be pretty hurtful on some people, don't take this lightly.

You can use Private Messages to chat..
    That would be less spammy.

#36392 Nadeox1, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  13. corvette81

corvette81
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I agree but I mean celebrities are the best example I can think of for that, they cause drama to get into the spotlight, however stupid it is they continue to do it.

I hope it does change I didn't mean to come across as rude just frustrating to feel like you don't know where your money has gone sometimes but thanks I feel better knowing that it might be addressed soon.

14. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

Well, being kind is free, so until the world starts taxing it I'll keep on keeping on. ;)
    After all, we are all people here. Just remember that, everyone. It might be easy to be mean, but it is so much more rewarding to spread a little kindness.
    809bc2d408176d193d4664f77262596f--era-stickers.jpg

15. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

I don't really like saying anything when these sorta conversations are going on, but I just wanted to say that I 100% agree with this, and couldn't have said it better myself
    ^^

16. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

This "report and move on" philosophy clearly does not, and will not, work. You can't expect a group of people to all be nice and mature to eachother, and maintain self-control. What you end up with is a site full of obnoxious members and a handful of overworked moderators who are clinging to the hope that people will listen to them. People will always be dicks and there will always be people fuelling the fire. Deleting threads hasn't worked, removing ratings hasn't worked, and just repeatedly telling people to self-police hasn't worked either. If the people running this place want it to change, then clearly a different approach needs to be taken or it never will.

17. mms

mms
    Expand Collapse

I feel like an idiot for coming back, but I decided that I was going to be mature and deal with all of this.

18. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

Agree, also getting rid of the ratting was pretty fucking stupid, I get why they got rid of Disagree, but why did they have to get rid of everything else! All of them were positive.

19. mms

mms
    Expand Collapse

I agree with that. I would also like to add that just giving a rating causes MUCH LESS SPAM.
    --- Post updated ---
    I would like to get the general discussion back to normal stuff. I just want the forums to at least not be fighting.

I have a pet lovebird named chickie.

20. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I think I have an answer for you: Impatience. If I've learned anything, impatience can generate negativity in a person.

Googlefluff made a great point, there is enough evidence to indicate that whole report and move on mindset hasn't worked at all. In all honesty, it's working against you. I'd cite it as one reason why things would get so bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice