General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

So it's Christmas. I am glad to see my family, but a lot of things in my life are going to change very soon.
    I'm going to move to my first apartment in January, starting my first job, basically starting out on my own. I can only hope this means that 2019 is off to a better start than 2018.
    My cat died at the beginning of this year. I was very depressed for a few months. I'm still not sure I'm completely over it, and I'm also sure that's not the worst that could happen.

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Removing a cat will gain you 1-2hp total. Why people fixate over deleting them I don't understand, I'm guessing it's a status thing?

Of course many people gain more than that, but that's only when they replace the exhaust system altogether, usually with something higher flow. At which point it's not the cat that made the difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Wait...if you don't break the law (have the right to kill, your weapon is legal), why would they arrest you or charge you with anything?

5. DankMemeBunny

DankMemeBunny
    Expand Collapse

I got quite alot for christmas
    A new keyboard (gettingg used to it)
    a g29
    A porsche 918 spyder rc car
    new headphones after my old ones broke
    and some cozy pajamas

• Like Like x 1
  6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Because I suspect there is more nuance to the law than they suggest.

Since having the right to shoot and kill anyone who trespasses on your property sounds a bit overzealous. Especially in situations where property isn't clearly marked. Or gardens etc.

From what I can tell, the law seems to be the same in most places. But the way it is written varies a lot. It generally boils down to, act in good faith, and don't be a dick. Follow those rules and you will most likely never run into an issue. And if you do, at least when asked to explain your actions, you can do so in a rational manour. Which in most western countries the law will account for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Merry Christmas guys!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Pretty much. It's an act in good faith sort of thing. Just becasue I can doesn't mean I should or would, assuming I didn't feel as if my life were threatened.

9. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't remove the cats if I didn't think they were clogged up. I'm also sorta curious what it'll do to the exhaust sound.
    You can't shoot someone for just strolling on your property. In Texas, for example, which has the castle law, you can only shoot someone if they're attempting to enter your house, remove you from your house, or cause you harm.
    Also as I understand it, it's a federal felony to remove a catalytic convertor. It's hardly enforced at all, especially in areas without emissions testing. It'd be very hard to enforce if they wanted to as well.

10. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I'm sick again, and what a terrible time for it to happen.

11. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

I got an Acer Nitro 5 for Christmas. Boy was it an upgrade.

12. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

My sister got one of those too, it really needs an SSD upgrade, otherwise, I am very pleasantly surprised by the build quality, they actually seem pretty sturdy.

13. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I have the i5/1050 version of the Nitro 5. It's really made me wonder why people spend so much on a laptop. I fixed the SSD issue with a 32GB Optane drive. It's much more than usable with one.

14. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

My sisters is an I5 with 1050ti and came with Optane. Compared to true SSD performance the laptop still feels sluggish at times. In games its fine, but everything else is slower than it should ideally be. For example, when Windows updates happen the whole things slows to a crawl, with the disk at 100% utilisation, but the CPU's sat there at 20-35% utilisation.

So we'll have to chuck the optane and swap in an M.2 drive, preferably NVMe if the laptop supports it. Then she can have a 128-250gb boot drive that is super fast, with the 1tb hard drive for her steam library. Which would be pretty damn ideal.

I do agree though, they really do shame some expensive laptops. However, metal chassis, digitisers etc are quite nice to have.

15. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, they support NMVe drives. I just can't justify the cost then having to migrate Windows and wondering "why the fuck isn't it just activating when this laptop is hooked to my MS acount please kill me" for the one time I'm trying to get work done and Windows decides to update.

16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I've not had any issues with that. I migrated my desktop from an HDD to an SSD and it was fine with it. The only things that haven't been altered is the CPU, Motherboard and CD Drive (PSU and case too, but Windows doesn't know. The GPU has been upgraded, additional RAM has been added, its gained two ssd's and an extra HDD, a soundcard, a USB PCIe card. Its even had a firewire card in there at one point. And this is all on a Win7 OEM licence key (of the £90 variety).

As far as I know on all modern OEM devices the Windows key is stored on the motherboard. You can format all the storage drives and install Linux, then wipe it again and it should automagically detect your key from the motherboard automatically.

17. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Screenshot_20181226-221401__01.jpg
    McAfee, the AV solution that they can't even give away xD
    Bundling it with other software only devalues the bundle lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

General Discussion is unlocked? Am I dreaming? o_O

19. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

It's been unlocked for days.

Also, you aren't dreaming.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wild Hog

Wild Hog
    Expand Collapse

I still wonder why it was locked in the first place but eh, admins overreacting I guess [Insert Meh-ASCII here]

listening to some Al Stewart records right now because he's so great

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice