General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Reddit climate hysteria is almost as bad as climate denialism. Accept scientific consensus but don't think the world is literally going to end in 10-20 years? Think that something, anything can (and obviously should) be done to avert the crisis? "sHUT UP CLIMATE DENIER!!!!!"

The only reason it's not as bad as climate denialism is because it isn't founded (quite as much) in bullshit conspiracy theories and anti-science nuttery. But really, do they think they're changing anyone's mind like this?

#37241 vmlinuz, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

To be honest, they actually manage to do good things sometimes (accidentally), like highlighting animal abuse in Walmart (seriously, who the fuck thought selling pets in malls is a good idea?), but they are a drop in an ocean of cancerous and straightforward harmful deeds & thoughts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. -WhistlerXPWhistler7

-WhistlerXPWhistler7
    Expand Collapse

Speaking of reddit, the Thinkpad subreddit has these people that hunt down posts with Thinkpads with windows installed, and they come running out yelling D e b i an! A r c h! U b u n t u! F e d o r a!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Wired routers are badass. I recently installed a personal VPN capable TP-Link Enterprise gigabit wired router into a TP-Link Enterprise 8-port gigabit switch, then turned my TP-Link Archer C5400 into a completely overkill wireless access point.

Time to Pi-Hole this network and get my dual CPU server up and running.

5. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Waiting patiently for Auto World 2019 Release 2 to come out. I thought it would come out this month but likely it will be in July.
    1390_3bd96a1bca0a19e9d0ec51c5a6150340.jpg
    I love the Buick Estate wagon casting.

Hopefully I might be getting part time work helping my dad with his contract work so I can pay for that Transmission oil cooler for my E46.

6. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Surprising how much the Suzuki Swift changed over the years...

I'm going to retro-mod the current gen in photoshop and see if I can something alike to the older gens.

7. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes wonder if drug use during my adolescence had any lasting effects on my brain.

8. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. -WhistlerXPWhistler7

-WhistlerXPWhistler7
    Expand Collapse

Ironic

10. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

235.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

And that's what I've been saying. People turn to the car as the most evil thing there is, when manufacturing and shipping are easily the WORST things for the environment.

This is why environmentalists are dumber than a bag of hammers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Not all environmentalists think like this, most of the bad ones are on Reddit.

The biggest concerns are cruise lines, aviation, shipping, manufacturing, the power industry, agriculture.

14. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

The problem is they target the car because it has a lower cost of entry.

What I mean is it inconveniences them in the least possible way, ignoring the awful side effects of nickel and lithium mining (acid rain, contaminated water, horrid working conditions, etc.). Interrupting real causes of pollution cause massive inconvenience to those who're only worried there aren't enough bicycle lanes.

The even larger problem is if you attempt to use logic with these people, they completely discount it because it differs from their own, much poorer delusion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

If you harass ordinary citizens and ban them from using their cars, you're good. If you harass shipping tycoons and ban them from using their ships and planes, your political career may end even before the next elections.

16. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

You don't even have to ban ships or planes, just shift some corn and soy away from animal feed and towards biofuel and you're good!

"bUt MuH fOoD pRiCeS"

How about this: eat less meat. Those crops weren't even designated for human consumption to begin with. Most of their energy content would have ended up as cow shit and methane, which is about 85 times worse than CO2. Speaking of which, there's plenty of methane in cow exhaust, but none in car exhaust. Maybe cows should be the ones with catalytic converters up their asses?

On the other hand, I'm all for the expansion of electric car infrastructure and production, mainly for performance reasons. They're about the same as gasoline from 0-60, but from 60-120, they really kick gas' ass. Once more performance cars go electric, gasoline engines will die off due to market forces - they just won't be competitive anymore.

#37256 vmlinuz, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  17. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Mum said it's my turn to play BeamNG.
    dd1.jpg

Sorry about that.

#37257 ktheminecraftfan, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Wait... so if cows produce methane...

Shouldn't we eat more meat?

Wait, I have the answer: A new plague.

19. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

No. Bundling nuclear energy with anything that moves is a disaster waiting to happen. If a nuclear cruise ship goes through a nuclear meltdown at port, that port city is going to become a modern Pripyat. If it sinks and melts down at the bottom, the environment is screwed.

It would probably be better to go electric.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

...but that's what a nuclear submarine is? It's literally a little reactor that powers some electric motors for propulsion. There have been 14 accidents, all ranging from 1960 to 1989, so it's been 30 years since one has had problems.

That was, arguably, within the first generation of subs as well. These machines technically have an unlimited range as they are never refueled and have a life span of 25 years. A nuclear cruise liner/cargo ship would spend 25 years circling the globe spewing out water vapor as a part of power generation, then after 25 years be either decommissioned or refueled. Sure, you need to figure out what to do with all the uranium, but only a small amount is needed for a ship, and we already have the technology for disposing of said waste.

If not that, do tell me how you expect to power a fully electric cruise liner. Solar? Charge it up at port and just hope and pray? Diesel-electric (which they already use)? Somehow harness wind?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice