General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

Growth on the South Shore is pretty recent. Boston also changed quite a bit. Boston in the 1970s (particularly the Seaport district) is barely recognizable.

This is between 2009 and 2016:
    92755662-48DC-49AC-B498-F1B7B2BC6FB7.jpeg

2. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

The issue with biofuels is that even at 8L/100 km and 10kkm a year, you need at least 4.5 hectares (corn) to fuel your car at one harvest/year. That's enough caloric intake for over 40 people.

3. Mullethead

Mullethead
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that was Davol Cove in modern day Fall River here.

This one also drastically changed over time (I know this intersection, it's not too far from Davol Street/Cove actually).

4. HotWheelsCollector24™

HotWheelsCollector24™
    Expand Collapse

When you poorly design an Automation car and you didn't pay attention to what engine you put inside it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Some of that can be solved by government incentives to plant more corn. Corn is a shockingly poor source of food anyway; it's much like rice in that regard.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also

Tomorrow™

6. Mullethead

Mullethead
    Expand Collapse

Today's my birthday.

Yay.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

happ birthday!

8. XManic1995

XManic1995
    Expand Collapse

Very growth now Broughton Rd, Milton Keynes.
    2009 and 2017
    2.png 1.png
    2015 and 2018
    3.png 4.png

9. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...oyers_of_reddit_what_are_your_crazy_employee/

How is it that these people could all get a job, yet I've been trying to get one for 3 years now?

Every time I get an interview, I'm told that I would be a good fit but either
    A) that company refuses to hire people who haven't had a similar job before
    Or B) They will not hire me unless I know my schedule 2 semesters in advance (even businesses founded by alumns of my school. Have they forgotten how signing up for classes works already?)

It's really annoying at this point. All but 1 of my friends from my university are in the same situation though. Somehow my friends from other universities don't have this problem at all. I got a job with a self employed family member which pays very well thanks to the large ammount of overtime and travel pay, but I would like a real job nonetheless. I'll be a junior this coming semester, which is when companies around here start accepting students for internships. Seeing as that company run by an alumn doesn't know how signing up for classes works, I'm not thinking these internships will go well...

• Like Like x 1
  10. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

After months of saving and waiting...

E0463BDB-87C3-4676-8169-C56241458A97.jpeg

My new (to me) 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8.

• Like Like x 6
  11. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

You’ve got your own personal collection at this point. New daily?

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Project. Assuming they can find the title, that is.

13. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

When my dad was a teen (late 1970's) he had a 1969 Mustang Mach 1. The one time in his life that his mom cleaned the house she threw out all the paperwork for it.
    --- Post updated --- (unrelated post made an hour later, I wish this wouldn't consolidate...)
    I was going to put this on the food/cooking megathread, but being that it's not something I cooked myself I'm not sure if it would be appreciated, and since it is in a way an official thread...

I've been eating out less lately since I like my own cooking more than most profesional cooks (see Food & Cooking Megathread, Food & Cooking Megathread. Each is linked to a seperate post. On a mobile device so I'm not going to try and link this in a better looking way). I'm on a long business trip in Florida and decided to risk ordering an Eggs Benedict. I knew it was a bad idea but it's a breakfast place in a nice tourist location so I thought maybe it would be edible.

That was a bad idea. Raw english muffin, boiled ham, the hollandaise sauce had a funky smell and awful texture. I regret decisions.

On another note, I haven't played my Viola since highschool, but I just saw a video of a lady who plays metal on a Violin using guitar effects pedals and now I feel the need to buy a pickup for my Viola and have some fun with a fuzz pedal.

#37293 ManfredE3, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

It gets 11 MPG

01745D10-D41E-4BDD-AB2C-8E59A3D0C543.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  15. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Biofuels still cause pollution when combustion occurs. Therefore they are not a solution to climate change. Its just yet another source of pollutants to add to the atmosphere.

Equally, you make it sound like 100% of the burden is being placed on individuals. That isn't true. However, I agree that I would like to see greater commitments from many large industries.

New products never live or die on whether they are good for the environment or not. Like all products, their success boils down to some combination of how they make you feel, and economics depending on the person they are being sold to.
    Fitting solar panels to your home can be a really solid choice financially. If you live in a disaster area, or suffer power outages, they also can have huge quality of life benefits.
    EVs are in many cases cheaper and more convenient to own than an Ice vehicle. People will tell you they are buying them for the environment, and that may be part of their decision, but if the car didn't make sense for them, they wouldn't own it. If you have afformentioned solar panels, you got yourself quite a nice combo.

Accross Europe, electric vessels are becoming more common. Typically in shorter ferry routes. Sure, it is greener. But the real reason companies are doing it is because it makes good financial buisness sense. Since it improves the journey for customers (less noise and vibrations), is reliable and predictable to run, and eliminates hassle from their supply chain (no more fuel deliveries).

Its also why those truly awful organic cotton "bags for life" have taken off. They are genuinely awful for the environment, but supermarkets love them, since they can now sell bags rather than giving them away. It was like a gold rush to sell people the most expensive bags possible just as it became illegal for them to give free single use bags.

As you have said, cars aren't the only problem, but that doesn't mean they should be ignored.

And when it comes to the environment, people won't do it unless it brings other short term benefits to their life.

And if you were to speak to someone who is genuinely a 'proper' environmentalist, you would find they take as much issue with how people are choosing to live their lives as you do. With the difference being that they are actually doing something about it, as opposed to stating that everyone except themselves should face any burden.

However, I personally don't wish to see everyone forced to switch to EV's. Since if only 10% of cars are ICE, then it isn't such a big deal really.

#37296 aljowen, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Yup, 5.2L/44RE. It's a Quadra-Trac truck, which I can actually dig a little. Problem is I think a solenoid or a sensor is faulty, it won't send power to the front wheels. Runs damn good, needs an idle air control valve; it'll hunt for an idle. 176,000 miles.

It's fully loaded. Has power everything, heated mirrors, the computer controlled command center thing is really awesome.

I bought it from @Funky7Monkey for $500. I think I got a good deal.

18. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I have a fully loaded 2005 with the 4.7L, got it for $2k. 210k miles on it. it has more features than most of the new cars my friends have. Sliding it around in the snow is a lot of fun; the last owner had it on the beach, hopefully I'll get permits to do that myself soon. Only got 7mpg when I got it last August, got it up to 12 now but the air filter on it is really bad. I'm trying to find an exact replacement for the airfilter, but the last owner seems to have gotten some sort of mopar performance air filter that was discontined or something because none of the local places can pull it up in their computer.

Anyway, the unrelated reason I came to this thread... As a summer job I've been working for a construction/building maintnance sub-contractor, small family owned business. Corperate offices for the stores we work in want us there when the stores close, but we can't start until the employees leave. Last week we had a couple of jobs where that took 1.5 hours, as I write this I'm 2 hours into waiting for these guys to leave and there's no sign of them getting ready to, so I'm just twiddling my thumbs unable to start working, which means I'll be here until a weird hour of the night because of how unnecessarily late I'm starting.

And no, I don't get paid by the hour. Same pay for me if I'm forced to sit around all night or not.
    --- Post updated ---
    Just a comment on the bags: In my state, all bags are legally required to be sold. So, yeah... No free plastic bags at the supermarket. It's led to a lot of fallen fruit in the parkinglots as no one wants to pay for bags. Whenever I'm out of state I stock up since they make great trash bags for little trash cans.

#37298 ManfredE3, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  19. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

bad post

#37299 vmlinuz, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

My parents have always used them as bin bags for the kitchen bin.

When I used to live on my own I used a rucksack, since there was a large supermarket within a 5min walk from where I lived. With the rucksack I could load all my shopping in at the self service till, and then carry it all back home without having any bags digging into my hands etc. That was really convenient. I would usually carry one of the thicker reusable plastic bags too, just in case I didn't have enough space for everything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice