General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse

Uhh C62C6D0B-14F5-4D99-837F-569018B50BA2.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  3. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

It's a culture thing, not a legislative thing. No amount of forum rules could ever change that; those of us who care just need to make a conscious effort to be welcoming and understanding and hope that the general forum attitude follows.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. MrJavelin

MrJavelin
    Expand Collapse

Dummiesman's FS-65 mod: (exists)
    Dansworth C1500:

• Like Like x 4
  5. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

So, I've had a thought.

Boston Dynamics' Spot is on preorder; give it another 10 years and they may be affordable.

Battle Bots is a thing again.

So, in 10 years are we going to see Boston Dynamics-esqe Battle Bots?

6. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I feel this is a good metaphor for us veteran forum users when a stranger joins

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BrynCoops

BrynCoops
    Expand Collapse

I don't post all that often, but...
    I really like making content for Beam, mostly skins - no, only skins (I've started maps, but they've never gone anywhere)

Would taking commissions for skins for BeamNG be a decent idea? Would people pay for that, or is that too much?
    I'm fairly confident in my abilities but I've not a lot to show for it, and it can take me a while to finish things sometimes.
    People pay for unfinished mods right? So why not a couple of completely finished skins of a similar, or perhaps better, quality?

And I'm not suggesting charging over the odds for something fairly simple, but just a mere pound maybe. Or a tenner for a pack.
    Fairly low prices for personalised skins that would otherwise not be made.

I might regret posting this later, but as of now it seems like a fair post to make (and somebody else's input / opinion would be nice)

8. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

As in people pay you to make a personalized skin for them?

I'm not sure how many people other than other content creators (basically just Youtubers) would desire that. They are generally the only ones paying for certain types of mods, though they are the target audience of that small set so take that as you will.

As we see with every paid DLC discussion and the Raven mod, there's a very strong and vocal group who hates the idea of paying for anything, but it seems that most people realize that financial transactions are a thing in the real world.

It certainly wouldn't be much of a source of income, but no harm in a couple of comission pieces here and there I guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I think I've been stewing on this for long enough...

I'd like to promote the idea that paid mods aren't bad. My reasoning is:

1. It promotes quality. By making mods more impactful, it encourages people to pick quality mods that they think are valuable.
    2. It's a massive boost for mod creators. For as little as a dollar per download, I could have over 200k to my name, and people like @FLyInG 2 YoUr SoUL could have almost a frickin million. By creating popular mods, you could boost your financial income greatly.
    3. I don't mean to imply that all mods are necessary to pay for, as i, and many others are perfectly willing to donate time to modding for the fun of it.

And finally, I'd like to say that if you left a one-star review on @aljowen 's raven r20 because he locked literally 2 configs and a widebody behind a cheap paywall, that if less than £2 for a few months work is a big deal, you are gonna suffer when you have to pay real bills, because living ain't cheap.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Within reason I don't have a problem with them existing. However, considering a healthy chunk of the game's audience seems to think that software engineers/game devs work for free with zero overhead, I doubt we could get to the point where the community as a whole accepts it in the forseeable future. Which is an important prerequisite...

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrJavelin

MrJavelin
    Expand Collapse

I'm with you on this one. Making mods ain't easy, and it's convenient that mods like the almost dev-quality Satsuma 210 are free. I'm in another game community, and there are loads of paid assets in it. All the same, it would suck if almost all downloadable assets here were locked behind a paywall. It would drive members away. Still, doesn't detract from the fact that modders spend a lot of time making their mods.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

i cant mod but if someone can send me like 50 bucks so i can buy weed?
    its fucking over for the modding community.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Let's at least have the common curiosity be kind about the Raven R20 paywall stuff so the devs don't lock this thread =P

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Agreed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. austen64

austen64
    Expand Collapse

#38195 austen64, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
  16. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Just agreed to his post, you can check.
    Anyways, I am in the mood for a rant, you?
    I hate electric cars, I don't care what you say about hurr durr they betur 4 deh enviroment hurrr durr. I just love putting my foot down with excitement and noise when I drive my RSX. But in an EV you don't get that feeling, you put your foot down and... you get disappointment, you get speed until you reach it's awful top speed, I just hate them you know. But it's you life, your choice I guess.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Some EVs can be bad in a funny way like the geoff from Top Gear. The geoff (also known as the Hammerhead Eagle) had a top speed of 10 mph before James, Jeremy, and Richard changed it to the Hammerhead Eagle.

18. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Hey @appesh1, thanks for following me. I hope you have a great day/night =D

19. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Lol so true!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Thanks =D
    Exactly, I loved it when James, Jeremy, and Richard tested out the geoff on Top Gear.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice