General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

I'll respond to 2 first. Yeah, I 100% agree with you. I do like talking to you, but I should cut down on the tagging stuff. If I wanna talk to you. Do you know what would be the best way to do so?

As for 1. I think higher ed is really important if you wanna go into engineering, law, medicine, teaching, etc. However, I have a problem with it. No, it's not the prices of it (in the US). It's really the fear mongering stuff like "Oh, you need it for a good job" and people pressuring you to go. The pressure to go to uni might be acceptable if you want to go into engineering, medicine, law, teaching, or other careers that require uni. However, I don't think my passion requires uni. I think experience matters more then a degree. Look, maybe there are countries where you need university for a good job. I'm not sure what you think of the statements about how you "need uni for good job". Do you think people need uni for a good job or no?

EDIT: I meant that I think experience counts more then a degree for my "passion".

#41121 95Crash, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  2. davidinark

davidinark
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to be late to the party, but I thought it might be fun to chime in, since I have a little bit of background knowledge on davidinark.

I am an old guy (assuming 51 is "old") who plays video games. What's the deal? That's a good question. The answer is simple and not that complex, I'm afraid: I enjoy playing games. I grew up when video games weren't even a thing yet, so I have seen the evolution (and, frankly devolution) of videogaming dating back before Pong (you may have to Google that one, if you're not familiar). I've always enjoyed playing a variety of games, but especially games that make you think, push the limits, and try new and crazy things. BeamNG offers that. As for why this old man then records himself and puts it out there for the world? Well, it started as a dare. What I didn't expect was that I would enjoy it. I have a radio background and have been editing video as an amateur longer than the quality of my videos shows. More than that, though, I have fun interacting with the community - though lately with work and the general craziness going on, I am far behind in that regard.

Anyway, I digress. Often. My deal is this: I'm having fun. I also wanted to create a family-friendly space for folks to watch videos. When I started, YouTube was much freer with cursing etc, so I was a bit of an anomaly. Many of the YTers that are popular now started off swearing every other word. That's fine for them and their channel. heck, I subbed to most of them. I just didn't want it on mine. So, there's that. I don't just do BeamNG - I do a variety of things (for which I am often berated because I have "too much variety" on my channel) : GTA Family Friendly, Geoguessr, Puzzle games, Wreckfest, and/or whatever random thing pops in my head or shows up in my suggestion box.

As for the "grandpa style," I've never been much for yelling and screaming and laughing like a crazy person. I am in life who I am online and vice versa. There's no fake persona or "online character" I play. I'm just me. I'm old enough to welcome anyone that likes it and old enough to be perfectly fine with folks put off by it. For me, it's a hobby. Some old guys like to golf or fish or work on a car under a shade tree. I like to play games, record them and share my experiences with anyone that wants to watch.

So, there ya go. That's "the deal" with davidinark.

Thank you very much to the folks here who spoke up on my behalf. That means a lot to me. And, if you are now curious about this old man playing games, drop by the channel (just google davidinark) and hang out awhile. Grab a beverage and a snack on your way in.

• Like Like x 9
  3. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

EDIT: Fixed an error.
    Well, thank you for the information about you, man. Tbh, I actually don't mind swearing. It's fine if you don't wanna put swearing on your channel. It's your channel, you can be family friendly and do it as a hobby. I actually would like to be funny, I'm not sure I would scream or yell very loud. However, I might put "online characters". Tbh, I'm not really interested in gaming videos anymore. Unfortunately, I might to censor language on my videos because we all know how much YouTube hates cursing. On another note, there's a YouTuber called Todd In The Shadows who uses Patreon. He's one of them "music reviewers". There's other YouTubers who use Patreon, too. Relying solely on YouTube for money is extremely risky. I would like to use Patreon when/if I make videos.

I have a question for you, would you recommend someone use YouTube alone as a source of income? If you wouldn't. I don't blame you, I wouldn't either. Btw, I don't have a channel yet.

#41123 95Crash, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  4. michael_zowski

michael_zowski
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Sorry if that came off rude, I really didn't mean anything.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

@appesh1, Are you interested in me making up pretend talking points about Psych2Go that you can respond to? If you aren't, that's fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Which one is your favorite (or if you don't necessarily like any, which is the most tolerable)?

My favorites: Flush, Dropped (not all the way to the ground though), and Hellaflush (just not too much camber)
    oh and stock i guess

Tolerables: Mexiflush (not something I'd do but I see why people like it), Slammed (I've seen decent stance bulids but also some bad ones),

No-nos: Hellafail (looks awful on anything, but I can enjoy it ironically) and Whatthefuck?! (That's not the actual name of that style but this is so bad I can't even try to ironically like it)

• Like Like x 1
  7. davidinark

davidinark
    Expand Collapse

Oh, not at all! I took it in the same tone as old Jerry Seinfeld routines. “What’s the deal with airline food?” Hahha! It’s all good.
    --- Post updated ---
    I definitely would not recommend doing youtube as a lone source of income. Even “professional” youtubers rely on outside income: merch, endorsements, affiliate marketing, etc. Now, back before 2016, you could make a killing in YT ad revenue.

• Like Like x 3
  8. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Very good point, man. Even I wanna use Patreon. You could easily get demonetized for things like swearing. By the way, my pfp is from bob.blunderton's wonderful map known as Roane County.
    That's fine. I have a question for you. How would you feel if Psych2Go got shut down by the US Senate and Congress?

• Like Like x 1
  9. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure you would be sad and I don't blame you. Tbh, Psych2Go does have some informative videos. However, they haven't helped me with my mental health. I'm glad they've helped with yours, though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wheel Nut

Wheel Nut
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for sharing. I'm a bit younger than you but older than the average on these forums I'm sure. I started playing games on an Amstrad in the 80s, started making videos in the 90s, and have been doing it on and off since then. Like you, I do it because it's fun

• Like Like x 2
  11. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Actually @appesh1, they might actually help me with my mental health. I'm not sure what to say about that, tbh. Anyways, goodnight everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

As much as I hate to say it:

The development screens thread has significantly changed for the better after that ban. It seemed like an argument started everyday there and it was 'cause of either him or someone reacting to something he did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Okay, did Dean Wang get unbanned or what?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. michael_zowski

michael_zowski
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

bruh the frickin sunburst needs a convertible version amirite

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Okay then, I guess he did. OT: I'm thinking about ranting on Phil when/if I get a channel. @CaffeinatedPixels is obviously tired of me ranting on him on here and that's fine. However, I don't see Improvement Pill as "self-improvement". I see him as a fraud and a person who wants to be in power and tell others what to do. Look, it's fine if you guys like him. However, I don't. Look, he may have some good advice and information, but I think he doesn't want freedom of choice at all whatsoever. I don't know him in real life so he could be a nice person.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. michael_zowski

michael_zowski
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

17. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. michael_zowski

michael_zowski
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

fso polonez i told you that

19. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah

20. michael_zowski

michael_zowski
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

@Phym look up at the envelope now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice