General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Re: General discussion chat

yeah, it's quite annoying not being able to find the vehicles you like on craigslist, i can find full size suv's easily at local dealerships, but i can't afford dealership prices (i have a max budget of about $2700, which probably also contributes to the hardness of finding full size suv's, however, i have looked at craigslist without my max price set, and it doesn't really help all that much)

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Great grandfather on dads side of the family passed away this afternoon aged 105

Great grandfather on mums side of the family passed away last monday too

3. Nish01

Nish01
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for your loss bud. I don't have much in terms of grand parents. Just one grandma' and grandpa' on my dads side. Which makes me feel like shit because i haven't went to visit them in a long time. :( and My moms parents passed away a few years ago.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

He wanted to go. The last thing he said to me (a few months ago) was "i've had my time on this earth". He has walked this earth for 105 years and been reduced to being wheeled from room to room by nurses, spoon fed, sponged down to clean etc. He told my dad a few weeks ago that he wants to die. So although its sad he's gone, its what he wanted.

On my mums side, I have no childhood memories of him at all, met him like 5 times?

5. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

here's a rant for you guys because i know you love it when i make a long winded post:

that is probably the stupidest thing i have ever read in my life. what other moddable game has a community with this sort of mentality? how is a moddable game supposed to succeed when the only members with the experience to make the mods refuse to release them?

beamng is a very unique game in that making a mod is HARD AS SHIT. this has bred some sort of elitist inner circle of rigs of rods players who are the only ones capable of putting out content and for some reason choose to not release most of it.

what harm does it do to you if your mod gets re-posted on another website? are you making money from them? why does your mod have to "get somewhere" on this forum to be releasable?

i've already lost hope in the modding community and community as a whole. the gabester vehicles and hutch maps are the only ones worthwhile. i've used plenty of your mods, sam, and as someone who plays beamng because of the FUTURE potential of MAYBE having a decent sim racing community, i can confidently say that i use practically none of your mods past the first few minutes of novelty. i'm really happy for you that you can pump out airplanes and helicopters and the community just eats it up, but those mods are the kind of thing that attracts the kids instead of real drivers. i'm not trying to bash you as a community member; i definitely use at least a few mods that you have helped with (and that's probably the most important thing of all for this game - teaching non-RoR players to mod), but most of your self-published mods put emphasis on everything EXCEPT for the actual driving/racing in beamng. it's ridiculous.

once the devs are done with the race update, hopefully updates will be more consistent and we can actually get some real content. at least the devs seem to have recognized that their friction model is completely out of whack and maybe, JUST MAYBE, the game will start to attract people who play the game for the driving instead of the crashing. it doesn't help that only real advertising this game has right now is youtubers posting mind-numbingly boring and stupid gameplay commentary videos when they're probably not even old enough to drive a car. those videos only draw in more kids who aren't playing this game for the driving.

look at any other racing game. the community attracts older individuals who have some sort of passion for cars/driving and the community revolves around driving/racing/laptimes/competition.

look at this game, what does the community primarily focus on? what sort of youtube videos are put up? what sort of image does the game have? i've been keeping my eye out for a long time: there are only TWO PEOPLE who I have personally seen to put out any decent video footage of beamNG racing that could pass as competitive, and one of those people is now only playing forza. we're literally JUST NOW starting to see a few lua mods that record laptimes where people are actively trying to go fast thanks to mike22. are you kidding me?

tl;dr

hey guys my name is drowsysam, i'm real sick of this community that is full of children. hey have you tried my new krabby patty car mod? haha it's so funny and cool! i wonder why this game doesn't have any mature community members???

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

hey guys my name is deject3d, ive never contributed to beamng, but dont mind me while i tell experienced modders how to make their mods and what to make because of my personal choice.

7. daniel_j

daniel_j
    Expand Collapse

Childish bullshit, really fudge this community :|
    i'm over reading this entire forum.

8. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Lets make this thread Happy or at least not fighting over childish bullshit.
    Here is a crash I had in Rigs Of Rods.

Attached Files:

• 427903_420990944633209_1801988978_n.jpg
  9. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Yeah jeez in Cali all you find are used Ferrari's and Lamborghini's and hovercrafts and shit. Or is this Dubai we are talking about?

And Six, I am sorry for your loss, even if he wanted to go.

10. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

This game is hard to mod for or create content for, it is a very steep learning curve, to model a full car is one thing, but to build a low ploy version of it in coding complete with support beams and such, is a whole new level, an expert may lose touch with how steep the learning curve is and get mad when no mods or decent content is put out... Look out here's an analogy: When you climb to the top of Mount Everest you forget how much trouble it was getting to the top, you look down and say: why isn't anyone else up here! You decide not to throw a rope down to help others get up to the top ( tutorials and video tutorials of how to create jbeams etc.) you decide "let them read the wiki, let them learn on there own, I will not teach, I will not create tutorials, let them learn on there own" Ok that's your choice to not help others in that way. But don't upset when the mods come slowly, people learn faster with tutorial and video tutorials, not just some written technical wiki.

Fact: Maya is a powerful 3D software

False: Maya only has a written wiki...

Fact: Maya has dozens of tutorials built in that teaches you as if you are a child

Fact: because of this Maya is easy to use and even children create fantastic 3D scenes...

Can BeamNG follow a similar model? I think if it did we wouldn't be crying about a community that has very few mods,

What I am saying is the wiki is good but let's take the example of a "multi-million dollar" company (Maya) - and create more video tutorials..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#110 ThreeDTech21, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  11. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Want to know why we don't have a ton of video tutorials to walk everyone through content creation as if they were a child? Because we are not a multi-million dollar company like Autodesk. There are 4 of us. We are focusing on making the engine and game. When the game is farther along, maybe we can devote some resources to documentation and tutorials. If we did so right now, it would just delay development.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Sorry I don't mean like that. I know the devs have there hands full (edited my post), I mean within the forum community, there are many here that are expert but dont put out much tutorials, I put out what I can even though i know little.

But the experts complain that there are unfinished mods and such, why not teach them?

13. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

It's a bit more complex than you think, many of us just don't have the time to make day long tutorials, it's not like you can explain it in a simple video.

I've wanted to do tutorials, but the effort required to do that is too much, and the fact that uploading a video longer than 3 minutes will take 5 hours, it's too much hassle.

People can learn if they want to, if I could learn I don't see why anyone else can't. I never modded RoR so I didn't have previous experience, I never looked at the BeamNG wiki and I still haven't, you don't need to if you spend time actually looking at how things work, but people take a first glace at a Jbeam file, say wow screw this, then demand there's no tutorials.

There's a Wiki there that explains every aspect of Jbeam, what more do you want?

#113 DrowsySam, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  14. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

When I opened a jbeam for the first time, my language was waaaaaay more obscene than "wow screw this".

15. destroyer8769

destroyer8769
    Expand Collapse

With my new mod (terrible I know), I learnt how to edit dae and use 3ds, I learnt how to edit/remove jbeam with the help of the rtve, but with things that I have been having trouble with, I would like help, now for me, this doesn't have to be a long video, just a couple of sentences explaining it is all I need. I do understand that most people however, find modding to be daunting (modeling, jbeaming, texturing) and just want to be shown how to do it. But I also understand that moderns have little time. Basically what I'm saying is that non-moderns should have a go, but the more experienced members should be there to give a helping hand if needed.

just my 2¢

16. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Well people can't say I don't contribute.. I've helped with so many projects I have lost count, whenever people ask me I give a helping hand, but lately I've lost a bit of motivation, so not so much anymore.

Still, I did help everyone that asked, I even n/b'd a few things people asked me to, like the Honda quad bike, D-Bird 3 wheeler, etc. So when people make out us modders don't do enough, it isn't true..

Anyways, glad you are learning, keep at it. :)

17. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Thats true, my first tutorial took literally all day, about 10 hours give or take and the tutorial was only about two pages long..

A video tutorial however is much faster, you basically retrace your steps but explain everything in detail, I hope to put out more soon. my first ever video tutorial took about 30min tops from editing to publishing, the video is about 6min so its not too time consuming. I hope to put out a video tutorial on how to make video tutorials!

18. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Depends which tutorials you want really, people are demanding tutorials on how to make cars and stuff, which would take more than a day. Hence why no one has done it.

And you need to remember, your tutorials aren't anything to do with JBeam?(As far as I know) It's a whole other world trust me..

19. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

A huge issue I have when you make a tutorial, everyone decides it's a good idea to message you for help.

20. destroyer8769

destroyer8769
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, and yes, I do know that you are one of the most helpful modders in the community, just saying this to the ones that know how, just don't bother to help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice