General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Re: General discussion chat

This is like an argument thread.
    Let's talk more mature and not fight pls.

2. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

General discussion chat

I wouldn't want to make a tutorial about modeling car because it could take up to a month to have a complete series from start to finish and there are tons of good tutorial on youtube, I used them to learn, I'll link a few of them here. And the mountain of questions that come with each tutorial is a full time job.

I don't know much about jbeam yet but I'm thinking of making a tutorial based on the wiki. Sort of an information video more then a tutorial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#122 ThreeDTech21, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  3. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

ferraris and lambos and hovercrafts? what craigslist have you been looking at, as i see none of those

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Make that more than a month, probably 3 months...
    See it like this:
    Even if I spend litterally 100% of my time to make a car, completely ignoring school, internship, and any other things I need to do in the house...
    Then it would still take me over a month to make the car
    If I want to make a tutorial of making a car from start to finish, it would definitely take me twice as long to do anything, because I'd have to explain as I go. And you can't really skip stuff either, because if you do, you WILL get 1000000 messages daily of someone getting stuck on something very specific.... "How did you do the window rubbers" "I know you showed how to do a paint shader, but how would I do the chrome?"...
    Then, if you don't reply, you get th same thing the other guys are saying... "why don't they explain anything to us!". If I do reply, I spend more time replying to messages than I would have if I had explained it in the tutorial in the first place, because I'll have to explain things 3 times to different people...

And I'm sorry, but I honestly don't have 3 months of free time with no work laying around, and if I did, I probably wouldn't spend all of it making a mod for BeamNG, cause I like to do other things as well :/
    I did attempt to write a tire tutorial on the wiki once, but since I STILL have no clue what I'm doing when I'm tuning tires, there's not much point... Same with suspension. I can replicate real car suspension, but I always need Dkutch's help to get the camber/toe right. Litterally putting an 0.99 or 1.01 vs 1.00 pre-compression on a suspension beam can make the difference between a car that starts oversteering in every single corner, and a car that handles like a dream. That's exactly what happened on my Chaser at some point in development. Suddenly it drove great, after weeks of messing, that 0.01 made the difference. There is NO way to write a tutorial on how to get a car driving right in BeamNG. Best you can say is "replicate the real thing, then fiddle with stuff to make it do things". For me, suspension and tires was always trial and error in BeamNG. Just trying random things and watching it all being a big, big fail, then suddenly succeeding, or watching someone else fix it for me...

5. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Well said, next time someone ask about a car tutorial I'll try to post a lot of links to tutorials on youtube. I learned from some youtube videos so I'll post those, as for jbeam it would probably be simpler to explain how it works and how to create one then making a full car in a 3D program but I could be wrong.

6. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Yes, you're quite wrong IMO.

Modelling = Quite straight forward
    Jbeam = A headache, even if you're pro, you'll still encounter problems, every single time.

7. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

I will make a video explaining the nodes and beams but that's the extent of my knowledge of it. I created one and it fell flat because it had no support beams, so I'm no expert but I'll share what I know and hopefully someone can fill in the gaps :)

8. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Nadeox has already done it Tutorial-Creating-your-own-vehicle

That's only scratching 0.1% though, people want an in-depth tutorial, which isn't really possible without a great understanding of Jbeam, and I don't mean that as in a few weeks of messing with it ^^

I really think the majority of this forum under estimates how tricky it can be..

9. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

General discussion chat

That is a good tutorial, I hope to turn it into a video tutorial. It would be an excellent idea to have a "tutorials" thread only for how to articles or videos, I think that would help a lot, in the mean time I'll create a thread that compiles all the tutorials in this forum into one thread and I'll update it when new ones are made. We must teach the people! :)

10. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

That explains why I give up every single time I try.

Try to create something > Encounter problem > Try to solve > Create more problems > Cry :(

11. mrniz666

mrniz666
    Expand Collapse

'tis the reason I gave up...

(Until the summer when my exams are over anyway)

12. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

I'd give up before even starting, cause I can't art worth shit.

13. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

Seems like the ones that know how don't want to teach because
    then they won't feel as important, or someone will end up better
    than them. I could be wrong, that would, after all, be pretty juvenile.

14. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

You just gotta learn yourself, like everyone else. It's too complicated to easily teach.

15. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

I'm not asking for help, just stating an observation.

16. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Why would you think that?

It's just the forums low knowledge of Jbeaming that makes people think that way, that's why everyone is demanding tutorials from us, when it's not that simple.
    I've helped countless people, and tried to teach them Jbeam. Take Holland for example, I spent months teaching him stuff, and he still does not get it. What makes you people think a video will work?

That mentality you have is completely wrong, us 'modders' love it when people are learning it, because it's great to see new people learning how to mod too, because there's not many.
    You should really think before you make such assumptions and 'observations'.

I do not get why the forum picks us modders out like it's our job to teach you guys, when it's not, so be glad some of us do and appreciate it.

Anyone has the ability to sit down and learn, without a tutorial, like the rest of us did.

17. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

How small do you assume our world really is? Not everyone is like you...

18. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

That's just how it looks to me. Like I said, I could be wrong.

If it takes months to make a car from scratch to finish, how long can
    it take to explain the concept of one specific aspect of doing so?

I'm not talking about every aspect and I see no demands for a video
    here...all I see is people wanting to understand what the hell jbeam is
    from people that supposedly understand it.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Failed each step in the Posting Guideline...

19. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

i appreciate the higher up modders like nadeox, drowsysam, dkutch and i dont think they are holding out on us. But if one one of them could put a small tutorial, like jbeam wheels or uv map(maybe) the community may be able to make more mods.
    i for one cant make wheels to save myself(yes there is a wiki but its hard to follow). so even if the best modders just put out a little tutorial, i and i believe others would be happy.

20. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

yeah that's pretty conducive to a successful modding community.

i propose we restructure the forum to promote better posting in general.

we have the following categories right now in the paid section

- general discussion
    - content creation -> programming
    - showroom -> mods & skins | vehicles | terrains | utilities
    - support
    - bug reports
    - suggestions

for each category and subcategory, ask yourself, "does this subforum attract useful discussion inherently?" if not, why not and what could be done?

I propose getting rid of the laziest possible category - general discussion (described as "anything that doesn't fit into the other categories") because nothing useful is ever fucking posted there and it gives no direction as to what kind of discussions would be interesting to talk about

rename content creation to "OH SHIT MODDING IS HARD PLEASE HELP ME" to attract some attention to it. the name barely fits it's description currently.

Create one umbrella "mod" category that contains mods/skins, terrains, utilities, and vehicles - but only those that are actually completed. there are way too many WIP projects that will never be completed and it's just a waste of space to pretend like the threads are valuable. it just places unnecessary emphasis on modding when the core content of the game should be the real focus. most mods just attract those noobs whose idea of playing the game is downloading a mod and crashing it while driving on their keyboard.

Make bug reports a subcategory of support. most of the posts currently in 'bug reports' should actually be in 'support' and it completely devalues the idea of a bug report.

moderate the shit out of 'suggestions'

since we've gotten rid of general discussion, we have plenty of room to create new and interesting subforums such as:

- real life car/vehicle talk (maybe create another category of subforums that is visible to non-paid members where people can talk about real life car shit or racing or other stuff)
    - racing / lap time discussion
    - specific feedback related to in-game cars
    - specific feedback related to in-game tracks
    - specific feedback related to physics
    - multimedia content (videos, pics, whatever)
    - off topic
    - create a "News and announcements" category that just links to the blog to keep things even more organized
    - anything else that might provoke a cool topic and/or keep shit posts out of the real discussions

i'm sure someone can come up with some good stuff, but right now the forum is not structured enough.

---

edit: as for the current discussion going on related to teaching/learning modding: put some blame on the devs. it seems that the responsibility is falling completely on the shoulders of RoR players who learned how to work this extremely complicated system. it should not be their job to deal with the result of how hard it is to make a mod. the dev's probably can't make it much better, but they should be putting less emphasis on modding if they're not directly supporting it themselves.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice