General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I should be given a masters degree in procrastination. Should be doing uni work? Nah, I'll just start drafting up a networking protocol for cheap low resource embedded microsystems.

Pretty simple protocol actually. Due to its simplicity and emphasis on cheapness/low resources, there is no redundancy and a single broken link in a large network will severely impede performance (we are talking a 99% chance that the network will become unusable) but maybe if I sat down and thought it through thoroughly instead of doing it as procrastination I could think up a few extensions to the protocol to allow for redundancy.

3. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Looks like it's unclipped both bumpers near the wheel arches anywhoo, gonna have to make creative use of zip ties. That or spare bolts and washers. Look forward to seeing you restore it actually. realigning things, undoing dents.. new parts. Good luck, have fun with her and for fucks sake.. be tasteful :p. nobody enjoys a barry made from a good car.

4. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

If we are talking about computer upgrades I dd just buy a 750w PSU for my PC. 550w wasn't cutting it and I think it may have been dropping voltages out of spec with an overclocked 4670k and 280x running on it for 4 years.

5. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

That worries me. I'm running an extremely similar system on 550W.

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

So having sat down and put pen to paper on my little protocol. I am now upto a maximum frame size of 255 bytes of which 9 bytes is header and 246 are payload. The header has been designed to allow devices with less than 255 bytes of buffer space to pre-emptively decide to discard packets not destined for them.

System is based upon a ring. RS232/UART used as a physical layer with each device connected to the next *1* way only, final device must connect back to the first in order to allow communication with all devices in the network. Messages are passed device to device the entire way around the network. If I want to communicate to the guy behind, then I actually have to send it to everyone ahead of me until it eventually makes its way all around the loop.

Also plan on a C# application capable of logging all network traffic, both silently as a non participating device and also capable of engaging in the network as an addressable device for others to communicate with.

7. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

As long as it's quality you'll be fine.

8. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Well as you may well know I recently got a Phantom 410 case and a Nepton240m cooler..well it should finally be here on Friday since I somehow accidentally bought the wrong one (Nepton140XL)and have been waiting all week to get a refund so I can order the proper 240m..

I also have to cut the back off of my desk so it fits...PC building is great sometimes.

But yeah 5ghz here I come :D

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

With that one way ring topography something braking would take out all two way communication across every computer as well as braking communications between certain combinations of computer which would probably be more than 99% unusable, especially if you put any form of error checking in (check sums or whatnot)? Also does it require two ports on each computer or does it require a single one that splits?
    [sass]Alternatively star topology is cool, you could use it like everyone else this side of 2000AD :p [/sass]

Considering its 1:15AM you should probably just sleep and do the work tomorrow or get on with it if it is in for tomorrow (it if it is in... i should sleep, i can barely type or think, night guys)

#15009 aljowen, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  10. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 550W. It's not 80+ certified, though.

It's a Cooler Master, it'll be fine.

11. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Cooler master isn't great for PSUs. I'd rate them below or with rosewill, which is what the 550w was. Funnily enough the 750w is a rosewill also.

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

It hasn't caused me any problems, runs cool and very quiet. It's not an Antec, but it's fine for what it does. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

13. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

So does mine. Just because it looks fine does not meant it is.

I read a review on the cooler master and it turns out efficiency is about 77%, and it is actually a rebadged 500w that was discontinued. The reviewer's sample burned at 550w. I wouldn't trust it.

14. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

There's no way I'm not up against the 550W limit.

Whatever, doesn't matter. I'm upgrading it when I get my new GPUs anyway. Two XFX 290x's and an 800W XFX PSU.

15. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

All the talk about PSUs makes me quite paranoid of my Thermaltake. It's a 700W, so nowhere near peak load, but it's not exactly a great PSU and while I have had no problems with it, it's been around since the beginning of this build just over two years ago.

At least I'm not pushing it. I should probably change it, but I want to buy some games already dammit :|

I guess I'll wait till I have my case and SSD and then change the PSU.

- - - Updated - - -

Unpin everything from taskbar for full retro looks.

16. jetcoasterfan

jetcoasterfan
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone having adobe flash player crash a ton when using yotube? the flash plugin crashes when ever i open a youtube video. I have the latest version of adobe flash player. I got rid of the old flash player version. Should i dump the stupid adobe flash player and use html5 instead?

17. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Yes you should, Flash is terrible and should be very dead.

18. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

yus
    (char)

19. Wheelie

Wheelie
    Expand Collapse

Anybody here have any experience with the Raspberry Pi?

20. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

I uploaded a WAV file to Imgur :p (yes this is actual WAV data but it needs a custom decoder)

(imported from here)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice