General Sound Ideas And Suggestions

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by LordJarhead, Aug 14, 2013.

1. LordJarhead

LordJarhead
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

my name is LordJarhead. I'm a passionated audiophile. I made a lot of audio work during my time as hobby audio designer in my studio, mainly for the game ArmA2. My JSRS Mod is quiet popular around the ArmAvers.

So, why am I here now? I saw BeamNG (been a fan of RoR for a long time now) and was really interested in trying this program. So I got it and as usual I crashed and wrecked some cars for a while. Until my audiophile side went out and said "Does all cars sound the same?". And then I started noticing some things. OF COURSE the game is still WIP and all my now stated ideas and suggestions might have been taken in account already, but I just thought I share my ideas anyways.

So how can I better do that than just making a video showing my actual ideas? I build in some stuff just for the demonstration purpose on how "I" (this is my personal opinion, I dont say it HAVE TO BE like that!!!!!!) would like the game to sound like in the end. I know the main focus lays on crashing stuff and using the soft body physics for most of the users, but hey, the game looks friggin' awesome! The graphics are fancy and so why not have fitting fancy sounds to it?

[MEDIA=youtube]http://youtu.be/XjqKr5dWLgY[/MEDIA]

Actually dont mind the yellow skid marks from the tires, sometimes I have all kinds of textures instead the black skid ones, dont know why.

UPDATE:

here is another video showing some sounds for Off-Roading fun.

[MEDIA=youtube]http://youtu.be/eWmn84oGdhs[/MEDIA]

The main goal was to make it sound like driving on dirt roads and all that kind of stuff. Dont mind the engine sound of that pickup truck, I really like the idea of having an totally overpowered V8 texas-trail kinda vehicle. I think the OffRoad version is as close as it gets for me. Obviously the video is rather long showing some On-Road driving as well, but thats not that interesting compared to the off-road stuff.

Also in this video nothing is fake. All the sounds are taken from the game. Mostly it was more like throwing some sounds into the game (You can actually change the sounds while the game is running which is awesome) just to see how cool it gets. Well, Off-Roading like this is a lot more fun now.

So, this is small and short demonstration of my personal desire concerning the BeamNG Drive Sounds that will come into the game. In the actual build there is only one engine sound that works on all vehicles, no matter what kind, how powerful, big or small. One Crash sound, one sound for tires and so on.

I know those are all test sounds and its still a WIP game, still this video is showing my personal taste:

• Different engine sounds for each vehicle subdivided into motor type.
    • The engine sound should get much louder when we loose the exhaust pipe while crashing or what ever reason.
    • Heavy jumps and landings should cause a squeaking noise or something like that from the shock absorbers.
    • Crash sound should be subdivided in heaviness.
    • There should be a difference on skid and tire noises for different tires (The Off-Road Truck tires sound different that the normal ones I believe).
    • Positional soundings and echoes. Driving besides a building should cause a "reflecting echo" from that object. Same for tunnels, forests and other bigger obstacles.
    • There should be idle, start and stop sounds as well as different sounds for different RPM areas (like the REV sound).
    • There should be a positional exhaust sound at the exhaust pipe position (Until we loose it of course).
    • Stereo indoor sounds. When we switch the cam to the inside of the vehicle it should be a stereo sound for best surrounding impression.
    • Car Horns. Of course^^

Those are mostly my current concerns/ideas/suggestions. I know some of you may not like it and say "Hey, its a sim, we dont need fancy sounds since the main goal is to create functions like driving, crashing what ever". But as said, the engine BeamNG is running on is quiet nice and really promising. I would really like to have some input from one of the Dev's (maybe even the sound dev). Maybe they'll share my ideas.

Thank you very much for your time reading through this. And I would like to say hello, I'm new here by the way as stated above :)

LJ

#1 LordJarhead, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Masterjoc

Masterjoc
    Expand Collapse

sign.

Would you share your examples? They are good made. :)

3. Deewad

Deewad
    Expand Collapse

Sounds great

#3 Deewad, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. BreadForMen

BreadForMen
    Expand Collapse

I eargasm'd. This definitely adds alot of quality to the game.

+1 for this.

5. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

JSRS was definitely a huge improvement over normal ArmA 2, so props for that.

Your proof of concept video had some very nice sounds (although I think the Covet should be a big higher-revving sounding IMO), but reading your post it doesn't seem whether or not you've explained the video. Are they sounds overlaid on the video or are these things you've actually worked on ingame? As much as the vehicle sounds need work, the main thing I noticed was the differing crash sound effects, which is a well needed touch.

6. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

Wow. Just wow.

7. ZeDDiE

ZeDDiE
    Expand Collapse

I freaking love this. Especially the last echo sound.

+1

8. Rainbow

Rainbow
    Expand Collapse

Wow this is awesome

+1

9. bza420

bza420
    Expand Collapse

WOW! just wow.. those sounds are awesome and add a new level of life to the game. anyway you could kindly share the soundpacks with the users here??

10. Dazzlepop

Dazzlepop
    Expand Collapse

Could you release a WIP version for now if you haven't already. I'd like to have this in-game ASAP

11. jayster346

jayster346
    Expand Collapse

Wow! These are incredible sounds. You certainly know what you are doing sir, keep up the great work! +1 for sure!

12. phipck

phipck
    Expand Collapse

I may be wrong but i think the OP edited the audio from the video to represent his ideas, rather than creat a sound pack. Some of the sounds, like revving in the tunnel, have echos etc which im sure would be quite a stretch to achive in a short space of time.

I love the idea of improving audio, i posted a quick vid in another thread demonstrating the importance of quality sound in film vs quality footage. The human brain can accomodate for poor visuals by estimating what is happening, but with audio it is far far more important as we dont have the same ability with sound.

I had been thinking on my drive to work this morning about this thread and the OP's comments, i absolutely agree. Im sure the Devs have been hard at work and have already considered many possabilities for sound integration, i would be excited to see what level of integration they had been planning.

For me, I would love to see something a little more layered. For instance, the sound the car makes, in real life this is made from engine sound, air induction sound, exhaust sound and contact with the ground.......sound. They all come from different locations but combine to create the vehicals over all sound.

This also would mean that when sat in the car you would get a feeling of exhaust behind, engine and induction in front, along with which wheel is loosing traction because of its squeeling.

I have no knowlege of the games engine capabilities, so couldnt even start to make suggestions for its implementation, but if sound could be tied some how to data, for instance induction noise tied to a throttle percentage or much like skid marks vary in density skid sound could vary in intensity equally?

I think Drive has the potential to be an exceptional piece of simulation development, used as a game or driving experience I think sound immersion would make this much more complete.

13. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

Good ideas that I am quite certain are already on the massive to-do list. It has been previously said that the current sounds are place holder by the devs. :)

14. LordJarhead

LordJarhead
    Expand Collapse

Good morning everyone!

I see I caused quiet a stone that got rolling over night. Thank you for all the "Thanks" I got even if I do not really did anything yet! I would like to state the truth behind the scene since thats your right to know.

The echo's like from the sides and the one in the tunnel is edited into the video and not from the game.

Actually I think it would be easy to make it though if we keep it really simple. We create coaxial lines coming out of the vehicles core moving to the right and left, front, back and top. Those lines are invisible, limited to a length, and connected to a script command called "LineIntersectsWith". That means when one of those lines intersects with an opbject it is playing an extra sound on that side, or even cause a certain filter technique to pop in and dynamically change the sounds on that side. So now we could even expand the feature by saying "Ok, the line intersects with an object, but WHAT object?" So if this object is the inside wall of a tunnel, voil?, we have a tunnel echo effect or filter right there that could play either an additional sound or lays an filter over all sounds. Last one would be better I guess. Thats how the echo features "might" be able to implemented. I did this in JSRS for ArmA2 to create sounds from inside a building, which was a feature people said it would NEVER be possible, and still, there it is.

Yes, also some of the crash sounds are edited inside the video. There is only one crash sound in the game and I dont know how to create more depending on velocity or heaviness of the crash. I think what would be really interesting is to create sounds per object of a car. Means if the glass gets broken, they get their sounds, if we hit something with the front it gets a sound, slow, mid, fast, all sounds individually. Also a "roof" sound like when the car flips and lands ontop of the roof it should cause an extra sound.

Skid sounds and engine sounds are taking from the game actually, I couldn't fake that so good fitting. I would like to have different sounds for road, dirt roads, highways and what not surfaces. I might make another video showing some driving with those sounds since its quiet fun. But for me I would really like to wait for the developers to come up with something before I really work myself into this. The sounds from the video were mostly a quick test and to show my ideas. I know some would really like to have them, yeah they sound cool, but I'm a men of perfection and before I don't reach a certain state of work I wont publish it. Some of the guys know that from ArmA and JSRS, they would like to kill me sometimes. But in the end they all love it and say "I'M so glad I waited!".

So I would say thanks again for all the cool comments and I would like to ask you to be patient. I think BeamNG will come up with something just fine :)

LJ

#14 LordJarhead, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  15. HydraZProduction

HydraZProduction
    Expand Collapse

I love your Idea! :D I was browsing on youtube and I saw your video! +1 and its great if you can make this sound pack for us! :eek:

16. LordJarhead

LordJarhead
    Expand Collapse

Hey Hydra,

Well lets wait for the devs to come up with their idea and then we see if I'm able to create a soundpack for you guys. If so, I'm happily put a big soundmod together :)

I'll posting another video later today showing some Off-Road driving and the fitting sounds. So, see you later mates.

LJ

17. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

the covet should sound a bit more like this imo. without a vtec kick of course.

And then maybe the rally version have a rev limit like :55 in this video

#17 moosedks, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  18. LordJarhead

LordJarhead
    Expand Collapse

Updated the first post.

Thanks guys,

LJ

#18 LordJarhead, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  19. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

That's some professional grade sound design I'm hearing. Nice work.

20. phipck

phipck
    Expand Collapse

really good progress there chap, Great to see that its all in game too, I like seeing just how possible it is to alter things and it obviously makes it very exciting to think what the devs have in store and what mods might be possible from the community!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice