1. Stuck, Having problems with creating your mod? Let us help you: Mod Support

WIP Beta released Generic City Remake

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by alex_333, Jan 5, 2017.

1. green94

green94
    Expand Collapse

Help.. install put into mods folder the put into levels folder deleted the .mis file and added the new one then deleted the copies but now it’s not showing up on the level menu. Any ideas how to fix?

2. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Just so everyone knows, the model design phase for the remake of this map has started.

This map will essentially get placed, right into the middle of So-Cal Interstate. So-Cal Interstate will go unsupported status right before I begin to add models to it / heavily modify it.
    I am porting all these models over into it, and slowly bringing them all with collision, working the textures as I go.

De-facto bridge will look like this:

FYI this was also featured in the content creation forum. This bridge will be part of a KIT that will feature modular bridge units. Yes, I am going "light" (weight) on the textures (yes, they're barely-modified Roane County textures if they look familiar, they ARE!). Trying to keep high detail under 2gb~3gb VRAM use for textures (likely not going to happen - may end up being 4gb VRAM use!).

So how's this going to be a true reboot of Generic City? It's going into a map where the roads flow much all the same way. There's winding roads coming down out of mountains/hills, there's long straights, and plenty of miles of freeway (44 miles of it?). There's lots of room for city directly in the center, and out the one side of it. Lots of mostly flat areas. So this will be very much just like Generic city, with it's raised highways, bridges, tunnels (i think it had tunnels) etc. Basically, the game-play will be much the same. One of the youtuber's that is a very big fan of this project, will be adding some financial backing if I haven't mentioned it before.

I also have the help of Meywue who also happens to use a version of Maya (program of choice here, Blender is going to make my heart explode - not kidding here, it makes my blood pressure go nuts), is also being very helpful with showing me how to better set things up, so that the game has collision objects.

This will be completely modular (bits and pieces, not huge pre-made models like West Coast), again so that for the ease of building (build one style of bridge only once, drag and drop into the editor and go to town, so to speak), expediency and also so that the community (and myself) can easily port the models at a later date.

If anyone has any building models (with collision), send them my way. Hopefully, within months or half a year or whatever, you all will be enjoying a city MANY times the size of West Coast, without POO for performance.

Just posted to let folks know I've taken an example from Maya and successfully ported it into BeamNG, so after almost canning this project multiple times due to software in-fighting (yes), it's alive and well.

What you'll see before this though:
    *So-Cal Interstate might be optimized and released one LAST time before it goes unsupported & it's plug gets pulled before it is merged into 'Generic City reboot' project. The map really couldn't be better as a donor map.
    *Canyon of Speed update and optimization for latest game version - with permission
    *I am also assisting with the BeamNG.Paradise fan-project when and where I can, on the side.
    If you haven't checked out Roane County Tennessee (it's still featured!) 0.9 FPS UPDATE, it came out about two weeks ago adding up to 50% more FPS, go add some good reviews
    (just turn off your reflections unless you have a 1060 or better!).

--Cheers

THIS PROJECT IS NOT DEAD, I AM JUST FINALLY GETTING TO IT AFTER SQUARING AWAY OTHER THINGS.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. DutchyGamer

DutchyGamer
    Expand Collapse

Looking forward to the progress :D

4. killstreak451

killstreak451
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice