Generic Map Names to Realistic Region Names

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by SupremeDalek73, Feb 7, 2021.

1. SupremeDalek73

SupremeDalek73
    Expand Collapse

So this is a pretty simple idea, it just involves renaming the default maps to the name of the region and state. Some maps already have canonical names for example:

East Coast USA - Firwood County, Maine
    Utah - West Rock Canyon, Utah
    West Coast USA - Belasco City, California

ETK Driver Experience Center, Hirochi Raceway, and Jungle Rock Island only need region names.

Industrial Site and Small Island USA don't have canonical names (as far as I'm aware) but they are located in Texas and California respectively.

Italy is a whole region on an island, with town names across the whole map, I haven't got many ideas for this other than naming it Civetta Isola (Owl Island), but a random name generator could work.

Derby Arenas could have a fictional family or business name followed by Texas and Automation Test Track could have potential renaming to something like Automation HQ or Automation Testing Centre due to there being not only a racetrack, but also a showroom, garage, rally circuits, a handling circuit, wet weather and incline tests and off-road trails

And finally, the Cliff map, which could simply have an island name (If there isn't a remaster or removal planned)

#1 SupremeDalek73, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 7
  2. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

I agree. Yes, this is a bump, but I think it’s better than posting a new thread.
    A few things:
    Industrial could be called [insert /name here] Complex, and Automation is in New Zealand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

As far as I remember the Automation test trak has a canon name, something like Kurupae Testing Facility if I remember correctly, and it's also set in a fictional country in Automation lore but in BeamNG they decided to change it to New Zealand for some reason

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I completely agree, if for no other reason than opening up the possibilities of two or more maps taking place within the same general geographic region. Because we've got a map called 'east coast', does that mean there can't be another map set somewhere on the East Coast of the US (like Florida, for instance). Italy is even worse since it locks up an entire country! I doubt we'll be getting further maps in these areas, but it just seems like good future-proofing.

As for specific names:

• I agree that Utah could be named after West Rock Canyon. It is, after all, the map's largest named feature.
    • East Coast should be named after its county, but having perused a list of Maine's counties, it doesn't seem like any of them are named after population centers. Historical figures, indigenous groups, and geographic features if anything. 'Kennebec County' or 'Fir Head County', for example.
    • West Coast being named after Belasco makes sense, but I don't think tacking the word 'City' adds anything. We can see from the preview images that there's a city, and almost no population centers in the US with over 200,000 residents have 'city' in the name*, unless you're in the DC Universe :p
    • Industrial's mess of infrastructure and compartmentalized areas makes me think it is an industrial park. It could be named something like 'GulfPort Industrial Park' or 'Bluebonnet Industrial Park', and would keep the 'Industrial' motif in the name.

The Automation developer, Camshaft Software, is based in New Zealand. My guess is the BeamNG devs felt that Automation's purely fictional universe wouldn't mesh with BeamNG's more grounded one.

*New York City, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Jersey City, and Salt Lake City being the only municipalities in the 150 most populous American cities to use the word 'city' in the name.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice