Getting a GTX 1080 For my birthday!!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by workclock1©, Jan 13, 2018.

?

Cool?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2018.
  1. Goodbye Intel HD

40 vote(s)
    87.0%
  2. GTX 1080 Ti's are bad

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Actually FPS might not be much higher than with some lower end GPU, because with those settings your CPU will be limiting factor more than GPU.

With Skylake i3 and i7 I got pretty much same performance in BeamNG, only difference is that I can spawn more cars with i7 than with i3, so need of CPU is depending what you do in BeamNG, no need to waste money on CPU if using 6 cars or less most of the time.

2. VAIOUser2

VAIOUser2
    Expand Collapse

I would recommend FH3.

3. llӇƳЄƝƛԼƠƦƊll

llӇƳЄƝƛԼƠƦƊll
    Expand Collapse

*Agree* i myself wanna get the game but I don't wanna have to buy an Xbox for it lol

4. MrLeRien

MrLeRien
    Expand Collapse

Then get the Windows version

5. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

I think i'll get FH3 Then

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

A 2xxx~newer intel i7 k-series, or intel 4xxx i5 k-series will bottleneck NOTHING unless it's slower than 3.5ghz on the low end of that list (a 3ghz i5 2xxx or 3xxx may slightly, but not otherwise).
    Processors haven't made serious leaps and bounds on the intel side since Sandy Bridge 2xxx series. There was 256-bit FPU for 4xxx series and there's more cores on the 8xxx series. That's about it. Per-thread performance has only increased about 10~15% in all those generations for the same class of chip. There's specific use scenarios where the gains may be more though.
    Anyone with an i5/i7 k-series with a good overclock, 2xxx and newer, or an intel i5/i7 non-k series 4xxx and higher will be fine and really won't bottleneck at all (same as above with overclock).

NOW that being said, if you're running 1333mhz or 1600mhz ram or anything slower than 2400mhz, you have some headroom to gain moving to the newer setups. YES fast RAM makes a difference in Beamng physics process. Heck, even in Fallout 4, when you've got AI milling about, walking through the ruins of downtown Boston, 2400mhz RAM vs 1600mhz RAM can make the difference between 50 and 60fps. It does matter, especially when you get all cores going.

That being said, no, you don't really have to worry about your processor bottle-necking the PC. Not a slight bit. 6 cores is going to out-speed my i7 4790k 4.4ghz and similar processors, when it comes to how many things you can run at once (like many cars in Beamng.drive or multi-core aware programs or games that can use 4 cores OR MORE), provided it's running at 4ghz and can keep cool enough to stay running at at-least that speed (important, hence I de-lidded mine as it's air cooled and a hotbox cpu).

Just don't blow up the damn PSU in the system and you'll be fine. If you need warranty, take out the video card and try and make it look like you've never modified it or offer to replace parts yourself.
    When checking out the PSU, make sure it can provide not only the wattage figures needed on the 12V rail, but the amperage too. If you need to use adapters on the power plugs to make it fit, be cautious as a 6 pin doesn't provide what an 8-pin will. Adapters are OK in some cases but not nearly as OK in an OEM PSU like a Dell. Dell only puts in what's required and often doesn't give you more than a few watts of lee-way in their cheaper models (that being said, Optiplex is much better than the old Dell Dimensia line was, those were absolute TRASH).
    If your power supply is putting out air that is hot enough to cook dinner, that's a warning sign, but there's also this solace: That system without the video card would likely have a hard time going over 150 watts without an overclock, and may in-fact not even use that much, when gaming (not accounting for loss when converting AC to DC). It's not all set in stone though, it depends on the components used, the quality and efficiency of the power supply, etc. A cheap 600 watt PSU could blow up trying to power that card, where a good Seasonic 450~500 watt PSU would just soldier through with that load for years. It depends what it's rated for, exceed these specs, and it could die out, or blow up, taking out your computer, or causing situations involving FIRE - which could burn down the house. Your parents wouldn't want to buy you a gaming computer any more if that's the case (if you live with parents; if out on your own, your landlord or insurance company would likely be even less friendly to deal with).
    So yea, don't make your computer turn into a fireplace, make sure you know what your power supply is rated for, and the specifications for the power required for the video card can be had with some searching.
    If you get crashes while gaming before you can buy a better power supply, you can always use a tool (if it boots to Windows), and under-clock the video card until the crashes go away starting with about 25~30% (which can reduce the power requirement by at-least 40% and hence the heat also!). You don't want to blow up your computer. If you add hardware and murder it, it will be very hard to get warranty.

Take what I said with a grain of salt; but also, it is coming from someone with almost 25 years experience in PC hardware. Be glad you don't have to mess with jumpers or IDE cables anymore.

--Cheers.

7. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info, But with the PSU Part, I currently have a 500 watt PSU, And i've been told lots of times to get a 600 watt PSU, or your computer will go boom and possibly turn into something bad, like you said, fire and burning down my house. So if i can find a decent price 600 watt PSU, I should be out of the mud i am in currently.

About the CPU- I honestly think a I5 3.6GHz with a 3.9GHz turbo should do the job, but again, i don't have anymore money to buy another CPU, so that's something i'll have to work for again, like my GPU.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

A 6xxx-8xxx CPU is just fine. Even a 4xxx cpu at that speed would be just fine. As long as it stays cool enough to run at it's rated normal and turbo speeds, it's fine. It's thermal throttling you don't want. While you may at some times be CPU-limited, it will only be on less demanding or older titles. If you put your new graphics card in, underclock it before running in 3d mode with it, that's all. This way you don't KABOOM things.
    CPU-limited situations is not the same as 'cpu-bottle-necked' in terminology stand-points. Cpu limited means the cpu can keep up but the graphics card has sufficiently fulfilled it's requirements (because it's capable and fast enough). At this point you turn up graphics settings to match, or turn down AI-related or physics-related things if you WISH TO even out performance (you rarely have to honestly) etc. Bottle-necking is where you end up with worse performance after an upgrade because the CPU is basically way over-burdened with the new amount of data for better graphics, that it has to push with an upgrade. This would be something you might see on a basic i3 or core 2 duo, or older 1st generation i7 configuration (even then it's not too bad until you get to core2 stuff). It's over-blown big-time and unless you get worse performance with a graphics upgrade, or don't notice much of any improvement at all, you're not going to bottleneck. Often in older systems the bottleneck comes from not having proper interfaces like PCI-express 2.0/3.0 or enough free cores, or enough RAM (in the case of DX 9.0 games, your system RAM mirrors your graphics RAM, but not in DX 10 or DX 11). Your system if it is at-least intel i-series CPU of 4xxx or newer (or 3xxx for knowledgeable users), has PCI-express 3.0. 4.0 is not yet out.

--Best of luck, and get a GOOD BRAND NAME power supply, otherwise you've replaced yours for nothing. Keep your old supply as a tester you can use if one of the PC's in your house takes a dump.

9. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Haha, guess I won’t be getting the 1080

I never bought it, some other guy got it.

I’m screwed

;>

10. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

Wow... that must really suck. like, bad. I'm sorry... I hope you can find another one!

11. Gnarlex™

Gnarlex™
    Expand Collapse

DELETED

12. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Found another GPU, GTX 750 Ti SC.

i can't find another 1080.

13. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

From 1080 Ti to 1080 to 750 Ti ??

14. Glitchy

Glitchy
    Expand Collapse

I suggest a 1050ti. I have one and it runs BeamNG pretty good. Or get a 1060, or a 1070, or 1070ti.

15. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

i never brought up a 1080, just the 1080 Ti, which i never bought.

I don't think i'll get a 1050, i'm going to firmly stick with a 750.

16. Gnarlex™

Gnarlex™
    Expand Collapse

How about a RX 570? They are pretty cheap and have an amazing performance for the price. I owned a RX 480 and I was completely satisfied, until I was stupid and my cooler died due to a waaaay to high overclock... R.I.P RX480, you served me well :(

17. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

How about a 950?

18. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

If you have a Micro Center near you, they sometimes get 1080 Ti's in for around $770, a reasonable $70 over MSRP. With the shitcoin fad the way it is right now (digital Pogs, I swear), that's the best legitimate deal you're going to find anywhere. You have to go there in person, and you'll need to ask when the next shipment comes in. (They'll tell you when, but they might be jerks about it - after all, they will probably assume you are one of those craptocurrency miners that has driven up the price of their precious gaming hardware to obscene amounts.) Show up that day before the bitcoin miners (is mining even profitable anymore?) and resellers - get there before they open so you can be towards the front of the line - and make sure you know where the cards are being sold. Place your order, wait about half an hour, and get your card. You can get up to two, but you only need one to play BeamNG at a silky-smooth 60 FPS. If there is a nearby shelf with Corsair CX 750M power supplies at a bargain, ignore it - it will be DOA, I promise. Get an OCX 600-watt on Newegg - mine, as I have mentioned, is shockingly reliable.

If you do this, then congratulations, you get to do it all over again next year when the batshit insane Volta-based GTX 1180 Ti reaches stores at a reasonable price.

#78 vmlinuz, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  19. 2000ToyotaCorolla

2000ToyotaCorolla
    Expand Collapse

i think you mean 420fps heer i come

20. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

let me be the first to say that profile picture is amazing and so well done

and yes and i did not get the 1080, i got the 750 ti SC, And i can run west coast at about 30 fps smoothly and 100 if i look at the sky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice