Getting a static IP

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by gigawert, Aug 3, 2017.

1. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

I would like to get a public static IP so that it doesn't change. I've heard that ipv4 addresses are expensive and rare, yet I get a new one every two weeks at least which is annoying. I don't want to have to update my client software for my project that connects to my server every time my IP changes. Do you guys have any tips?

2. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Not much you can do if you want to stick to IPv4. You must ask your provider and reserve a static public IPv4 address.

If possible, switching to IPv6 would solve the issue, does your provider support IPv6 yet?

3. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

IPv6 is on my router page so I suppose so. But I'll only use IPv6 if you can connect to an IPv6 address via a web browser as you would an IPv4 address.

4. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Interoperability is granted. You won't see a difference in everyday use and your system will be running both the v4 and the v6 stacks in parallel.

All you need to verify is whether your provider gives you IPv6 addressing and connectivity already.

5. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

The router can support IPv6 without the ISP giving IPv6 addresses. As for webpages, you can use IPv6 in the same way, with a couple of changes. You'll have to contact your ISP about getting a static IP address.

6. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

Finally one thing AT&T is doing right... They have a page about it. Hopefully I'll find something there.
    --- Post updated ---
    What couple of changes are those? Because when I enter my ipv6 address into a website that checks the status of a server (this case my RPi) it gives me an error but it says that the server is up if I use my ipv4 address.

7. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Not all IPv6 address are routable. Unless your ISP offers IPv6 addressing, you don't have a global unicast address you can use for the purpose.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

You'll have to phone ISP and ask for a static address, or use dynDNS

9. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

My parents won't deal with it
    too expensive

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

then you have 0 choices. enjoy.

11. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Use Open ip or whatever for your Dynamic DNS.. It has to be manually updated, so use the software on a Raspberry Pi (Zero W is wifi and 10$ with virtually no electric usage)
    No point in getting a static ip these days

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice