Google Earth photogrammetry in BeamNG

Discussion in 'Videos, Screenshots and other Artwork' started by james_uk, Apr 5, 2021.

1. james_uk

james_uk
    Expand Collapse

Saw a couple of threads asking if this was possible so i thought I'd try it. Location is Kings Cross London:

Although these look nice (from a distance), I don't believe the technology nor the resolution is quite there yet. The biggest problem is the roads. At ground level, you can see sharp bits of geometry sticking out which basically renders it undrivable at any degree of speed. I tried cleaning these but due to the way the vertices are positioned, cleaning these are virtually impossible using automated methods (vertex merging/welding. The way Google Earth renders the LOD meshs/textures is also highly inconsistent and difficult to control. The awful photogrammetry trees are virtually impossible to cleanup as well.

I'm sure it'll happen in some form eventually. Just not right now. If anyone wants to try this themselves (in the event you get better results than I do), this plugin was used with Blender:

https://github.com/eliemichel/MapsModelsImporter

Which is used in conjunction with Renderdoc 1.10.

• Like Like x 4
  2. rtthvi66

rtthvi66
    Expand Collapse

oh my gooooooood I love your creations and I would like to drive around real places in beamng!
    --- Post updated ---
    you could use the 2020 3d google earth model because it has the least cars! (because of quarantine)

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice