GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by RoRlover1100, Jul 13, 2014.

?

Should I do this upgrade?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2014.
  1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  3. Would make no difference to performance

25.0%
  1. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

But should I get the gaming version? And I don't care about DVI/VGA ports as I only run a single monitor. But would it fit into my case? The 8470 is really small, and these cards seem to be twice the height.

2. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure how graphically intensive The Forest is, but if you're going to be primarily playing RoR and BeamNG on your machine, an R9 270/270x is probably a bit overkill. They'd fit in your case, yes, but you're better off saving the money and getting a R7 250x based on your needs IMO.

EDIT: According to the recommended specs of The Forest, you should be fine with anything better than an AMD HD5850. That's quite an old card so I'd say the R7 250x would still be fine considering the advancements since the 5850.

3. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

Ok, so I can either get the r7 or the r9. I know it's a bit overkill, but I don't want to have to upgrade for a good 2 years at least. I'm forever buying new games, and most of them pretty demanding. And I know it's a fair bit of money, but I can make about £50 back by selling some speakers for about £20 and the old card for about £30 (I hope.)
    But is my CPU a good match for the GPU? (I think) my CPU is decent, so it shouldn't bottleneck it. Thanks.

P.S - Sorry if I don't make much sense, I'm crap with this computer stuff. =P

4. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Anything with anyone's computer can be improved. Your CPU isn't the best, but it should be ok. Go for an R9 if you constantly by demanding games. If you go with the R7, you'll be upgrading in 6 months.

5. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

I'll go with the r9, then. Thanks very much. Now all I need is my IT engineer friend to reply to my e-mail! If he doesn't, then should I fit it myself or go to a shop? I don't really wanna go to a shop, as the guy used to own a shop but he now does it from home and I don't trust the other shops. I hope that he's just gone on holiday and that he will reply soon. He was trusted because my dad went to school with him, and he's just a very friendly guy, I bought a laptop off him and he upgraded the RAM for free. Thanks, I really appreciate all of your help. =D

6. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

7. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

So what are you saying... I'm not buying a new CPU. Infact, would Currys PC world let me return the PC? They said it would run the games no problem and said the CPU was the equivalent to an i7. They lied. I shouldn't see why they wouldn't let me return it, all I've done is open the case, and that doesn't void the warranty.

8. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

It depends if they take back "used" (ie. box opened) products. If they have a 28/30 day satisfaction guarantee then you should have no problem. Your best bet is just to contact them, we can't find out for you if you can return it.

9. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

But I got it more than a month ago, I'll contact them now. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Aww. :c

Still gonna e-mail them.

Attached Files:

• PC WorldReturns.png
  10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

In case you need it:
    08454040506 - trading standards. An idle threat to call them when correctly used usually makes customer service immediately switch their minds on whether they'll allow a refund/exchange if they were denying it beforehand.
    The way I see it, if you can prove they claimed the CPU to be equivalent to an i7 then it is a full case of false advertisement and selling a product not fit for purpose. There isnt really a model in the APU lineup which can claim to be equivalent to an i7.

11. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, but I don't know how to prove it. I was looking at one with an A8 and this one with an A10. I asked someone to help me, and she said that the A8 was the equivalent to an i5, and the A10 equivalent to an i7. I told them the games I play, and they said they will 'find out'
    About 10 mins later they come and told me they will run fine - more than enough, turns out that the GPU is barely enough. Also, in the store it said that the processor was 4.2 GHz, but it's only 3.69 GHz.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, here's what I put:

Hi,I recently purchased a new computer from Currys PC world, and I was told that it would be more than enough to run my games. Turns out it's barely enough. I was therefore wondering if I could get a refund. I am quite disappointed as it cost a lot of money, and I can get a much better computer for about the same price. It was false advertised, too - I was told that the processor (AMD A10 6700) was equivalent to an i7. It's not. Plus, in the store it said that the processor was 4.2 GHz, it's only 3.69 GHz. I read here and found that I can't have a normal refund, as it has been opened and used for about 2-3 months. The computer is an Acer Aspire TC-105. I could upgrade it, but I am not happy to upgrade it because that's costing me a lot more to correct something that could've been easily avoided if I wasn't lied to. Thanks.

#31 RoRlover1100, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Add in the store it was bought from, the date purchased on and if you are lucky the receipts often have the name of who served you that day.

13. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Next time watch tons of reviews before you buy anything. Sellers will tell you anything you want to hear, it's their job.

14. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

I tried to look at reviews of my exact PC, but I could only find Acer Aspire TC-105s with different specs. I will just see what they say now. Thanks everyone. :)

15. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I meant reviews about hardware itself, for the CPU and for the GPU especifically, so you know what you're buying and what you can compare it to.

16. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

Ok. I'm gonna do my best to get a refund, and when I do, the first thing I'll do is come here. I think that it would be best if I have a prebuilt system, as I don't think I'd be great at putting it together, but pcpartpicker will do. =P. How hard is it to make a PC? I've never upgraded one, let alone build one. Thanks.

17. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

A bit like LEGO, put the pieces together in the right place ;). I've built my own since 2008, and the first time I only made one mistake and it was trying to plug the PCI-E power connector into the CPU connector lol :confused:. It takes some time though, but I enjoy doing it and having the satisfaction of knowing that I put it all together and made it work by myself.

18. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

Ok. I think I'll get my dad to help me out, he has a bit of experience with putting things together. I understand the basics, and luckily all of the plugs on the MB are labeled. To be honest, I don't think it can be that hard. Plug stuff in and screw things together. Thanks! :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so I did some research, and it looks like Currys PC world are awful when it comes to returns. But my computer was false advertised. I've e-mailed them, so I'm just waiting on their reply now, but if they refuse, I'm gonna make sure I get a refund. Obviously, I can't force them to give me a refund, but if they say no by e-mail, then I'll go into store, and if they say no, I'll go into another store, and possibly just play it dumb. :p
    But the staff there are so greedy - they will do anything to make a sale! They lied about my computer, they told me to buy McAfee for £19, when it had a 30 day trial and I could get a cheaper antivirus that actually does something, and I wanted to buy the PC without the monitor as I got my Samsung for £30, but he kept on saying about the monitor - He said when I was making the payment (and I quote) "So you've got a monitor YOU SAY..." in a very rude tone. To be honest, they only care about money. I will have to delete everything on it though, because they won't accept it if it has stuff on it. Any suggestions on what I should do if they refuse to give me a refund??? Thanks! :D

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Ring the number I gave above, trading standards, they can either provide consumer advice to you or fight for you against the company etc etc. Basically the police of consumer sales. Usually just dialling the number infront of store staff suddenly persuades them to your cause. Oh I can be a dick to store staff sometimes :p
    Actually in all honesty, I've only pulled that one on them twice myself, usually you hope to never use it. Stepdad though, oh he just loves taking that one out of the bag when applicable.

20. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

Ok. They should reply to my email tomorrow. If they say no, then I'll go into the store and see what they say. If they still say no, I'll say that I'm about to call trading standards. Should be something along these lines:

Me: "So can I get a refund?"
    Them: "No."
    Me: "Ok, I'll call trading standards, see what they say."
    Them: "This way to the checkout please, sir."

Should do the trick xD

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I quickly threw together an idea of a build. Any good??

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/LNbQcf

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice