1. Stuck or having problems creating your mod?
  2. GPU Fatal Error? Intel HD Graphics 620/630 Crashes? Help us solve them!
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Beta released Graphics mod Alternative lighting

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Brother_Dave, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for taking so long. If installed correctly you shouldnt even have a albeta file. The folders inside the zip should all be found in the Documents/Beamng.drive folder.

So, since i have less time to continue this im posting the core files, without a preset and without modified levels files.

This zip contains all the postfx fixes/mods:

• All the Postfx window fixes

• Working tonemapping
      -Adjusted the code so that it makes bright sources brighter faster than before, when it seem to makes dark sources darker quicker than bright sources

• HQ SSAO so that it looks a ton better, especially under vehicles

• Fixed bloom position a few steps (compared to earlier fix it can now have a negative MEAN value which finally lets you center bloom completely on bloom source)

• Some DOF fixes, for example
      -DOF is effected by visible distance in maps, Im using between 4000-8000 and that also gives you smoother dof curves so that you dont have a visible edge where its either DOF or not DOF

• Working Minimum Luminance which has a very positive impact of setting bloom, tonemapping and so on

• Working White cutoff so that you can make things overblown bright, cause extra contrast along with Tonemapping

• Adjusted scales for many PostFx settings so that they are more userfriendly (example. Bright pass threshold)

• Multiflare Lensflare fix, have to be chosen in the map settings (called BeamNGLensflare1 or something like that)

• Probably more things ive forgotten
    The files in this zip is meant to be extracted into you Documents/Beamng.drive-folder, see attached pic. I thought id do this before the devs release their lighting updates, since these dont effect lighting, only PostFx and Lensflares. That way my level settings wont clash with their work. Looksl ike im out of business when they release the lighting update, also looks like bloom has been sorted/changed/updated judging by the vid of the D15 so might not need any of these in the future.

Anyways, im glad ive had the time to contribute to the community in ways that i find boosts BeamNG where it thought it lacked.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Im really looking forward to that lighting updates to come! Itll probably make my stuff obsolete but until then im cruising on. It might be easy to think that i spend most of my time working on this but i actually just play Beamng more and more since im getting quite happy with how my stuff looks :) In this vid you can see how my latest and maybe last release will look, with all its map sky+lighting mods, lens flare fix and PostFx fixes. As usual theres no reshade or other gfx overlay, its pure ingame stuff thats there already. Ive just changed settings or made fixes to broken stuff all across the postfx boards and incl some other fixes to files, for example the mentioned lensflare which now contains the multiple flares template (with my custom texture though) if specified in the map settings. yep im a true nerd lol.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Who knows, maybe it will look even better with the new colour calculations? As of right now, it seems a bit too dim for me

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think new illumination should make it more controllable so Brother Dave can make changes he wants much easier, not so much trial and error as changing parameter might give closer to estimated effect.

But you never know how it will actually work, will be interesting to see what people manage to get out of linear lighting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully i can still contribute, the recent update to Hirochi and ECUSA made one hell of an impact on my mods and looked even better IMO, as you say.

Yes, Im both exited and curious how it all will look, what will have been changed, is it a big change or a small and so on. Ive mentioned here and there that i think the gfx area is a turn off for some users, causing a drop in overall user amount. But things arent free so in order to improve that it needs funds, time and know-how and those are three vital parts in a business and alla areas compete about them.

I think it was Nadeox that i had a discussion with a while back about the gamma in Beamng making things look flat and the less gamma i used the more vibrant colors got. Ive even tried different changes to the gamma file(s) but since im not a real shader/gamma/whatever coder i almost dont know what im doing.

In some other discussion about game lighting, and i think this was through messages with the one responsible for that area, i got the response that it would take too much effort to adjust the resources but i guess theyve worked out a way on that subject. I did also talk to someone before the recent map updates about how they also didnt use normals maps for the foliage making them look even flatter but since they now do and get specular reactions and it makes an enormous difference.

Im just glad theyve time to focus on the gfx side (or rather i think we can assume that they are constantly are working on it, just telling us about this part, now). Ideally for me they do something about the skies cause they all look very planar to me, the dynamics are killed when using the Colorize setting and the clouds are something that looks like its been around since the 00s in T3D.
    I tried making a huuge seamless cloud texture a while ago, with 10 different cloud type areas on it but i didnt get it to work. That was after talking to one of the T3D devs about clouds, using basic clouds instead of skybox for sky textures. I then tried to get it to react to TOD to have one texture for horizon clouds using basic clouds (which support transparency so that the colors of the Scatter Sky shows) and other cloud textures using the normal cloud layers. Didnt get the Basic clouds to react to sunlight so they were always lit up, even at night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice