GTA 5

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Charlie, Aug 22, 2013.

1. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

Motorcycle handling makes it no fun. I agree, but cars are still fun to drive.

2. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

How in depth is the whole stock exchange/real estate thing and is there actually any real money to be made in it.

3. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

VERY.

Destroy one specific vehicle in the world, stock goes down. Buy their stock.

Destroy every other vehicle, the other stock goes up, sell.

4. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like quite a business plan you've got there

5. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Haha, yeah. That's just one of the ways to make real quick cash.

6. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

i really did enjoy the driving mechanics and physics in gta4. the cars actually rolled and reacted to crashes and things. the cars in gta5 are too stiff, the damage mechanics have been ruined, and you can no longer do stunts on motorbikes. (i spent hours at the skatepark in gta4 with different bikes doing different stunts and jumps. thats no longer an option in gta5) but still, overall, gta5 is an amazing game. no doubt. and a bit of advice, do the assassination missions after you do a real big robbery, and play the stock market with the assassination missions. you will turn your few million into hundreds of millions

7. ZeDDiE

ZeDDiE
    Expand Collapse

i laid some investements in flyus.
    then i took my jet and destroyed every plane that didnt have a flyus logo on them. its fun af.

8. Lentomakkara

Lentomakkara
    Expand Collapse

The cars are a bit stiff, but it's better than GTA IV. And you can do flips and such with motorcycles.

9. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

not even close, the cars are practically invincible now, this is a HUGE step down from gta IV vehicle physics and stuff :/

10. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Not in the slightest. They take more of a beating in the front/rear for gameplay purposes, but they're much more fragile than in IV. Certain cars in V explode just from being rammed in the fuel tank.

11. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

see, they shouldnt be able to take more damage in those places, why? BECAUSE THATS NOT HOW IT WORKS IN REAL LIFE!!!, not even close, just , honestly, that was the best part of IV, was the crash damage physics for a pre-modeled crash model, now?, there visually almost indesctruble, they explode and stuff still, its just impossible to make it look anything like it would have is all in non-explosion crashes

12. Lentomakkara

Lentomakkara
    Expand Collapse

They made the cars stiffer. If you get hit by a train, you'll still see "good" damage. Crumpling in the front and rear is realistic, they're called crumple zones.

Anyways, I meant the driving is better in V than in IV.

13. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

That's not how it works in real life because the way it works in real life would be awful for a game based around car chases and frequent crashing.

The driving is better, and the damage model is better, it just takes more effort to SEE said damage.

Proof:

(imported from here)
    That's my own picture, the limo is clearly crushed and utterly undrivable. It's deformed more than you can deform a car in IV, and isn't as jagged either.

14. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Driving sucks. I don't have fun anymore driving around the map. Cars have no suspension at all, you can turn at any speed and the car remains completely flat. I'm waiting for a PC version and a handling mod to fix this epic failure they have done, first GTA I DON'T enjoy driving.

15. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Have you played ANY game before IV?

16. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

SA and the previous games before it (the "3D" era) were extremely cartoony. So cartoony physics fit in with that universe.

The "HD" era (IV and V) is going for a more "sober realism" type thing, with the look and feel of the whole game and environment. The combat in V has become more punishing and realistic than IV - you die far more easily in general. You even get hurt from car accidents now, whereas in IV you'd only get hurt from flying out the windshield. So the fact that all the cars have as much grip as an F1 car and can survive repeated high speed head-on crashes without even a hint of engine damage totally goes against the rest of the game. I mean, you can die from falling off a bench the wrong way, but your car is practically invincible, even from gunfire (unless you hit the fuel tank). It's just inconsistent.

EDIT: And then there's times where your car will just inexplicably explode from a moderate crash, like falling 20 feet. Again, inconsistent.

#356 gabester, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  17. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

THIS, this is exactly what ive been saying, gabester just explained it better then i did, lol

18. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it just depends on your standpoint, then, but I've played every game from III onwards and felt that even if it's "fitting", the handling is awful. Everything is twitchy, fast, and the sounds just completely disconnect you (infinite gears and that horrible tyre squeal for one). The early games are fantastic besides their handling.

V's handling suits the game perfectly to me. You can feel the drivetrain differences still (try a long, fast corner in the Blista, after the first initial twitch of steering you get the wheelspin and understeer) but the driving is faster paced, more responsive, and just all-round more immersive to me. I loved IV's handling, but after playing any game with *more* realistic physics it's obvious that the physics are really exaggerated in anything. 30 degrees of body roll in a supercar cornering at 30mph isn't exactly realistic, and V is more like the opposite end of that spectrum. It has all of the features that made IV's handling great, but ditched what made it crap.

The cars definitely still have "physics", I've had plenty of times where I've flew up onto two wheels from clipping one side of my car on a curb/hill, and plenty of times where oversteer gets me. The only problem I have with the handling is how driving over a curb, your car "snaps" to the height instead of bumping.

The damage I'll half-agree on, cars are pretty strong now but I still stand by the point that it's intentional. Having your engine ruined after a few impacts is a real bummer in a mission, especially in something you'd expect to be durable like the Phantom. It's a GTA game, we all know that BeamNG has god-tier damage simulation, but in a game like GTA it would be unplayable, it'd ruin the flow of it.

V is definitely the best GTA game so far in terms of physics, but I guess as always it's just down to different strokes for different folks.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't that for cinematics/extra difficulty? I thought it was a play on the "every car is a Pinto" trope. Since the game has a big focus on movies with Michael's character, it'd only be right to have the overexaggerated explosion-prone cliff drops. It's easily averted if you steer your car upright in the air, it's only for bonnet/roof impacts.

19. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

GTA IV's handling was definitely exaggerated as far as body roll, and the dynamic steering assist was extremely limited (you didn't understeer so much as it just wouldn't let you steer far enough). So out of the box, neither game is realistic. But at least GTA IV cars had a fairly realistic level of grip and braking distance. GTA V has gone too far the other way. Cars stop from 60 mph in literally 30-40 feet, about 3x as good as a real car or a car in IV. The challenge is gone, except for when cars randomly spin out or explode. You can be nearly asleep at the wheel, holding throttle to the max constantly in a RWD supercar and never breaking traction, and then suddenly it'll spin out for no discernible reason. It's not a predictable, learnable base like IV's handling was. It's just inconsistent and has no learning curve, instead randomly punishing the player in ways that can't really be avoided. The cars have so much grip that you physically can't drift or do donuts, and it counter steers automatically too. Yet they randomly choose to spin out, usually at the worst possible time (like in the middle of a race). And since you're so used to the cars never breaking traction, when they do, it's a pain in the ass.

Oh, and the mid-air control is extremely obnoxious. I don't want to steer my car in the air. Most of the time it catches me by surprise and I flip the car because of the mid-air control. The game would be easier without it.

20. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I don't feel like it was too simple, in the first Franklin mission I was spinning all over the place in the 9F because it throws you in at the deep end. If they were massively simple you'd pick it up straight away. There's a lot more traction at high speed but there's still a lot of decent wheelspin and loss of grip on the launch, one of the things I liked from IV.

I feel like the challenge is still there, in a different place. While I'm arguing that the driving physics are better, I agree that they ARE easier than IV, but the challenge has been moved to keeping out of the way and swerving through LA traffic - I think this is why the driving physics have changed like so. You can swerve through traffic using the initial grippy twitch, but you have to stay focused to keep weaving the line through, say, the oncoming lane.

As for the braking, it's only really in supercars that it seems too powerful. Try stopping one of those tow trucks or the ones that haul gravel in their bed. They're pretty bad at slowing down, they career down the road and take a while to stop when you're going fast.

I'll agree on that part, too. But again, my justification is that it's a game based around plentiful high-speed chases and expensive cars. If you can't steer your car in mid air and you're heading roof-first for the base of Chiliad, you're screwed. It's obnoxious but it WAS in IV, too.

It sounds like just a "get out of jail free" justification, but really, I think a lot of the things that people don't like about V are actually improvements, once you consider them in the context of its movie influence and gameplay mechanics.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice