GTA 5

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Charlie, Aug 22, 2013.

1. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

I very much enjoy being able to control cars in mid air, it's a nice feature to have control over. It really annoys me when you get "tapped" or shunted by an enemy vehicle and your car literally steers to the left or right (same happens if a tyre is shot out). Also, i'm absolutely HATING the fact that police cars/choppers will spawn in front of you; 5 stars and you can't get away without going into a train tunnel, a heli will just randomly appear and spot you otherwise. :C
    Can't wait for PC version, those will be the things that i find patches for first :p

2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

The magic police AI is irritating, and I wish it would actually like, dispatch police cars/helicopters from stations, instead of just spawning them down the road.

3. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

It seems that my best option with GTA V, is to wait for the PC version where annoyed gamers make mods that fix all of these issues.

4. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Not even close. Like, so far from even close.

Have you destroyed a car in IV? Like crushed, crumpled, totaled? It doesn't compare in the slightest possible way to V.

IV takes the gold medal on damage. Beamng takes the diamond medal of course. V takes maybe a bronze.

But yeah, it's all personal opinion like you said. I can't stand V, it's an arcade game. I don't want to play a gta arcade game.

III felt less like an arcade game than V...

Hell, Vice City had spike strips. Remember those? Damn I miss spike strips...

5. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

They still have spike strips :p

6. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Oh man, clearly shows how little I've played then.

I watched hours and hours of my friend playing though, 1 star to 4 stars, I never saw strips though?

7. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Once again, GTA V has better damage, but it takes more to crumple a car. The damage in V is far better looking and realistic, but it takes more effort to get it that badly damaged. Half the time you deformed a car in IV it would be a jagged banana-shaped mess.

Also, spike strips are in V. If you're in a big police chase, the transporter vans park on the road and deploy them.

8. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

I just can't understand how you can even say that. I disagree so intensely. I could pull up pictures upon pictures and gameplay proving the opposite of that.

I may give you realistic, but even then...I still don't agree.

9. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)

The first image definitely looks better.

10. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Your right on the aesthetic appeal.

1. Amount of overall crumple

2. Amount of overall crumple while looking 'good'

V takes the cake on 2, you can make a car pretty damaged, but it won't look 'destroyed'. Like super destroyed. It will still look good.

You example of IV is only a fraction of how crumpled you can get a car though. I'm getting friend to email some screen caps from our IV moments lol.

But yeah, the 'realism' will drop pretty fast when Nikos head starts to show through the roof becasue the car is practically a pancake. I prefer it though...meh.

11. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

i actually have my own picture, of lots of god-mode off/on and engine damage fixing + explosive shotgun, of making a TRUE, compact golf caddy:

(imported from here)

and lower'd engine compartment, XD:

(imported from here)

now, can you do THAT, in gta v? i dont think so

12. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

That's the kind of stuff that put a smile on my face.

Not t-boning a car in V at high speed, hearing awesome high quality crash FX, then both people driving away as if it never happened..

13. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

There are cars in the game that handle a bit more realistic and are amazingly fun to drive thru the hills like the Vapid Dominator is insanely fun in the country at highspeeds.

The damage looks better when you can make it happen. Fenders flying off, bumpers. Also the wheels jam quite easily now to.

14. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

yeah, 2 mods that will pretty much have to be made once the pc port is out, is to make the handling much better, as well as how long it takes to get any decent damage

15. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

That Futo looks ridiculous, I'm glad you can't do that in V because it looks so impossible and stupid.

16. Raticon

Raticon
    Expand Collapse

I like all the input people are giving here. I don't own a console, and i guess i'll wait to get GTA V until i get a better computer and i feel the need for it. GTA 4 with the expansions still makes me smile when i think about the good times.

Granted, i've been around since GTA 1 and i say that about all these games, If i must decide i would go with Vice City being the best so far, mainly because of the whole atmosphere, music, cars, how dudes look etc... The whole '80s thing. No cell phone, no computers or the like. I think it's a tad dissapointing that they didn't set GTA V in the mid-late '70s or something, as GTA 1, 3 and 4 was "modern day" when they came, GTA 2 was in a sort of retro-futuristic RoboCop/Blade Runner/5th Element-esque "future", Vice city was the early 80's, San Andreas was the early '90s and GTA 4 was set in about 2008 when it came. Granted, GTA 1 had an expansion set in the '60s London, but it hardly counts i think.

With Mafia 1 being set in the '20s to mid '40s and Mafia 2 being set from the early to the late '50s i guess they didn't want to venture too far back in time in GTA as before the 70's could be named "Mafia territory" these days, and they were afraid to be judged compared to a possible sequel. Dunno if they will make a Mafia 3 though.

As for the cars in GTA V, i went to a friend and watched him play it on a console and i must say i was a tad bit dissapointed even there. I get a lot of GTA 4 vibes from them and i feel there is a sad lack of pre-90's cars to choose from. Most of the cars seem to be 2000 and later and i feel that they could've added some more, older cars especially to the more "poverty-stricken" parts of the map, but i digress, as i haven't played it much myself.

Too bad to see it is rather "arcadeish" on the car-side. One of the main things i liked in GTA 4 was the more realistic way that the behaviour and crash-effects that cars got vs the older games. Gotta love the feeling when you were cruising around in the "Emperor", that is the 80's style Cadillac/Ford LTD-esque car. Big and heavy like a barge with the classic soft suspension, and then the cops start chasing you for whatever reason and you were drifting and sliding all over the place in that big fat barge, the radio blasting "Liberty Rock Radio". Good times, as i said!

That's my 5 cents. As i said, too bad it was set in the modern age like GTA 4, 3 and 1. I think the series could benefit from some other time and age featured.

17. stephen f

stephen f
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree with TheAdmiester, the car damage look's alot better in V than IV. If you crash into another car or wall in IV you'll end up with a v shaped dent which look's totally unrealistic, like so 1209548116.jpg . I got to say that the customization for the futo is amazing ;).

0_0 (7).jpg 0_0 (9).jpg

18. bosseye

bosseye
    Expand Collapse

Exactly this. I hopped on a Quad bike last night and accidentally rolled very slowly off a rock, landed on my head a bit awkward and died (no way for my career criminal, survivor of a hundred gun battles to go!). Also last night I was speeding in my big Bentley knock off (whatever its called in game), ran head on into a Ferrari type thing which launched me skywards - and I inexplicably exploded for no clear reason.

The whole game seems geared towards a more realistic experience, in mechanics and environment - except when it comes to driving. Its a central mechanic that's utterly without consequence - pile into a bus at 100mph? Pfft, whatever, reverse and off we go, merrily on our way, perhaps with the bumper a bit loose and some scratching. It undermines large chunks of the game.

As I say the handling model has grown on me a lot (its still not perfect) but the odd damage is an inexplicable step down from IV.

I'm still loving the game, its a spectacular achievement, but there are areas which feel underdeveloped, lacking or just a plain missed opportunity.

19. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I've played all GTA games since GTA III. I enjoyed driving in all of the games, except V, because the physics back then were all you could get from ancient hardware and technology. From III to IV it feels like an evolution, but from IV to V it's like we're going backwards. I can drive around the whole map at full speed without using the brakes.

20. Samsuck

Samsuck
    Expand Collapse

Ehm! Mafia (2002) had pretty good car physics. And it run well on the hardware back then. GTA3 was arcadeish because developers thought that people want simple driving so everyone can play it and thet it's useless to work more on it. Then everyone did it GTA style because it sold milions of copies. And rockstar did the same with GTA5. It's not that you can't make it fun with reallistic physics it's just some kids that are used to shitty physics, but please GTA 5 is a game for adults and most of them drive cars as well. It would be much easier to learn drive in a game with reallistic physics, in arcadeish games you go at full throttle and steer like an idiot and it's only about luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice