GTA V discussion

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Slammington, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

I got 2 copies of GTAV bought on steam..... I hope R* will do something to make up for all the delays they have done.....

2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

It saddens me that someone is making a living making cars for a GTA game at a 12 year old's skill level, and not a soul in that company cares enough to tell them or fix it. You'd think a game with "auto" in the name would care about cars, but nope. Their car models are absolute garbage.

I have a revolutionary idea for Rockstar: hire someone who's seen a car in real life to model the cars. Pretty nuts, but it just might work.

At this point I'm convinced they just google "car", download the smallest 128x128 .jpeg, slice off their internet cable, close the shutters, and go to work modeling 100 cars. There's no other explanation for how awful their car models are.

3. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

WHS^ I 100% agree with you.

4. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I've seen every kind of bad art in AAA games but nothing approaches just how mind-blowingly terrible the car models are in GTA games. The designs are pathetic, the models are garbage, the textures are crap... how do these people get hired? You'd think a game about cars would require some kind of car knowledge... apparently not.

I think what's even sadder is that this level of mediocrity still made over a billion dollars, and that was just on the last gen consoles...

It begs the question... why do anything with any quality at all? You can do the worst job imaginable and still make a billion dollars.

5. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

I guess they rather go for quantity over quality.. which is really sad "lets put out the crap product everyone will buy it and we will make billions".

6. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Thing is... if someone who actually knew what they were doing had the job, they could turn out a car a day with good quality. Nobody in that company gives a damn about cars or knows anything about their design or engineering. It also pisses me off how they just keep churning out generic supercars while the game has literally one realistic FWD economy car; while the vast majority of real life traffic is FWD economy cars, the vast majority of GTA traffic is supercars because "omg so cool"

7. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

100% agree with you.

8. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

It's not all that bad (apart from the pillars)

(imported from here)

That said, most (i.e almost all) of their car models are below the quality standard for their time, especially in the 3d era. For IV and V, it's not as bad (as far as first glance), but I've begin to notice little things, lack of curved pillars, shading errors, and now the doors look weird, as if someone broke the smoothing groups. I completely agree with you on the engine/chassis details. The detail is rather poor, often the engine model is of the wrong type, and almost all cars use an IRS model (and geometry), which is just not right.

To give them some credit, the game is not entirely focused on cars, and there quite a few of them, but even so, a little knowledge and attention to detail goes a long way for an authentic experience. it could be worse though, much worse...

(imported from here)

Anyway, I do know that at least one employee at rockstar (the one who is responsible for the Futo) is interested in cars and has a history of making good models and textures. Ever noticed the intercooler on the Sultan RS?

9. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Yes, I know about Endo. He's still responsible for modeling a ton of cars with awful proportions and unrealistic straight pillars. He's done a terrible job, just like everyone else who modeled cars for GTA 4/5.

I just don't get the straight pillars. Step 1: Look at a real car. Step 2: See that it has curved pillars. Step 3: Curve the pillars on your model. Done. The cars already have the geometry; they just choose not to curve the pillars for whatever reason.

#109 gabester, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  10. Kreunz

Kreunz
    Expand Collapse

Look at Rockstars car's. Then look at the modders car's.

11. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

The only conclusion I can draw is the skill/effort from the modelers. That, and they probably know they can get away with it, because the average person who buys GTA is not going to be put off the game just because the vehicles lack attention to detail. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as dissapointed in the quality of their vehicles, and I know that you and many other people are capable of making far better models. Sadly for us though, Rockstar does not seem to care, and do whatever pleases their audience, most of which I doubt even know what a pillar is:(

Luckily though, we have BeamNG, which is what I will be playing from now;)

12. daniel_j

daniel_j
    Expand Collapse

Coming from someone who knows nothing about cars nor cares about them, they look fine to me, always have.
    That's the view the majority of GTA players take as we/they really don't care​.

13. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I agree, but I can definitely see where Gabe is coming from. When you're passionate and good at something, you start to see bad examples more clearly. Sort of like if you become fluent at building and configuring PCs, you start to realise how underpowered prebuilts are for their price. Odd example but hopefully you know what I meant.

Either way, when the PC version rolls around, there'll be a whole influx of car models from Forza (where the cars are a fair bit more accurate) that we can replace everything with.

As for GTA's original models, I wouldn't say they're genuinely bad, but considering the fact that they have to make a rather large car count and know that a lot of cars will be on screen at once and have to be rather low-poly, coupled with the fact that most people who play probably aren't hugely passionate about cars, I think they're just purposely modelled with a minimal level of detail.

14. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Here you go:
    car.png
    Get to work.

15. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Yup the smoothing groups have been awful for a while now, kind of gave up caring but that picture of the Sabre shows how crap they still are, this wasn't the case in GTA 4. I can easily live with crap like incorrect chassis layouts, non-curved pillars and strange design choices but awful graphical issues that stick out this badly are were it starts to become a true issue for me.

I just answered a support question that was posted yesterday about this issue, so it would be cool if you could go and even just hit the upvote button and hopefully this will get some attention and maybe a fix.

https://support.rockstargames.com/h...ons/202946627-Broken-smoothing-groups-on-cars

16. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

That first answer tho. Up voted for you.

First car that I noticed it on was the Warrener.

maxresdefault.jpg

warenner.png

17. roy99669

roy99669
    Expand Collapse

Lol, that was my question. I made it just after I saw you guys posting about it in this thread. :p And thanks for the thumbs up, I really hope this gets Rockstar's attention.

18. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I got a chance to play the next gen version for the first time today on a friend's PS4. Man, aside from the terrible car models, it's awesome. First person view makes everything 10 times more fun (even if most of the interiors are horrible). One memorable moment was when I stole a sailboat, then drove it upstream through a river, ran over a deer and 3 fishermen, then scaled 2 sets of rapids before getting stuck at the 3rd one when my mast hit a bridge.

I think they tweaked the vehicle handling a little between the 360/PS3 version and the XB1/PS4 version. The cars feel a little less ridiculously glued to the road and actually have... handling characteristics. Still doesn't seem to be any engine damage though. I like some of the new cars (except for the straight pillars), like the old Mercedes knockoff, the Citroen SM knockoff, and the old Skyline knockoff. It's also pretty fun to punt the Smart knockoff around in a big truck.

I also spent about 15 minutes riding a bicycle in first person and running people over... that was pretty hilarious :D I then lit the entire bike on fire and accidentally popped both its tires trying to ignite the gasoline, then rode it around after the fire went out like nothing happened. Durable bike.

19. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

As a major car enthusiast I agree with Gabe, it drives me up the wall how shit R*'s cars are. They added first person & didn't even try to replicate the real life interiors, nor do they try to replicate real life handling. GTA & all racing games need to learn 1 thing. We want more realistic & generic shitboxes.

20. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

They've added like a dozen more sports/super/luxury cars to the game since the initial 360/PS3 release and I barely even notice them because they all look and drive exactly the same. Meanwhile there's a grand total of three FWD economy cars - the Asea, Blista, and the Premier. That's it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice