GTX 970 low performance?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by smeek14, Jan 3, 2015.

1. smeek14

smeek14
    Expand Collapse

SO I recently build a new gaming computer. Here are the specs:
    CPU- intel i5 4590s
    GPU- gtx 970 MSI OC
    ram- 8gb
    PSU- 500 watts

My fps is lower than I was expecting. I get around 40-60 fps average maxed out. on maps such as dry rock island. I am just curious if anyone would have any idea as of why my fps is that low. Are some of my parts not sufficient? Could it be a bad driver? I am running the latest one. (347.09) Also does anyone have a similar build? If so could you tell me what fps you get at what settings? Please bare with me as Iam new to this game and also computers in general.

Thank you in advance for answering.

2. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

FYI, the experimental branch has the frame rate capped at 60 fps..

3. smeek14

smeek14
    Expand Collapse

It is not capped for me. I get over 100 fps on the grid map.

4. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Are you on the experimental version?

5. smeek14

smeek14
    Expand Collapse

I received a steam key and I am running the version I downloaded from steam.

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

That's a no then. For experimentals (keeping in mind they are really buggy) you have to opt in by right click the game in your steam library, properties, betas.

I don't know that model i5 from the top of my head, but its possible you are CPU bottlenecking.

7. smeek14

smeek14
    Expand Collapse

My cpu is clocked at 3 ghz

8. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

It's a known issue with the GTX 970/980 cards, they just don't work well in some games. Seems to happen to random people with random games, probably a driver issue. I hope it's fixed by the time I get one...

- - - Updated - - -

A 4590 shouldn't bottleneck, it's a good CPU. Slightly worse performance than a 4670.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I just Intel arked it.
    Has the system accidentally been set to power saving mode rather than high performance?

Also I know the stable branch is using an older Torque3d version, torque3d isn't known for its whoppingly high framerates in the first place but the current experimental version updated its Torque3d version too, the newer Torque3d does seem to run much more smoothly.

10. smeek14

smeek14
    Expand Collapse

That could be. Also I have not installed any other games besides this so I unfortunately have no other games to compare this to so I cannot tell if it is a pc issue. But if it is a driver issue or a game issue then I will wait patiently for it to be fixed. If my computer performs worse then expected on other games then I will know it's a pc issue. But thank you for all the great replies. I appreciate it.

11. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

I have a i5 4690K and a 970 at stock clocks and getting over 80FPS on all maps, and still get 40 with the T-Series when I do the experimental version...

12. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

That's just wrong, I have a 4690K and a R9 270 and I get 70FPS with a T75...

13. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Have a Gigabyte 970 and i7 2600k, get ~55FPS on all maps at 1440p/maxxed settings except AA. Something seems wrong here unless OP's running at a higher resolution.

14. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I know torque3D had issues with big Kepler and later, 750/it, 970/980. More recent builds might fix that.

15. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

BTW The card is bog stock, not factory overclocked, and my CPU is throttling slightly because I need a new heatsink (CBA to fit it yet)

16. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

A stock 970 is still worlds better than my 270 @1050 MHz (effectively turning it into a 270X).
    With the stock cooler and turbo boost disabled, I still got 65 FPS. Turbo boost enabled, 75-80 FPS with a T75 and got to 80-90C on the stock cooler, 60-65 on a 212 Evo.

Something is wrong there.

17. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

CPU throttling. Drops core clock to base (3.5) or lower. Individual cars are each on one core. Get a proper cooler on that 4690k up to 3.9Ghz and it will be amazing.

18. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I never exceeded 90C on the stock cooler and thermal throttling temperature is 100C.
    If you reach 100C playing BeamNG even with the stock cooler you installed it wrong.

19. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately I cannot overclock... The bundled motherboard I got with my pre-built computer (it was on sale and cheaper that my original computer I would build). It is a ASUS H81M-PLUS, a budget MOBO but upgrading either later this year or next. And my 970 has been running slowly recently, and when I tried to overclock, I caused the graphics card to crash along with my computer (no blue screen but visual anomalies and EXTREMELY slow performance), I have it modestly overclocked right now and the temperatures seem ok (MSI Afterburner 102% Power Limit, +195 Mhz core clock and 400Mhz memory clock at max 75 degrees) so I really dont know what to do?... I'll see if the drivers are old I guess, even though I'm sure I updated them. But I can play stuff like BF4 at 60+ FPS with no dips bellow 60 on a 64 player map?! Like WTF, and Euro Truck up scaled to basically 4k on ultra with smooth 60FPS??

EDIT:

Just took a picture of the heat sink I shall be putting into the PC, it's no H100i but hell, it's free!

Attached Files:

• IMG_1434.JPG
    • IMG_1433.JPG
    #19 cameron4me, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  20. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

If BF4 and ETS2 are fine, it's obviously CPU performance. Not thermal throttling since that would be very obviously noticeable even in other games and your PC would shut down after a short time. My guess is the motherboard, 8x chipsets are not fully compatible with Devil's Canyon. You should update the BIOS to its latest version, although it should be updated since factory 8x chipset BIOS won't take Devil's Canyon at all.
    Do check temperatures though, Intel's stock cooler in a poor airflow case could cause thermal throttling if turbo boost is not disabled. You can disable turbo boost from any board.

Won't do much without a fan :|
    The heatsink seems to be a very odd shape too, with what seems like 40mm wide side surfaces. Doesn't look like it's designed to take a fan, although it's definitely not big enough to cool a CPU without one. Unless your case is literally a wind tunnel (which I highly doubt, since pre-built computers usually come with generic cases with shit airflow), that heatsink will be even worse than the stock Intel cooler.

#20 BlueScreen, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice