GTX 970 low performance?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by smeek14, Jan 3, 2015.

1. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

It does have a fan, however it is embedded inside the heatsink, and the fan is something like 70mm, and the case is a AeroCool Dead Silence cube case, not a generic box.

2. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Then it should be fine. Didn't see the fan in the pictures.
    Anyway, try updating your board's BIOS, if that doesn't work check temperatures.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Cable was a giveaway

4. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

The highest temperature my CPU has reached is 75 degrees Celsius, not particularly hot but I prefer it to be cooler.

Also (I'm probably sound like a complete and total tit but bare with me) how do you update the BIOS, I haven't updated a BIOS ever and don't want to fuck my computer up, thanks.

5. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Download ASUS AI suite 3 and use EZ update.

6. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

I've done that, and set the performance setting to "Performance mode" (I thought I did that before but I have the memory of a goldfish) and now in CPUZ it says the multiplier can go up to 43, instead of the original 39 turbo boost. BTW I forgot to mention that the 40FPS with the T-Series was on the race track (the new one that I can't remember the name) and most other places it doesn't drop below 60 (probably extremely important but oh well).

Here is the temperatures when idling and the CPU-Z thing as well.

Attached Files:

• CPU-Z.JPG
  7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Pretty important. The raceway and east coast USA both use the visual mesh for collisions and lack LoD models both of which increase lag. Although in the microblogs thread there were shots showing progress on LoD's and dedicated collision meshes for east coast USA (it is literally a case of current experimental not having those added yet)

8. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Performance mode on a 4690K will go up to 4.3-4.4 GHz. I wouldn't recommend overclocking on an Hxx board, but you can still do it.

Also, Hirochi Raceway is an experimental map and probably unoptimised so that's your issue.

9. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

PHEW! I thought I was going to have to send it back! Now all I have to do is fix the glitch I have with my signature so I can actually change it to my new specs...

10. smeek14

smeek14
    Expand Collapse

*bump* yea I was able to play FC4 maxed out at well over 60 fps (at 1080p). I don't think it's a graphics card issue. Any other suggestions.

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I have issues with my GTX970 with BeamNG. As far as i can tell its not something that the average user (me included) could fix, there seems to be way more to it than that.

Open some software that can give you real time GPU stats, MSI afterburner or evga precision X will both do it, there are many other bits of software too. Take a look at your GPU utilization, for me it pretty much never goes above 60%, when the frame rate starts going down i notice that the GPU utilization also goes down at the same time, what causes what and all that other technical stuff i haven't looked into and i dont really have the relevant knowledge to actually dig much deeper than that.

This video shows Thomas was alone first then BeamNG. I have issues with both. But games like Far Cry 4 look amazing and run smoothly, so as has been said its not that the cards are incapable of performing well, they just suck in certain games.

#31 aljowen, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Any pattern as to directx versions these games use?

13. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

There seems to be no pattern, and some cards perform well in some games where others perform badly.
    I haven't tested mine with Beam yet.

14. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

I have, my G1 970 has no problems with Beam and utilization only goes down when I become CPU bound (as with the T75) which should be expected. If the GPU actively has to wait for the CPU to finish its part of drawing the frame then it obviously won't be at 100% usage.

15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

For me its exclusive to DirectX9 games. Anything above that runs just fine. For instance GTA4 runs pretty badly, especially if i install an HD texture pack at which point i may as well be playing on a gtx570/gtx580, its only about 5-6fps faster than my old 560ti in that game. Same thing for BeamNG too. But i am kinda lucky in that the only map that causes me serious issues is Dry Rock island, East Coast runs very well for me as well as industrial which runs pretty nicely too. It seems the card has enough brute force to deal with the issues on those maps since i can see while playing them that the utilisation issue still exists.
    I also get the issue on Thomas was Alone which was showed in that video. Nvidia claims that i my CPU is bottlenecking the card, but i think it is fair to say that Thomas Was Alone is not exactly pushing any part of the system never mind the CPU.
    So i am left assuming its some other weird issue, the only solution people have found is to reformat their computers and that doesn't have a huge success rate. I have tried DDU as well as taking the 560ti out of my system alongside many other things, i cant get anything to help.
    Maybe nvidia has decided that dx9 only needs to be kept as legacy so they rely on the cards being fast enough to run most dx9 games without optimisation, but that means that new demanding dx9 games (of which there really aren't many) are pretty screwed.

I would like to see BeamNG running on a newer version of directX to be honest, maybe i should try using openGL if Beam supports that.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't, but the recent suggestion thread on glNext/Vulcan did seem to get a good response from tDev. Plus for the mac/linux ports of torque3d we'd need either OpenGL or vulcan, there is interest in vulcan on the torque3d forums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice