WIP Harlow's Monster Trucks

Discussion in 'Land' started by TrilbyHarlow, Sep 15, 2013.

1. TrilbyHarlow

TrilbyHarlow
    Expand Collapse

But PENDA was amazingly good. And racing under FELD's banner is the same old shite over and over again with no serious presentation or regard for monsters as racing machines

Oh, and speaking of such awful handling of monster trucks, spiderman's textured. As usual, click for 3d preview

(View in 3D)

(imported from here)

2. Dr.pain

Dr.pain
    Expand Collapse

Beautiful!! wishes as little worry with the work dude! :) I can not wait for a proper monster truck :)

3. TrilbyHarlow

TrilbyHarlow
    Expand Collapse

Decided to do a custom truck for a change

(View in 3D)

(imported from here)

It's called blizzard, i couldn't think of a way to make text fit in but i think it looks better without a name anyway.

4. Dr.pain

Dr.pain
    Expand Collapse

when will it be released? :-( :)

5. TrilbyHarlow

TrilbyHarlow
    Expand Collapse

there's no nodebeaming tools, so whenever the hell those and the prop placing UI thing get released

- - - Updated - - -

Monster Mutt/Hulk

(View in 3D)

(imported from here)

The ears need work. They need the little band holding them down, and i don't know how to do them, since i doubt they'll get a nodebeam. So i guess i'll just flop them down the sides using a physics sim in blender.

No hinge for the roof flap, no hinges on the boot lid, no clasp holding that down and no mechanism for the tounge, which is also too high. i'll sort that in the morning

6. aman1127

aman1127
    Expand Collapse

I just dled ROR to play with some trucks and I must say that having no damage took away from the whole experience. Sick air with no broken suspension? No cars to crunch? Cmon! I really cant wait for your release

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Its called notepad or DriveEditor or some other text editor (my favourite is actually nano)

8. TrilbyHarlow

TrilbyHarlow
    Expand Collapse

Monster Mutt Dalmation (View in 3D)

(imported from here)

Monster mutt's done

9. TrilbyHarlow

TrilbyHarlow
    Expand Collapse

Et tu brute?

Brutus (View in 3D)

(imported from here)

I think i'm the dog king. I've done the mutts, brutus and blizzard.

werid

10. TrilbyHarlow

TrilbyHarlow
    Expand Collapse

Monster Mutt Rotty (View in 3D)

(imported from here)

Mutt Rotty. A friend painted the fur for me, rest is all my hand

11. TrilbyHarlow

TrilbyHarlow
    Expand Collapse

12. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Anything happening with these in-game? The poly count isn't very well suited so if you do decide to port them in then reduce it a bit :p

13. D0ntstare

D0ntstare
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree, you do alot of work on these awesome trucks, but where does it all go? I presume you make them for some kind of portfolio for potential employers?

14. aman1127

aman1127
    Expand Collapse

They're coming to the game, crucial updates from the devs need to happen first

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

15. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Aw this looks so cool I just hope it isnt going to make my XFX HD5770 Struggle when doing this I want this to be a good mod it looks so far to be awesome I cannot wait for it to be released..

16. RockCrwlr

RockCrwlr
    Expand Collapse

It's both portfolio and waiting for a UI update with node beaming tools. As for the poly count, that's just what he does, about half of them are useless for a game but look great when rendering.

17. Glenni91

Glenni91
    Expand Collapse

A lot of people model this way, make it high poly, and then texture bake a lot of detail later on, on a lower detail version of the model.

18. TrilbyHarlow

TrilbyHarlow
    Expand Collapse

Basically what rock and this last guy said are bang on. I'll get working on a monster truck nodebeam when the BeamNG wombles want me to. I've said it before and i'll say it again, releasing a user content based game without any tools for users to create content is fucking suicide. And honestly i wouldn't be surprised if it killed BeamNG outright. It's already done a lot of damage, and continuing to not release it is just salting the wound, pouring in some sewage water and then twisting the knife for good measure.

And all my models are subsurf, which is essentially autoIK for modelling. And because of this, i can adjust the polycount easily. I've mostly just posted bake models, for baking really good shadows and normals to the lower poly mesh 'underneath'. 80% of models in retail games do exactly that, especially on organic and soft surface models. I'm willing to bet 95% of character models are sculpted in zbrush/mudbox/whatever with polycounts in the millions, and then gradually whittled down to maybe a few thousand. Likewise with my models, i know that even with fully 3d body bolts and edge seams and accurate door assembly and all that crap, Digger sits at almost exactly 9,000 triangles. Which is actually less than most frames i've seen. Likewise wrecking crew sits at 5k, brutus actually is only 4k somehow, and so on and so on. I can be expedient when i want, but when i test the meshes in ROR i go with subsurf level 2 just because i can.

#38 TrilbyHarlow, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  19. TrilbyHarlow

TrilbyHarlow
    Expand Collapse

And while we wait for tools, have a thing i made for a laugh.

Harlow's Custom Van Body (View in 3D)

(imported from here)

I'd like some feedback on it, since it's a pretty rough draft right now. So yeah, fire away

20. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

It also doesn't help that every user created item is almost instantly stolen and put on some foreign site for all the world to download.

As for your van, dude it looks awesome. I love all the downward slopes and pointed edges, just looking at it I get an 'angry face' feel from it's body. Looks evil really, I love it.

Any plans to do 'Maximum Destruction'? Out of all of them, I kinda like his body the best. If it was flat olive drab, it would look very military. He also tends to put on the best show for his fans.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice