1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Heavy lag, freezes and long loading times

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Zero, May 31, 2021.

1. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

Around 2 weeks ago, my game started to have performance issues.
    It happens all the time on Italy, a very few times on other maps (Utah for example.)

The game has many lag spikes, when loading vehicles it will sometimes take a really long time (5 minutes+) and most of time I end up force quiting.
    Meanwhile, other maps almost always work fine.

Sometimes, going into settings can also make the game freeze.

I fear it may be a ram issue, as I only have 8 GB. However, it has never been a problem before as I said.

The lag, happens around 10 seconds in:

(after this clip, I spawned another vehicle and it seemed to work all good. The issue is weird.)

The long loading times (ending up force quitting)

Specs:
    I7 4790 3.6ghz
    8 GB RAM
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Windows 10
    G27

I tried:
    Safe mode
    Reinstall game
    Clear cache
    Deleting \AppData\Local\BeamNG.drive\0.22

I am out of clues, tried reading the logs but didn't give me much. Not sure what to look for.
    Only thing of interest I found was this line, not sure if it could cause it:
    308.48031|E|DirectInputDeviceV2::processAsync|DirectInputDevice::processAsync -- wheel0 input device's event buffer overflowed!

#1 Zero, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ㅤㅤㅤ...

ㅤㅤㅤ...
    Expand Collapse

same and slimiar specs

3. a plane guy

a plane guy
    Expand Collapse

The Italy map has a lot of buildings and trees so it can impact your frames a lot.
    Never seen it on that scale tho bloody hell.

4. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

I don't have this but I've always had another lag issue with Italy, if I choose airport as spawn point I get those lag spikes described above but shorter, doesn't happen on any other spawn point, even when I free cam somewhere else entirely it doesn't stop, when I start from runway and teleport to airport there are no issues, clean reinstalled game once or twice and didn't help, has been happening ever since the update that added Italy.

5. angelo234

angelo234
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer
    BeamNG Team

I think your limited RAM is the problem, since BeamNG takes up 6 GB of RAM on Italy for me. Even if you have 8 GB, Windows has other processes it needs to run at the same time and in my case with 16 GB of RAM, about 12 GB is used in total with all other applications closed except BeamNG. And so you end up with the garbage collector kicking in all the time trying to clean up old memory to make room for new memory allocations, and hence the lag spikes. And possibly the update could have affected this.

6. Braydon Byrd

Braydon Byrd
    Expand Collapse

I have the same issue except for every map, including gridmap, but the lag gets better as I play but loading times are really slow and like to freeze my game forcing me to force stop it and sometimes freezes my entire PC lol. I run a 11th gen Intel i5 11400f, RTX 2060 6gb, 8gb ddr4 ram and a 500 gb SSD I think it's a ram issue because in task manager it says I'm running about 96% ram usage in gridmap. I only run a few things on the side (discord, Spotify, sometimes the steam launcher) I used to have the same issue with other games such as Phasmophobia but after wiping my backup hardrive it fixed phas but not beamng as it's not installed on my HDD. I should be getting my new stick of ram in a few days. Wish me luck

#6 Braydon Byrd, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  7. jackmo2207

jackmo2207
    Expand Collapse

I've got the problem too, and 0.25 seems like it might've made it worse

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. a plane guy

a plane guy
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, im also getting similar performance like this on all maps

9. martin_

martin_
    Expand Collapse

Can you keep an eye on the FPS? I'm having a similar issue but the FPS counter doesn't go down at all, it's still stable at 40-50FPS, while the game runs at 1-10fps at points.

EDIT: Also, try playing at Fullscreen mode, it fixes the issue for me for some reason. Borderless fullscreen and Windowed are the ones that have issues for me.

#9 martin_, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  10. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

RAM usage, 0.23 with 100+ mods driving in Italy uses as much RAM as 0.25 with 0 mod driving in Gridmap

• Like Like x 1
  11. Puggetty

Puggetty
    Expand Collapse

Hey all

1) Full screen solves the issue for me.
    2) I found that if I disabled shadow play (or instant replay in shadow play) it solved the issue

Hope this helps

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice