Help with map object collisions

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by aljowen, Feb 15, 2014.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I cant get a bridge model i am currently making to import into BeamNG. I have tried (with and without) following Nadeox1's tutorial.

The collision mesh is picked up and shown perfectly in the shape editor but i can never get anything to collide with it. I have it set to collision mesh in the object editor (every option gets the same results anyway at the moment)

Please say if you want me to upload any other screenshots/attachments.

Attached Files:

#1 aljowen, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. SPRTR888

SPRTR888
    Expand Collapse

Change collisionType to 'Visible Mesh'.
    help4.PNG

#2 SPRTR888, Feb 15, 2014
  3. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Visable mesh did never work for me and you rarly want the collision having the exact same topology as the rendered mesh as this will cause performance problems that you can avoid by using low poly collision meshes.

The reason why you don't get any collision model at all in the game is a typo within the bridge.dae file, it sais "Collmesh-1" but it has to be "Colmesh-1", only one "L". :p
    Furthermore you will have to center the origin of your mesh in its very center and the mesh then recentered related to its parent(empty) after you are done modeling or everything will be messed up ingame, also you need to turn the origin of the colmesh 180° around the vertical axis to get the colmesh being congruent/aligned to the rendered mesh ingame... don't ask me why, i have no idea.
    Note that the origins orientations now may look different than in your version, also because of the fact that i use C4D which has a different global orientation than blender, that means that the way in which you have to rotate the origin might be different in blender too, but you will easyly figure that out by importing and adjusting (use Debug mode 5 to see collision triangles).
    I put a fixed version of the .dae in the attachments, enjoy and have fun creating content! :)

Edit: Btw how is this supposed to work? lol howthe.jpg

Attached Files:

#3 NkosiKarbul, Feb 15, 2014
  4. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, this should help a ton. Yeah that's totally how i had planned to use it :p Its will just need resizing for 2 lanes each way.
    I wish visible mesh did work, would have made my life a lot easier on low poly objects, but alas nothing happens when i use that.

EDIT:
    Ok, am i missing something?

EDIT2:
    Ok, its just started working now that i have alt+tabbed back into the game...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, i have managed to get my original model in game with collisions, thank you for the help. I didn't need to do any of the rotations stuff in blender.

Attached Files:

• Huh.jpg
    #4 aljowen, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  5. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

No problem, every content creator is welcome! :)
    Hm, the picture looks like its not working correctly or did you spawn the bridge inside the truck? :p
    And if you have no rotation problems i would guess mine is caused by the different global orientation of my programs axis. ^^

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I have now realised that the problem was that you need to press f11 before BeamNG will update its collisions. So i didnt think it worked while in f11 mode and went back to normal for the picture so it updated. I guess its another quirk of the editor :p
    But i am so pleased that i can now make objects with collisions, It should make my maps much better than the buildingless things of past. I guess its time to build a city...

Dont mind the painted on roads, they are just for planning/visualization.

Attached Files:

• Untitled-1.jpg
  7. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Ah ok i see, and yes i forgot about that, but its actually a known ...function... of Torque3D that the collision shapes only get updated once you close the editor by pressing F11 a second time, so it at least is a persistent behaviour and not only appearing randomly like some other things.^^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice